Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Firewall Suggestions?

Background

I used to be a ZoneAlarm Pro user, but uninstalled it about 2 years back due to problems with certain games.

I just uninstalled Comodo Firewall Pro (v3) due to connectivity problems with a older game (Freelancer).

The Now...

There was a thread on firewalls a while back that I can't find. I remember Tiny Personal Firewall being on there, but it is no longer maintained.

Sygate doesn't exist anymore.

Anyone have any free firewall suggestions?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Free Firewall Suggestions?

I was actually going to say Comodo because it is the only one I have looked at and is Vista64 ready. Can't believe Zonealarm still isn't.

Are you sure Comodo is unfixable?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm pretty sure.

I had it installed. Set up FL to have full access to my network. Set up port exceptions. Everything I could think of. FL wouldn't connect to any online server (but I could see the global server list).

I can't remember the games that ZA Pro had problems with. I get the nagging impression that one of the games was BF2142. Though, I'm not sure.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=keriopf

When you install it, choose the "learning" mode. You will get many permission prompts, but it will cover your butt big-time. Be sure to configure the application control features. No more programs doing things without you knowing about it. For programs you can trust, set it to Allow, run the program, then put it back on Ask Every Time. That way, the program you ran under Allow will keep that permission, and new programs are still under lock-down.

Comment

Does Zone Alarm still have issues with XP SP3?

Comment

It shouldn't.

Okay I check with some server admins on Freelancer. One has said that Comodo does work with FL, but I have yet to speak to these other users to see what settings they used. I for one have tried everything I could think of and could not get FL to work online while Comodo was installed.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I found one that has 64-bit support, but doesn't list Vista: GhostWall. I'm going to install it tomorrow and test how well it performs and if it works with FL. :)
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm surprised you're actually looking for a Firewall solution. The Router and Windows Firewall should be more than sufficient....

Aside from that, it'll start to get confusing as to which firewall is blocking what...
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I have Windows Firewall turned off. As for my router's hardware firewall, it's always on.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X