Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Keep My Network Connection Active While in Sleep Mode?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Keep My Network Connection Active While in Sleep Mode?

Okay, I've noticed that in Vista, the minute I come out of Sleep mode, I find my network connection has been lost (as in my NIC probably shut down as well during sleep).

Is there a setting or a way to keep power flowing to my NIC and thus keeping my network connection active while my computer is in Sleep mode?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: How Do I Keep My Network Connection Active While in Sleep Mode?

Actually I have the same problem. I just turn the computer off to save power instead of putting it to sleep, but would still like to know if there is an solution.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hmm, well when my computer comes out of sleep mode, the NIC still reconnects, but only offers me LAN and no Internet.

I have to disable and re-enable the device in Device Manager to get my "internet" back. It's just really annoying that my network connection doesn't stay alive when my PC is in Sleep.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Right click the network device in Device Manager and go up to the top and hit Power Management. Then uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". That may fix, let me know if it works.

Comment

I'm not sure what you want it to do. It sucks that the network connection doesn't reconnect to the Internet after resuming and you do have a problem with that. However, the network connection cannot stay alive during sleep mode (you can't download anything while sleeping).

Which one is the problem?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The first one. The network connection not reconnecting to the Internet after resuming.

Originally posted by Fighter
            Right click the network device in Device Manager and go up to the top and hit Power Management. Then uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". That may fix, let me know if it works.
            That does not help. I've already tried this before posting.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a p5q and mine doesn't do that. I run windows XP 32 though. Gotta be a vista thing or possibly the bios? I did update my bios to the newest version.

- -

Comment

Assuming this is a wireless thing, did you try to "reserve IP address" for that computer on your router? Not sure if the sleep mode lets the DCHP assignment expire. My main computer is Vista and is hardwired to the router and never loses the connection even in sleep. I have 3 other CPUs in the house running wireless on XP with reserved IPs and they never lose a connection out of sleep. Just taking a stab at it.

Comment

Be sure that the NIC is set to "Wake on LAN". That keeps the card active in sleep mode.

Additionally, I always hard-code IPs to my desktops, out of the DHCP range. The only thing(s) that need DHCP, are my work laptop or any other device that potentially leaves my home. It also helps with connectivity, especially if one machine (ie: the DVR) is a file host. Then it's not querying the DNS record on the routerand/or local host file and then trying to find where the stupid thing is on the network. That saves the computer from having to query DHCP and whatnot, and eliminates a lot of the delay of picking up an address

Example of my network setup:

Scheme: 10.10.100.x
                  DHCP: 10.10.100.100-199
                  DVR: 10.10.100.5
                  My desktop: 10.10.100.50
                  Work laptop: DHCP

I had a problem for some time where I would put my laptop to sleep when leaving work, to open it back up at home and it would catch an IP but wouldn't refresh the DNS.. So every time I opened it I had to do a Repair on the connection. As it turned out, it was just due to the D-Link router... when I would start up 2142 it would kick my ex-partner's laptop off the network momentarily, and the wireless would get flaky anyhow. I bought a new Linksys, and I haven't had trouble since.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I'm on my onboard NIC (wired).

I don't do wireless anymore because of Vista searching for a new network every 15-30 seconds. But on my wireless, resuming it reconnects to LAN and Internet.

I'll set the Wake on LAN, Spulat to see if it helps.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

my vista x64 doesnt do it, i have it set to s3 in bios (the sleep mode)