Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista software, utilities, gaming advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista software, utilities, gaming advice?

Having after 3 hours on the phone convinced hp to replace my laptop (and upgrade something here and there), I've learned that it is going to come installed with vista (they apparently don't do xp any more). I don't have any specific problems with the OS, but I do lack experience to know what to change, what to use, and how to solve any common problems. I have used Vista before (Enterprise edition from my school), but that was when no one knew what to do ;), so I am looking for help from all you people more savvy than I.

I know that I am likely to encounter space issues (200g-OS never seems enough for games and media), so any advice I could get in trimming back the fat (both on the OS, and my software) would be particularly helpful. While using xp I was going a bit over the top security wise, with Virus keeper 08 professional, Zone Alarm free firewall, Scotty the windows watchdog, free AVG, Spyware blaster, and maybe Bit defender or something, I assume some of these will outright not work with vista, and I imagine there are better options security, and memory wise. Any utilities you find helpful, or just software that makes the day go easier would be great to hear about too.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I will try to respond asap, but with my current laptop out of commission I am relying on access to other computers that will not be universal.

Re: Vista software, utilities, gaming advice?

Just look over this forum section for recent threads about Vista. Lots already said.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

As scratchmonkey said, here is a recent thread from last week:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...-any-tips.html

lots of good info.

Also, just relax and give it a chance. It may actually run slower than usual for the first few days as it learns your habits and what programs you use the most and gets them all into prefetch. After that you should be good to go. How much memory does the laptop have?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah, I did a search beforehand, and have both previously, and currently read the tweak guid, I was simply wondering if you guys had any specific advice for me. The security part of the question is really the most important bit, as I want to be sure my computer is thuroughly protected from day 1, without using an excess of software. My guess is that Zone Alarm (if it works on vista yet, if not maybe Comodo?), VirusKeeper 08 Pro, and Scotty would be enough for my security needs, but I am quite out of date on the subject.

Comment

Vista is a good deal more secure than XP out of the box but some added security is definitely a plus. If I were you, I'd think about running Comodo for the firewall (although the included firewall is definitely adequate), AGV free edition for the antivirus (relatively lightweight and outperforms a lot of AV programs that you pay for) and maybe running Spybot's active protection To be perfectly honest, I don't run any any anti-spyware software and I've never had a single issue in the year or so since I switched to Vista. Firefox with Adblock Plus and my strictly legal downloading habits probably have a good deal to do with that.

Anyhow, I hope you come to like Vista as much as I do. The first week or so is a pain while it learns which software you use and caches it but after that, it works like a dream.
          sigpic

Comment

The built-in firewall does a fine job of protecting you from inbound attacks, just as the one in XP does. The big value of a 3rd party firewall is that it also blocks outbound connections. So if you do get infected, it can alert you that your system is dialing out unexpectedly to the malware's controlling website or IRC channel. But this is only effective if you don't run as Administrator. Otherwise the malware will just disable or silence the firewall before it makes the connection.

I deploy AVG at the office to about a dozen machines on my domain, and use its firewall on my own development system to alert me to any surprise outbound connections. (Usually it's a legitimate connection to check for a new version of some package.) AVG is pretty good at not being intrusive.

For my Firefox 3 installation, I have NoScript installed to make sure I only run JavaScript on sites I trust. Even right now, reading TG, it's telling me it's blocking some script from "mediaplex.com", and I don't feel any need to allow it.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Buckets is right. I have been running the built in Vista Defender and Spybots active protection and haven't had any malware, and I do tend to look all over the web, even the dark scary spots. I used to get all kinds of stuff my Ad-aware and Spybot had to clean up. But since vista, I haven't had any.

I have avast antivirus running on the wife's laptop, as I have seen some tests where it did better than AVG and it is also free. It updates constantly, like at least once a day.

And ScratchMonkey is right about an extra firewall being good to let you know what is trying to call home. A lot of programs you wouldn't even think will try and do it. Not that they might be sending bad stuff back, but you might not want them sending at all. I think Zonealarm is Vista ready, just not Vista64 ready. Still can't believe that.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well I now have my new laptop, and it is suprising to say the least:

3 gigs of ram
                vista home premium 64
                Intel Core 2 DUO p8600 @2.40GHz
                NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
                and 260GB FUJITSU HD

The vista64 really threw me for a loop since I expected the most basic thing they could install.

Comment

So wait? Are you happy?

I would think that laptop would run Vista really well.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    So wait? Are you happy?

I would think that laptop would run Vista really well.
                    Certainly, I just need to figure why I have a single program that refuses to run consistently >.> Thought I'd just update the thread.

Comment

The only advice I can offer as far as vista goes is not to use it.

Comment

mentholated, are you serious man
                        have you not read all our other threads about vista?
                        almost all of us that are using vista are happy with it. stop the bashing.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

So why would you advise people not to use Vista, mentholated? Way to back up your argument there.

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
                            Having after 3 hours on the phone convinced hp to replace my laptop (and upgrade something here and there), I've learned that it is going to come installed with vista (they apparently don't do xp any more). I don't have any specific problems with the OS, but I do lack experience to know what to change, what to use, and how to solve any common problems. I have used Vista before (Enterprise edition from my school), but that was when no one knew what to do ;), so I am looking for help from all you people more savvy than I.

I know that I am likely to encounter space issues (200g-OS never seems enough for games and media), so any advice I could get in trimming back the fat (both on the OS, and my software) would be particularly helpful. While using xp I was going a bit over the top security wise, with Virus keeper 08 professional, Zone Alarm free firewall, Scotty the windows watchdog, free AVG, Spyware blaster, and maybe Bit defender or something, I assume some of these will outright not work with vista, and I imagine there are better options security, and memory wise. Any utilities you find helpful, or just software that makes the day go easier would be great to hear about too.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I will try to respond asap, but with my current laptop out of commission I am relying on access to other computers that will not be universal.
                            As far as the anti virus and spyware softwares you have listed a lot of them I have found to be insufficient other than AVG. I myself use avast anti virus(free) and spybot search and destroy(free). I have had two viruses in all since I have had this machine and it never affected anything they were gone as fast as they appeared. Windows defender helps a lot too. Im not sure if XP has it but its really fine tuned and is updated every week it seems.

Now for the XP part, microsoft no longer sells XP(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx).

Now moving on I am assuming the 200g is your hard drive and thats you mean 200GB. Tell ya right now you shouldn't need anymore than that or you can always buy an external hard drive. For example I have a 120GB hard drive installed on it I have 10GB of music, Call of Duty 4(6.98GB), World of Warcraft(8.7GB), Battlefield 2 with mods(5.37GB), Steam with Counter Strike Source and Sam & Max SE1-EP4(8.19GB), SWAT 4(2.49GB), as well as other games and movies which leaves me about 7GB of memory left. So unless you have every game thats come out in the last year you shouldn't have a problem.

Heads up a lot of older games need to be run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. If you need to know how to do this you can A.) Google it or B.) PM and I can send you a guide I made myself using pain[lol] or walk you through it on TS. Make sure everything is run as an administrator or nothing will work properly unless you turn that option off in control panel. I suggest keeping it on for security reasons. Anything else? Feel free to ask.

After posting I realized you finally got it. DOH 64OS I know nothing. Sorry not sure if any of this will help.
                            Sorry I only play Hardcore!

Pain and suffering are inevitable, misery is not!

Comment

Not to Hijack..but I am doing a New VISTA install today.. Should I install 64 or 32 bit on a New PC?? My issue is GAME SUPPORT... meaning will BF2 still work on a 64 Bit Box?? Etc..

Thanks
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse