Need reccomendation: Sound card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need reccomendation: Sound card.

I know the obvious answer is to get a X-FI sound card, but I am beginning to see tons of posts over Creatives obvious lack of support and recent drivers breaking the games I play. So I ask my TG brethren for their input.

I play BF2/POE,BF2142,CSS on a regular basis. I am currently running Windows XP x64 edition and toying with Vista Ultimate x64 on a second drive. I have both PCI and PCI-E slots available for a card. I currently use the on board Realtek HD audio, but it keeps crapping out and requires frequent reboots of my machine to get it working again (keeps screwing with the mic input). I like to record games via FRAPS. So the card I use will need to support "What U Hear"/"Stero Mix".

What is your recommendation?

Re: Need reccomendation: Sound card.

I play pretty much all those games, and have an X-Fi, and suffer no problems. Granted, I use older drivers, possibly from fall 2006, but have had no issues in the last year and a half since I started using them.

There are other manufacturers that are producing cards with the X-Fi chip if you want to still get some of the benefits in games that will use it, not sure how they'd work together seeing as it wouldn't be a creative card.

Comment

I got an X-Fi platinum with Vista x64, and it makes me cry sometimes.

The two big problems I've had with the card is that after about an hour of playing my ventrilo and teamspeak transmissions turn to mush (I either sound like I'm a machine gun or talking underwater). I also have major problems running any Battlefield game because whenever I click on the audio menu or load a map, the game crashes.

Well I found a driver out there that fixed the BF2142 problem and I could now play the game. Then Vista SP2 came around, broke my driver support and I had to download the new drivers. It fixed the TS/Vent issue (I think), but now it broke BF2142 again...
      I cannot play any battlefield game anymore, and I don't see a fix in sight anytime soon.

Creative has neither the desire nor inclination to work with Microsoft on Vista.

Comment

HT Omega's Claro is what I use.

For those who were paying attention, I went back to SoundBlaster for MIDI soundfont support and marginally better positional-audio (later EAX effects) but after a few weeks I dumped it again and went back to Claro. Someday I'll just break down and set up a dedicated machine for my keyboard.

ASUS has released a "Xonar" series, which is worth looking at. In particular, they offer PCIe, which may be important on new systems where all two of your PCI slots may be consumed with your older cards.

Comment

I'd recommend looking into ASUS Xonar like Magna mentioned.

Also, there's a number of us (including myself) who use the RaZeR Barracuda AC-1 card and really like them. I love mine, and I have run it under Vista 32 and 64 without a problem.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

If you can find an audigy 4, it runs like a charm with everything. Great drivers and no problems with the tons of games i run.

- -

Comment

i use an audigy SE its prety great and it was darn cheap $29.99...

Comment

I second the razer barracuda AC-1 card, I had a x-fi extreme gamer and had nothing but problems for a year until I finally gave up and got the razer, and its amazing, I got the razer barracuda headset too, you don't need it but its recommended, and it is awesome! When you tweak the settings, the bass is amazing, clarity of mic great, just a far superior card to the x-fi! The 5.1 surround is by far the best I have heard! Only problem is it is a little expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                  I second the razer barracuda AC-1 card, I had a x-fi extreme gamer and had nothing but problems for a year until I finally gave up and got the razer, and its amazing, I got the razer barracuda headset too, you don't need it but its recommended, and it is awesome! When you tweak the settings, the bass is amazing, clarity of mic great, just a far superior card to the x-fi! The 5.1 surround is by far the best I have heard! Only problem is it is a little expensive!
                  I didn't acquire the RaZeR headphones, but I picked these up at Fry's yesterday and they are AMAZING.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx52/home.aspx

70 bucks.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

I have a simular setup and no issues with anything including the mentioned games. It took creative a while to get proper working drivers for vista to my recollection. The drivers are well supported now. The last release canidate beta (and current RC) fixed a few things including the BSOD for users who had a box tricked out with 4+gb of ram.

Comment

ASUS Xonar. Without a doubt, better than the Audigy 2 card I was running. The card sounds amazing on my Sennheiser 595's, and it works very well when piping it to a receiver.

100% recommended.
                      sigpic
                      Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

i play on 2 astec lansing speakers with a subwoofer do you think headphones are the way to go because most audio related post ive read have people saying that they use headphones?

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
                          i play on 2 astec lansing speakers with a subwoofer do you think headphones are the way to go because most audio related post ive read have people saying that they use headphones?
                          If you play games where directional sound is important, multi-channel headphones with a good card are hard to beat.

Draeh, I have a xfi fatality pro gamer card and on games like COD4 and Frontlines it provides outstanding sound, however, it still has the xfi bugaboo with all my BFx games. I have tried numerous approaches and fixes to get it running properly and can't. The only way for me to run it on BFx games is to use the "software" audio option in the BFx settings. If I choose the actual card as the option the game will get crashes related to xfi and Rendx.dll. Sad but true. I still get decent directional sound with my headphones but I am not getting any real performance out of the card for BFx. If you play mostly BFx games you may want to look at some of the other options these guys have posted or be very hopeful that you are one of the few that do not have issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                            If you play games where directional sound is important, multi-channel headphones with a good card are hard to beat.

Draeh, I have a xfi fatality pro gamer card and on games like COD4 and Frontlines it provides outstanding sound, however, it still has the xfi bugaboo with all my BFx games. I have tried numerous approaches and fixes to get it running properly and can't. The only way for me to run it on BFx games is to use the "software" audio option in the BFx settings. If I choose the actual card as the option the game will get crashes related to xfi and Rendx.dll. Sad but true. I still get decent directional sound with my headphones but I am not getting any real performance out of the card for BFx. If you play mostly BFx games you may want to look at some of the other options these guys have posted or be very hopeful that you are one of the few that do not have issues with it.
                            Unfortunately, I have that issue as well with my RaZer card.... the Hardware option actually causes the sound quality to be LESS.

But with software, it works fine, and it works superb with hardware accel in CoD4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X