Installing Vista 64 bit any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Vista 64 bit any tips?

I am currently installing Vista Ultimate 64 bits on my gaming rig. As it is totally new to me coming from XP, i was wondering if anyone has any tips i should know off so i can get quickly back into gaming.

The rig will almost excusively be used for gaming. Nothing else really matters. :row__523:

I'm currently installing drivers etc and i seem to have drivers for everything once i'm finished.

The rig:

Processor: AMD AM2 X2 6000+ 3.0ghz
    Motherboard: Asus m2npv-vm m-atx
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 Dual Channel
    Video: NVidia 8800GTS 320mb factory OC'ed
    Monitor: Viewsonic 19" LCD 4ms at 1280x1024
    Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
    Mouse: Razer Deathadder
    Gaming Pad: Nostromo n52

Will be installing and running BF2, BF2142, TF2, CSS, COD4 and ARMA on it to start with. :)

I'm thankfull for any optimization or game run/install tips, however basic you may consider them! Links too is great!

Thanks!

Re: Installing Vista 64 bit any tips?

Games that you had headaches with on XP will likely give you headaches on Vista. The source games are still a bit on the crazy side for me.

To save a lot of headaches, turn off User Account Control in the Control Panel under security center. I will stop the system from you having to constantly verify everything you do.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

What Sir-Nerd said is about it. UAC was the only thing that bothered me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask once you get it all started.

EDIT:

Forgot to say go to Control Panel, then Hardware and Sound, then Power Options, and click on High Performance.

Also, if you click somewhere on your desktop (empty space), and then hold down CTRL key, when you roll your mouse wheel, it will change the size of your Icons. Some people like big and some like small. :D
      Last edited by Bamboo; 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

You can do a flat install where you copy the contents of the cd to your hd and run the install of off that, it can make things go smoothly if you're having install issues. You can't simply copy it over and run it though, as it requires more than a dos environment to run.

Directions from miscrosoft are here:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928902
        But these directions assume that you will not be formatting your hd as it requires you first go into windows to copy files over and then run the install from there -- or they expect you to have 2 hd's and one with a functional os to do the copy. In either case, you can't just boot to dos and run the install files.

I was unable to install vista 64 until i spent 5 straight hours on the phone with microsoft and was forced into a flat install on a formatted HD with no access to an OS to copy files over or run the setup exe. Afterwards the system was still unstable and I gave up on the OS. I'm returning my mobo incase that was the problem and am trying to get a copy of a vista64 that has SP1 on it before I waste any more time (i spent about 20 hours last weekend working on it).

Anyway, for the flat install boot off of the Vista CD.

Proceed to the install portion where you format the HD. I suggest you delete the partions and get a nice clean format. After successfully creating a partition and formatting the HD do not proceed further in the install. Click the red X in the top right corner and you will be back at the initial install screen.

Click Repair.

At the repair screen it will search for any previous install attempts (and it should find none as you just formatted). Click next.

After clicking next you will be at the utility console.

Click the command prompt option.

From this point you need to copy the contents of the DVD to your C: drive. I can't remember the exact procedure, it was more than just copy -- i think there was a /p and one other /? thrown in there.... but once you copy it over you can run it in the repair consol command prompt.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

It looks like they've covered most of it.

Just remember to activate Windows.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

OK, I know I had seen it somewhere on these forums but for the life of me I can not get the search to find it. It was link I believe Bamboo gave to download a Vista tweak guide. Not much is really useful in it except for it does show what services you may be able to stop without any problems on your system.
            As with XP, Vista has some services running automatically that just really aren't needed, turning them off or maybe even setting them to be manual instead of automatic may improve the performance of your computer.

Of course, UAC definitely needs turned off to keep you from going insane from answering all the questions that will pop up over everything you want to do. In certain games or applications you may need to adjust the properties so the game/application can be run as administrator and also compatibility mode is set to run as Windows XP/SP2. Sometimes to make the setting change permanently for the administrator you may have to turn on the UAC temporarily.

EDIT:
            Found the link for the post Bamboo gave for the tweak gude. http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ion-vista.html

Comment

Thanks for all the tips!

I've managed to install all hardware. I started installing software and games when i came onto a bizzare problem.

The cd's and dvd's are sometimes not recognised by the drive and it sees them as empty discs and wants to format them! However if i eject and insert a couple of times they eventually get recognised.

It's a SATA drive, but it's recognised as SCSI in "device manager" and so is the harddrive but no problems with it. I've googled up and down but haven't come up with a sure fix yet.

Comment

Hmm, could be a firmware issue with the drive itself. I've had that problem once a few years back with a Sony drive.

Which drive (brand and model) are you using?

Have you tried the manufacturer's website?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've had issues with a SATA Optiarc drive. I couldn't install Vista x64 mostly because of that problem. Updated firmware and everything. When I did manage to make it work, the install got stuck on boot due to the drivers being unsigned. Which they are signed, but I couldn't disable the driver signing permanently [enough?] and at that point gave up and just installed x86. I only wanted x64 so I could run a virtual machine or two, anyhow...

What I had to do to make it finally recognize the drive properly (with either x86 or x64), is make sure that in the BIOS, the SATA port that it's plugged in to is not set as part of the hardware RAID or set to AHCI. Be sure it's set to IDE. In the case of my board, there's 6 SATA ports; two of which can be set as separate from the "RAID" SATA ports and are colored differently (black, vs. red for the "RAID" ports). So I set those ports as being in "IDE Combination Mode" and that disabled AHCI and made them IDE.

When I was finished installing, though, I set it back to AHCI and it works fine (the DVD drive and my external hard drive sit on those black SATA ports).
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Hmm... interesting, maybe thats why I had so many problems on install.. what board do you have, could you elaborate?
                    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                    That noob who crashed the chopper.
                    That noob who ran over the mine.
                    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

The drive is a Samsung SH-163 SATA and worked fine under XP. Samsung doesn't say anything specific about a must have firmware on Vista.

But once i eject a couple of times media is recognised and i can install without faults or anything so the drive itself works. I'll look into Spulat's suggestion once i get home, but i think that only works if you can see the drive at all. I can.

But this problem isn't a big deal for, since i use mounted images with daemon tools for everything, so the drive is seldom used.

Comment

I'm not sure if switch was asking about my board, or yours Superfast, but allow me to elaborate anyhow. Maybe it'll be useful?

ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI

You can see the board information, and pictures of it here: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...49&l3=639&l4=0
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Not so much tips as features of vista you may find usefull (I do).

-Integrated Search - allow you to quickly find any kind of information you have stored on your computer. Also in Start Menu (useful for starting programs).
                          -Windows Key + spacebar - brings sidebar to the foreground
                          -Windows Key + Tab - graphical tabbing between programs
                          -Windows Key + T - Cycles through programs using the Live Taskbar feature
                          -By holding shift down while right clicking on a file you can get extra menus (such as "copy as path" which copies a files path that includes teh filename.
                          -Running Quick Launch Items. Put shortcut in quicklaunch, Then to run them click the Windows key + the number it is on quick launch.
                          -Snipping Tool, tool for taking screenshots of area of your desktop (Start Menu in the Accessories, or type snipping in search)

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Holy crap Polska, that snipping tip is awesome. I had never seen it before. Right now I am using a 3rd party program to do screenshots, and that snipping one is super quick. I am going to set one of my G15 keys to start it. Thanks man!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Wow, great tip and tool Polska! SaWeet!

And when installing Vista64 Ultimate I had to change AHCI to IDE to install or it would hang up. But all is installed now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X