Smart Phones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Phones

Iím looking at smart phones and would like some users input. My wife just got a Motorola Q series and Iím not a big fan. I am not a world-traveler/business type so I think an entry level phone would do.

I use Verizon so no I phone for me.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Re: Smart Phones

I got the Voyager almost 2 months ago, and its pretty damn nice so far. Always thought having the internet wouldn't be that big of a deal, but its great for the train, read up on the news, or you can look something up that someone asks you.

The LG Dare is supposed to be pretty nice. But I don't really think you could consider either of these "smart phones."

Comment

from a Crackberry addict... I vouch for the BB.

One of my company's former clients selected the Q as their "standard" smartphone, and I was the primary supporter of the phone. They were not easy to work with, and I found the interface to be garish and user-unfriendly. Another client currently uses the Blackjack, and it's no better. Also, with heavy usage of all aspects (calendar, email, video, audio, on-demand, internet, instant messengers, 3rd party apps for PicasaWeb etc) my BB Pearl 8130 locks up on me an average of once every 3-4 weeks so far without any power-downs in the time inbetween. Plus the battery life is fantastic.

The Windows Mobile phones tend to lock-up a lot and the interface will get laggy. I've worked with some Mobile 6 phones, and I used to own a Mobile 5 phone. The Mobile 5 would lock up multiple times in ONE day...

It really depends on what you need to do with it, what you would like it to do, and what your primary scope of usage will be.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I thinking BB 8330-curve or Palm Centro. Entry level with a planer, contact list, email and navigator.

Sarcoma
        Sarcoma.

Comment

Make sure you try before you buy :)

The Curve has the new BB OS, different than the Pearl and the older ones, and from everything I have read it's received rave reviews.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

I have had TREO's and Windows Mobile phones and now a BB Curve. The Curve is rock solid, but a closed OS.. so don't expect to get alot of Freebies.. But I have to say..the APPS by Google are Top notch (and Free)..and I wouldn't be without the Google Calander App and My GMAIL...
            I Vote for the Blackberry service and the Curve..
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
              I have had TREO's and Windows Mobile phones and now a BB Curve. The Curve is rock solid, but a closed OS.. so don't expect to get alot of Freebies.. But I have to say..the APPS by Google are Top notch (and Free)..and I wouldn't be without the Google Calander App and My GMAIL...
              I Vote for the Blackberry service and the Curve..
              I have the whole Google app suite on the phone... very very pleased :) the Gmail app especially...

There's no free or native Remote Desktop app, but there IS one availble for the BB... so if I have to reboot a server on the fly, I can do it.

Also have ShoZu on it, but I haven't entirely configured it as it needs to be.

The only problem I really run into, is playing videos in even AVI format... but I imagine there's an app or a mod that addresses that. As it stands, you have to convert it with the application then put it on your phone, for it to play it.

Also, update your OS if it's available, but KEEP BB Desktop version 4.2 and don't go any higher. Versions above that, the Roxio Media Manager is broken... I have 4.5 and have been too busy to rip it out and put 4.2 back on.

Comment

I am new to the smart phone thing, but my recently arrived blackberry 8120 pearl has been amazing, better than anything I have had before! I realise I don't have anything to compare this to, not having had other smart phones, but its amazing. The email and internet are my main draws, for example, I'm writing this on my blackberry, after just finishing editing a wiki page, so very versatile. The iphones main attraction would probably be the free apps, but I have everything I need on my bb.

Comment

There are a number of things the iPhone can't do, too. There are also some paid apps out for the BB, yes, but there are still some free apps out there for the BB.

Which actually reminds me, the other thing the Blackberry can't (mysteriously) do either, is picture-messaging if that's big for you. granted all you have to do is email it instead, which is just as easy to do...

which is probably why it isn't in as a function, why picture message when you can just email it to someone and they can view it from THEIR smartphone or PC, etc.

Comment

I just wish it had a flash video player! But maybe my next one will! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                      I just wish it had a flash video player! But maybe my next one will! :)

i might be wrong but i think you can use the opera mobile browser for that.

I had the black berry pearl for 4 days, best 4 days of my life. But my job isnt exactly the driest or cleanest, so i couldnt even carry it most days. So i had to settle for this LG scoop.

Im getting a curve soon. One thing to look at is the online walmart cellphone page. You can get a cell phone most times cheaper thru that website then you can thru your actual carrier. Same plans same phones just half the price. Walmart had the Curve for free after rebates where Alltel had it for 250 after rebates. So give it a look.
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

There IS supposed to be a flash player for the BB....

I haven't looked very hard for it, yet, to prove it or provide a link. Sorry.

Trooper: I'm on my ex's cell phone plan so I'll be getting my own soon, with a different carrier. If they're not able to move my 8130 to the new service then I'll be getting a Curve and selling the Pearl. I'll be sure to look out for those deals, then.

Comment

My brother workd for walmart and he told me about it. I was really surprised.
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

If you can find a link by all means post it up mate, it would be much appreciated!

Comment

I gotta say the Q is not great out of the box, but adding programs like facade, fizz weather, and running some tweaks makes it the best phone I have EVER used.

go to q-users.com and do some quick research on what is available for the phone before you write it off.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X