LG's planet-saving W2252TE LCD tested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG's planet-saving W2252TE LCD tested

Thought I would pass this quick news piece on.

It is for LG's new low power using LCD.

LG's planet-saving W2252TE LCD tested

I was thinking it would look that great, but they say it does. Good news, and it saves on your power bill, and probably the heat it gives off too.:icon11:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: LG's planet-saving W2252TE LCD tested

Wow, when it rains it pours (hopefully not acid rain like in china :()

Fujitsu Siemens ships world's first zero-watt monitor

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Had the impression that the Fujitsu drew 0 wattage when turned on and in use...oh well.

Drawing a little power in standby is fine. Forking over a premium for that monitor means it'll take me many years of power savings before that monitor begins to become worth it.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

[sarcastic rant]
        Anybody know where I can get a gasoline powered monitor? My carbon footprint isn't big enough! I currently have my computer hooked up to it's own generator! This way I don't have to worry about power surges!
        [/sarcastic rant]

Comment

I am actually interested in this because I hope it trickles out to all monitors and other devices so that the cost is the same. If you add up all the people in your city's "vampire" energy waste (energy used by things when they are turned off) it is quite a sizable ammount of power lost.

How many people for instance know that your cell phone charger uses power even if you don't have your phone plugged in. Just plugging the cord in the wall uses power.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I do. Again, it's not much power (unless it's a really big o' transformer unit).

I'm sure that tech will trickle down to other hardware as people become more and more energy-minded.

Better yet, I would love to see OLED screens replace LCDs completely. They draw a tiny fraction of the amount of power LCDs do and can be made ultra thin and very flexible. :)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't OLEDs degrade much faster though? I have an OLED-screened MP3 player, and it wasn't a week before the little image that appears while charging dimmed those illuminated pixels by a noticable amount.

Comment

I don't know. I don't think so if they can make flexible displays with it. PC World magazine had an article on it a few years back and from there, it spurred my interest in this "new" technology.

I can't seem to find the article right now, but Engadget had a article about how Sony displayed their first OLED "TV" display at a conference earlier this year. From the side, it's almost invisible since it has no perceivable thickness. The colors looked amazing as did the contrast on the display.

There's also another company that is working on a "flexible" PDA-like display/device. I don't recall the company name. (I might have also read about it on Engadget...not sure.)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm waiting for the paper thin OLED monitor so I can hang it on the wall like a poster! Sweetness!

Comment

Sony didn't mention any figures, but I don't think it'll be cheap. My guess is $10,000 is probably a good starting figure. Even the, that might be a low starting price where Sony is concerned.

Edit:

AHA!

I think I found the article (or might be a updated one): http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/s...nch-oled-hdtv/

That should get some eyeballs rolling. ;)

Definitely a new article on it. Still can't find the Sony conference demo I read about (sometime last year?).

Not the greatest specs. But look at what it can do in 10-bit depth color.

Now that does look pretty amazing to my eyes. :)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually the little one they have out now was on sale the other day at sam's club. Endgadget had pics

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Do you remember the price Sam's Club was selling it for?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It'll be a while before OLED's are practical, I'd give it a few years before they are worth buying... at all.

Sony has their OLED for $2500 although it was shown on sale (I doubt for very long) at that sam's club.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

"Now that does look pretty amazing to my eyes."

You're able to see 30-bit color in a 24-bit JPEG? That's pretty amazing on its own.

Comment

Engadget * Engadget Search * RSS Feed * Contact us * Tip us on news! Sony's XEL-1 OLED TV spotted at Sam's Club for $1,748

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X