No announcement yet.

Utorrent myths

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utorrent myths

Has anyone every heard that if you tweaked or changed some of your settings on Utorrents, Downspeeds will improve. I've tried it once and it looked like it did, but when i used it on my other computer it was opposite of what i expected. Have you tried it?

Re: Utorrent myths

I think you would need to elaborate on what you changed. There are a lot of tweaks you can do, but the one everyone should do is turn on the Encryption. It will help keep your ISP from throttling you, which they may do even if you are downloading legal torrents like the Project Reality mod files.

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

that video is set up to tweak HIS/ her? connection. some of those numbers are way off, and they do not explain why they use those numbers. the better approach would be to explain what the numbers mean, and how you should configure them for your connection.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Actually on the video it shows "Enable DHT Network" and "Enable DHT for new Torrents" as checked.

You'll want to uncheck these two unless the torrent states that it needs it. Both of these when enabled consume a lot of the available bandwidth on your connection. Most torrents do not make use of the DHT Network.

Another thing, in the video the guy has his "Global Maximum Download" speed set at 65. You'll want to make that at 80% of your connection's maximum.

For example: if you have a 1.5 mbps connection, then the maximum is 192 KB/s (equation: 1.5 x 1024 / 8). 80% of that would be: 153.6 KB/s. So you'd set it to 153.

Also with uTorrent, the basic idea is the more you upload, the faster you download. As you upload more, you contribute to the swarm overall and thus you should get a faster download. Torrenting is about sharing, so uTorrent tends to be one of the BT clients that emphasize that point.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed