riggin a laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riggin a laptop?

is it possible to rig a laptop? if so, could a laptop be rigged from a regular pentium 4 with a mobile intel pentium 4 HT tech?

Re: riggin a laptop?

Originally posted by Nightfire
    is it possible to rig a laptop? if so, could a laptop be rigged from a regular pentium 4 with a mobile intel pentium 4 HT tech?
    Huh? Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

If you're talking about building some weird hybrid laptop, you might want to ask it in the Hardware forum...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

my mistake...may i have a web admin transfer this topic to the hardware forums please?

i have a "hp pavalon zv5000" and i'm just wondering if it's possible to remove like the pentium 4 i have right now and change it to a mobile intel pentium 4 with HT technology (so that i can play HL2 with you guys and MOHPA)...also, i'll need to know if it's possible to upgrade your graphic card in a laptop.

Comment

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs
        Those are the specs I googled for any that want to take a closer look.

It seems you could replace the processor with another one but be sure you pick the right type. It won't be an easy task to open up your laptop and remove several components to get to the cpu socket.

For the video card, it really isn't a video card. It's integrated tightly with the chipset so you most likely won't be able to replace it. Laptops just aren't built to be upgradeable as much as desktops.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
          http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs
          Those are the specs I googled for any that want to take a closer look.

It seems you could replace the processor with another one but be sure you pick the right type. It won't be an easy task to open up your laptop and remove several components to get to the cpu socket.

For the video card, it really isn't a video card. It's integrated tightly with the chipset so you most likely won't be able to replace it. Laptops just aren't built to be upgradeable as much as desktops.
          can't i remove the laptop's motherboard and then replace the one i want WITH an integrated graphics card?

Comment

laptop cases are built around the motherboard layout. there is no way to swap out with a different one. (unless the laptop has the same chassis as another (compaq presario 1500 - a p4 1600 and a presario 900 - an XP 1500+.) the video card is USUALLY part of the mother board, but even if it isn't, it is proprietary and not upgradeable. the alienware and maybe dell xps are the two exceptions. when shooping for laptops, video card and lcd are the most important decisions. these two are the ones most difficult or impossible to upgrade. mem, hdd, cpu, cdrom, mode/lan/wireless, can all be modified or added.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

The easiest is probably memory. I saw a bunch of links for your model that sells memory you could use. The next most popular hits were hdd. I didn't find anything on cpu but I bet it's possible to upgrade, just difficult. I've seen some pics of people taking apart their laptops and it could take 45 minutes to take things apart. You have to remember exactly how the parts are put together. For memory and hdd, you usually don't have to take apart anything.

Comment

I do it for a living, and if done correctly, you can have a laptop in pieces in 15 minutes.

I plan on upgrading my emachine m6805 from 512 ram to 2 gig, A64 3000+ socket 754 to a 3700+, 60 gig HDD to a 100, and a DCRW/DVD drive to a 8x DL DVD+-RW.

after all that, there isnt much more that can be done.

total cost today of all upgrades plus cost of computer

1100 laptop
                400 memory
                450 processor
                200 hdd
                150 DVD drive

total 2300

better laptop than most ppl's desktop. (the 9600pro bites a little, but not much.)

the best thing I can tell you is research. I upgraded a presario 900 from an XP 1500+ to a 2600+ 256 ram to 1 gig. I spent WEEKS researching as to the highest I could go on the proc. then 10 minutes upgrading it.... BTW, anyone needing a 1500+ mobile XP, I'm selling one for 25.00.... used less than 9 months.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

You do it for a living though and the M6805 has been taken apart before and the process was documented online. That cuts down a lot of the time.

Comment

the video will be the worst bottleneck for you, but you can get a 3.4 ht p4 in there..... I would assume 2 gig of ram would be a nice upgrade as well.

hl2... with a 3.4 and a r9000....... 8x6 @ low w/ 30 fps maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                      the video will be the worst bottleneck for you, but you can get a 3.4 ht p4 in there..... I would assume 2 gig of ram would be a nice upgrade as well.

hl2... with a 3.4 and a r9000....... 8x6 @ low w/ 30 fps maybe.
                      Hmmm, I was running CS:S on my Athlon 1800 with a GF3 Ti500 and 512 DDR and getting 40fps at 8x6 with everything on low... Unless laptops have other bottlenecks, he should be able to crank the settings up a bit.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

a GF3 TI 500 will spank a MOBILE radeon 9000 integrated IGP. the shared mem and bus bandwidth will choke the life out of the 9000, and the mobile version is a lower clock. the ti500 is about 30% faster I'd say.

my 9600 with 64 megs performs ~ 4fps slower than its 128 meg standalone desktop counterpart, and mine is NOt shared mem, NOT integrated IGP, and NOT lower clock speed.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                          a GF3 TI 500 will spank a MOBILE radeon 9000 integrated IGP. the shared mem and bus bandwidth will choke the life out of the 9000, and the mobile version is a lower clock. the ti500 is about 30% faster I'd say.
                          Ewwww, yucky... I figured since it was a 9000 series that it would be faster. I didn't take into account that it's sharing so much with the system...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

that's the danger of not researching the vid card on your laptop. Dell likes to show off its GF fx 5200 and 5700 go! cards. integrated and worthless. main reason I didn't get a dell for me..... they do have great lcd's though(1440x.....1152 I think) but when searching for a laptop, research is your best friend. know what it will be used for, then go after those needs.

my laptop does everything. media editing (needs firewire, huge HDD, lots of mem, fast proc, big screen) virtual computers (needs lots of mem and proc) gaming (good video card) mobile live broadcast/ record studio. (long battery, wireless g, usb 2.0 - for sound, external drives...etc. DVD burner) Network administration station, DVD player, MediaShout! station. So when I was looking, I had to have something with a lot of headroom for the future, while giving me the power I needed right now.

I need a few upgrades (an internal dvd-dl burner would be awesome, the one I use is HUGE, more mem, bigger hdd) but for now it is adequet.

Comment

I don't really know any thing about it but you may look into external grafix cards I recall hearing something about alien ware developing one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X