HELP: BSODs and Lockups, Unable to Determine Cause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: BSODs and Lockups, Unable to Determine Cause

About the time I reported having issues with my G7, I also started experiencing random and not very frequent BSODs, especially after a restart.

At first, I thought perhaps it might have been due to older version of nV driver I had installed for my 8800GT.

After upgrading to the latest 175.19 driver 2 weeks back, I am starting to see these BSODs on startup as well as restarts.

Just today, I had experienced two lockups. Both times required me to push the reset button on the front of my case.

I also just ran 3 passes of Memtest86+ v.1.60 on my RAM after making sure my timings and voltage were correctly set. No errors were reported or found. I ran all 10 tests.

During the BSODs, I noticed two things:
    1. IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS
    2. Minidump to hard disk

After doing a Google search to make sure I remember what this IRQL error was about, I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this problem.

Link 1
    Link 2

According to those, it's usually caused by incorrect or corrupt drivers, BIOS, memory, and/or memory controller.

The only two solutions I see is a Windows Repair and a complete reinstall (painful).

My system specs are listed in my signature.

What else can I do?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: HELP: BSODs and Lockups, Unable to Determine Cause

can you roll back that video driver to a previous one. Better yet uninstall it. and clear it completely out then reinstall the previous one.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I've already tried that. I still got the BSODs and such. I did that last week and a day later, it froze on the Windows welcome screen. I then uninstalled the old one and reinstalled the new one.

I did speak to Bamboo and he told me that something like 70% of those with nVidia cards still get BSODs and freezing problems. He also had a BSOD about an hour before I posted this thread.

Part of me says it's the nV drivers and the other part says something else is causing this (but don't know what).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ive never had an issue with Nv drivers. Have you tried teh omega drivers? they might fix your problem.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

This:
          IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS
          suggests a driver problem. It it most likely an Nvidia driver problem.
          sigpic

Comment

there should have been a file name with that BSOD IRQ error. If you get it, it makes this much easier.

This typically means that hardware can't find a valid IRQ. You might have to many devices being used on the motherboard and it runs into irq assignment problems. This is common with deluxe motherboards that have a slew of devices built in to the motherboard.

My best suggestion is to disable some mobo devices in the bios like firewire, audio, wifi etc and then see how it runs. If you can get a dxdiag or report of the file causing the error that would help.

- -

Comment

I have the minidump files, but can't make much sense of them. I also don't know which program to use to read minidumps, as Notepad and Wordpad both display garble when I open the minidump with either of those text editors.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I have the minidump files, but can't make much sense of them.
                Unless you have lots of debugging tools installed, and write code for a living, not much you can do with these. Does your event log have entries related to the BSODs ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Not sure. Since you mention debugging tools, reminds me to install my programming tools.

One of them should open the file fine. :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, it seems the nVidia display drivers are to blame.

I got another BSOD trying to restart the machine. It seems I can no longer restart the machine (through START > Restart) because of the poorly written/buggy nV drivers.

Here is the BSOD screenshot (taken with a camera):

After a quick Google search, I found another person who had trouble a year ago with his nV drivers and it caused this same BSOD error.

Edit:

I just submitted a report to nVidia through their Quality Assurance page. Hopefully they'll fix it before the next darn version of Windows releases.

For once, I'm starting to regret purchasing my 8800 GT.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

From msdn: This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code :(

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

If you use Windows debugging tools and have the crash .dmp files to open, the commands ".ecxr" and "!analyze -v" are pretty helpful to spit out something that makes sense down to a specific file.

Comment

What version of windows are you running? What service pack are you running? If it is SP3, did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

I have seen a few people having issues when they upgrade to SP3 rather than doing a clean install.

Comment

Originally posted by gator skywalker View Post
                            What version of windows are you running? What service pack are you running? If it is SP3, did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

I have seen a few people having issues when they upgrade to SP3 rather than doing a clean install.

Check his siggy: Vista home premium x64 :)

DB

| |

Comment

Yeah, that's the general impression I got from Google searches: nVidia drivers are accessing stuff "out of bounds".

If the drivers don't get better in the next few months, I'm going to try and get a HD4850 instead.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X