Speeding up Window's Startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding up Window's Startup

So last night a TG guy hit me up on X-fire and was looking for a program that would let him delay some startup processes so that his computer would boot up faster. I have been planning to look into something like that for a while now, but hadn't gotten around to it. Figured that was as good a time as any, and looked back through my bookmarks and tried some stuff and have got to say I'm happy with the results.

Will start off saying that when I 1st installed Vista, I could push the power button and go take a leak and by the time I got back, everything was good to go. But of course, after a while, and installing the ton of apps and programs I run, that time has greatly increased, to well over 2 mins.

After doing what I talk about below, I can double click on and open a file/program in about 1:40 now, and still have all the same functions as before. The trick is that some of the apps just load after a 1-2 min. delay, instead of right at startup.

First, I really want to get the word out about this program.

AutoRuns for Windows

It is from Microsoft's Sysinternals, who also make the program we have talked about and love called ProcessExplorer (Process Explorer v11.21). If you remember, ProcessExplorer is like a supercharged version of your normal task manager (what you get from hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Well, just think of AutoRuns like a supercharged version of MSConfig. It lets you look at EVERYTHING windows starts up when you hit the power button, with tons more details than MSConfig offers. Plus, you don't even have to install it. It just runs. Another great trick is that you can right click on an entry and quickly google it to see if it is either important or worse, could be something bad like a virus/spyware.

One of the 1st things you are probably going to want to do is to click options at the top of the screen and check Hide Microsoft Entries. That gets rid of a ton of the entries and lets you view all the extra crap. It also mean you probably won't mess up your computer and not be able to start back up.

Chances are, you are probably still going to left with a long list of startup items, even with the MS ones hidden. I am pretty good about checking MSConfig often to make sure their isn't any stuff I don't need, but I was still very surprised at how many extra things Autoruns shows. I had like 6 items just from NERO for instance. I only use NERO like 1-2 times a year, so I don't want that program starting up and taking resources from my computer every time I start up.

Itunes is another program that puts a ton of entries in, including ones for Ipods, even though I don't even have one. MSConfig shows like 2-3, while Autoruns shows a lot more.

So I unchecked all that I didn't want starting up, and used the google search to check on any I was unsure of. Then restarted the system. That shaved a few sec. off my startup time. Just to make sure I hadn't messed up my Itunes, I opened it and it ran fine. Now it will just start up it's services when you want to use it, instead of when i start the computer and don't need them.

The program does have some other tricks you can play with later.

So next up I spent some time looking at the different programs that let you actually delay starting up programs, such as x-fire and the Vista Sidebar. Here are some of the programs I found in case you want to check them out yourself for a particular feature. Be sure to read any comments at the end of the articles for helpful info/ideas.

Startup Delayer

Windows System Teardown: Part 2 - Absolute Startup Manager

CyberNotes: Delay Startup Programs

Jackass JoeJoe's StartRight

In the end, I went with the program Startup Delayer due to the fact that it is free, and Vista ready (using it on 64 even). While looking up stuff for this post I actually just found the Cybernotes link above, and turns out they did a really great tutorial, so be sure to read that. But it does look like it is from an older version of the program.

If you do go with Startup Delayer, make sure you go to the link through the Download Squad article as it links to a newer version on the dev's website, while the other articles send you to a different site with an older version.
    Link you should use:
    http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?pa...how=startdelay

Here is the program as I set it up:

First thing I did was add some extra columns so I could see more info about the entries (just right click on the window to see more options) . I wanted to see stuff like where the program was, time of delay, etc. I think you also actually have to click "Activate Startup Delayer" in the Actions menu (makes it easy to turn off or on). The program does also start off in Safe mode so you are much less likly to kill you OS, but you can go more advanced if you like.

So you can see what 3rd party stuff I have running, like X-fire, Vista Sidebar, Creative Sound stuff, my motherboards built in Wi-FI AP, Spybot Search and Destory monitor, Lotgitech Setpoint, and my Objectdock.

I decided which ones I really wanted available right when the computer starts, and which ones I didn't. Then just left click on the program and choose edit, or hit the big blue pencil icon at the top.

Since I don't need X-fire at startup, and it is known to slow windows boot down, I decided to set the timer on it to 3 mins., and left everything else the default. Did the same with the other ones I wanted to delay. Super easy.

And that is it. Will only take you a few mins. to do all this (depending on how much crazy stuff Autoruns shows up with), and when you finish your rig will have a quicker and cleaner boot. The older your windows install and the more extras you have on there, the more this will help.

And besides, who wants all that extra stuff like from NERO running when you would rather have those resources come game time.

If you have any other tips or tricks of your own, please share them with the class :row__577:

Enjoy.....................................

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Speeding up Window's Startup

Step Twp: two hard drives, RAID-0 :)
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Re: Speeding up Window's Startup

the first part of the article is reffering to me, because i have a problem with xfire loading weird at startup ( try 50+ xfire64.exe processes and 97% cpu resources and 7gb ram used for those 50 processes) but if i start it manually once system is up and running, it works fine.. i have 2 320gb in raid 0, and my computer (with xfire not on startup) boots up in about 50 seconds, from off, to opening firefox and surfing the web