Dell Latitude D531 A07 Bios Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Latitude D531 A07 Bios Update

Hey just wanted to give you all a quick heads up. I have a Dell Latitude D531 laptop and I put some OCZ DDR2-800 and it runs GREAT. Now heres the heads up, if you do this your good up to Bios revision A05. A07 will limit RAM support to 667 :( I found this out after I updated today. And there are no noticeable improvements or anything like that. SO if you have that laptop or are planning on getting one and upgrading to 800MHz ram, dont bother updating to A07. No matter what I do I cant get it to see it as 800MHz anymore but ill let you all know if I find anything out. Im gonna try my luck reverting back to A05 and ill let you know how that goes.

Re: Dell Latitude D531 A07 Bios Update

I looked up that BIOS revision, and according to the release notes, "Updated AMD Processor Logo" is the only thing that Rev does; it's listed as Optional.

It may identify it as DDR2-800, but does it actually *run* at that speed? According the specifications I looked up on the Dell site, it's advertised as supporting up to 667. For comparison, my D630 only supports 667 itself. I haven't seen any Latitude machines come through our shop that support 800. Not even the 830 series.

Where, exactly, do you see this change? System properties? in the BIOS?
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I see it in the BIOS. When I installed the RAM I checked the BIOS and it sees it as 800. After the update it sees it as 667. we have other machines here at the office so just to make sure I put the ram in a machine with A05 revision and sure enough BIOS sees it as DDR2-800.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
        I see it in the BIOS. When I installed the RAM I checked the BIOS and it sees it as 800. After the update it sees it as 667. we have other machines here at the office so just to make sure I put the ram in a machine with A05 revision and sure enough BIOS sees it as DDR2-800.
        I'm wondering then if they've simply decided to change it to where the BIOS reports the maximum SUPPORTED speed of the RAM you've installed, instead of the module's RATED speed. The change you're seeing may have been part of the A06 update, which would be included in A07.

Either way, if it says 800, it still only runs 667. There's no way Dell would actually release a BIOS update that gimps a system like that, without some major hubbub.

So I doubt you need to worry :)
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Thats very possible, although I dont see any evidence of a revision A06, just A05 and below. Your probably right though, I just dont see why they would not include that in the description along with the AMD logo change. Im not really gonna worry about it, I just thought I would give everyone a heads up who has that machine.

Comment

As a side note I just found that there are previous versions all the way back to A00 on dell's website if anyone needs to revert. I already tested it by reverting and can say that it works fine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X