4870 X2 and 4850 X2 gets official

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4870 X2 and 4850 X2 gets official

Today is AMD's big day, so thought I would pass on some of the many reviews that are out. Sounds like really good news for AMD.

The Radeon HD 4870 X2 has a SRP of US$599 which is slightly higher than expected, but still not completely unreasonable when you consider that it comes with 2GB of GDDR5 which is still quite expensive. The Radeon HD 4850 X2 uses GDDR3 memory and comes in at a much more reasonable US$399, but at least it also comes with 2GB.
    I'm sure it won't be long before we see it much cheaper than that with sales and rebates.

AMD also seems to have taken advantage of its SidePort technology and created a fast interface between the GPUs for direct communications which offers data speeds of up to 5GB/s compared to a mere 900MB/s over the CrossFire interface. A new PCIe 2.0 bridge chip could possibly also help improve the overall performance of these new cards, although its hard to say how much of a performance improvement this adds, as currently no graphics card is using up the full bandwidth of a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot.
    Links:
    Just announcement:
    4870 X2 and 4850 X2 gets official

AMD Launches Radeon HD 4870 X2, Radeon HD 4850 X2 Announced at a $400 Price-point

Reviews:

AMD's Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics card Double-barreled badness

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 in CrossfireX

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - AMD Back On Top

AMD's Radeon HD 4870 X2 - Testing the Multi-GPU Waters

Sapphire AMD (ATI) Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB: opening up a can of whoop-ass

AMD's Radeon HD 4870 X2: R700 First-Look : Two Times The Compute Power

The site lists a ton more review sites incase you are looking for a review with a certain game and none of the above have it:

AMD's Radeon HD 4870 X2 arrives

Bottom line as you can see from the head lines is it is a very powerful card. It still needs driver work, since some games, like Crysis, don't show nearly as much improvement as other games. Games like Conan and Call of Duty have it on top though.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 4870 X2 and 4850 X2 gets official

Looks truly impressive :icon_eek:

However it looks like for common folks running at 1680 x 1050 or even the 19## x 12## people that a 4870X2 is over kill :row__635: Thats scary power.

Comment

That's some card...but who can afford it?

If I were to build a new rig today I would go with Hd 4870.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

When it drops down to about $450 in the next couple of months, a lot of people are going to be able to afford it. A lot of sites are now reporting the list price is $550, not $599.

And yeah, right now it is overkill for most things except Crysis (suck), but who knows how hard core the games out between now and Christmas will be. I just posted in the general forums the official specs for farcry2, but for those that missed it:

Ubisoft just unleashed the Far Cry 2 requirements for the PC version of the open-world shooter and the minimum requirements actually aren't that bad. The recommended requirements? Don't ask, I'm still trying to get over the realization that my one-year old computer is now officially out-dated.

Minimum requirements
        CPU: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, Pentium D 2.66 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better
        RAM: 1 GB
        Video card: NVidia 6800 or ATI X1650 or better, Shader Model 3 required, 256 Mb of graphic memory
        Media reader: DVD-ROM
        Hard drive space: ~12 Gig or HD space. (tbd)

Recommended
        CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better
        RAM: 2 GB
        Video card: NVidia 8600 GTS or better, ATI X1900 or better, 512 Mb of graphic memory
        Sound: 5.1 sound card recommended
        Supported Video cards:
        NVidia 6800, NVidia 7000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 200 series. 8800M and 8700M supported for laptops. ATI X1650 – 1950 series , HD2000 series , HD3000 series , HD4000 series .

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Some just popped up on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eon+HD+4870+X2

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Quick update, and I'm looking forward to seeing some scores:

HD4850 X2 outperforms GTX280

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

thing is sold out on newegg lol =/ i cannot justify buying it anyway