No announcement yet.

USB 3.0 and SATA 3 news

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.0 and SATA 3 news

Just about every site has news this week about the future of 2 connections, Sata 3 and USB 3.0, so I thought I would spread the word.

As many sites have pointed out though, USB 3 is the bigger deal here, as it has a lot to add and it a big step over 2.0.

Sata 3 is interesting, but it isn't that big of a step, and considering right now our hd's don't come close to maxing out Sata 2. But at least it will be backwards compatible.

Check out some of the details on USB 3:

* Faster transfers, duh. USB 3.0 will be able to move data at a mouth-watering 4.8Gbit/s (614MByte/s). That’s 10 times faster than USB 2.0, and the speed difference will definitely be noticeable with larger files. For example, a 27GB movie will take 70-seconds to transfer as opposed to 15-minutes with USB 2.0.

* Read and write simultaneously. With the current USB technologies devices can’t read and write at the same time, but that’s a thing of the past with USB 3.0.

* More power output. The power output will be bumped up from 100 milliamps to 900 milliamps. You’ll therefore be able to charge more power-hungry devices at a single time.

* Power friendly. USB 3.0 will use an interrupt-driven protocol instead of a polling system when the host is looking for traffic. That means your laptop won’t have to waste precious resources trying to see if a connected camera is trying to send data.

* Backwards compatible. You’ll be able to plug-in a USB 3.0 cable into a USB 2.0 device, and still reap some of the benefits like the new interrupt-driven protocol for conserving power.
    More at the links. And if you are really into it, look around because there are tons more articles out there.

USB 3.0 Transfer Speeds are Blazing Fast

A First Look at USB 3.0

SATA Rev 3 Specs Will Be Faster Than SATA 1 and 2 Combined

SATA to bump up the speed to 6GB/s

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: USB 3.0 and SATA 3 news

That is amazing if USB 3 really can deliver those transfer rates. Nice find :)

Glad to see an update on these.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Hmm, I have concerns about bumping that power output to 900 mAh.

Would that mean that motherboard manufacturers would have to draw power from the +12V main rails instead of the +5V line?

Otherwise, it's fantastic. Okay, maybe not so much since people buying USB flash drives would expect an enormous boost in transfer speeds on those devices.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

I like the USB 3.0. I use an External HDD 2.0 for a ton of my stuff, and this would definitely help in copy times...

Yeah, the new USB is certainly looking good!

The big value to me in an industrial environment is the optical connection, as it protects one's computer from the flakey and mis-wired hardware customers tend to use.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed