Vista 64bit dvd download?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64bit dvd download?

Ok, I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit, and my copy never came with a 64 bit disc. I was wondering if I can get/download the dvd somewhere for free. As far as I know my key should work with a 64 bit version also. I don't really want to resort to a torrent, as they can be problematic (unless you know one that works :P), also I wouldn't mind having a disc.

Cheers

PS - I wanted to see what it would cost for ms to send me a disc from their site, but the site crapped out on me several times and I gave up.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Vista 64bit dvd download?

your best bet it is to contact microsoft, anything else is more than likely illegal.

Comment

If you bought a retail version you should be able to get a 64 bit DVD

Follow this link from another post to see the details

I paid 9.95 after entering my retail DVD code and got the 64 bit disk in about a week. If you have 32 installed you will need to do a clean installation for 64.

Comment

Originally posted by Drayu View Post
        your best bet it is to contact microsoft, anything else is more than likely illegal.
        downloading the OS, while not something Microsoft will ever endorse, is not illegal. As long as you have the EULA, the COA, and a valid keycode, where you get the media is not important.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

If I remember correctly, you can download Vista directly from Microsoft now.

At which point, you can install it without the key... and you have 30 days to activate it with a valid key.

-and as stated above, you cannot upgrade x86 to x64. You will have to do a clean install.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

OEM copies of Vista only come with that specific version. So if you bought a 32-bit OEM, the disk only includes the 32-bit version. You'd have to use the "Windows Anytime Upgrade", pay the upgrade fee, and download the 64-bit version straight to your hard drive from Microsoft's servers.

Afterwards, you'll have to burn the 64-bit version onto a DVD.

As others have already said, you'll need to do a clean install going from x86 to x64.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am aware that I will have to do a clean install. I got the key as part of a promotional package when I went to a microsoft event. There is nothing to indicate it was a trial (like the other software that came with the package), however it only provided a 32 bit disk. I am not even sure the key will work with a 64 bit version, which is why I am looking for a free disc/download. I am happy with the 32 bit version, but I would like for the os to fully utilize my 4gb of ram, and see how stable the drivers are for my hardware. Worst comes to worst, I will live happily with 32 bit.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                I don't really want to resort to a torrent, as they can be problematic (unless you know one that works :P), also I wouldn't mind having a disc.
                I didn't think you'd try to install Windows from a disc image without burning it to DVD. ;)

=DdogG= has done a lot of research about what's legal and not with Windows serial keys. Double-check his stickied post if he hasn't explained it in detail in this thread.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  I didn't think you'd try to install Windows from a disc image without burning it to DVD. ;)
                  Ya, but downloading a 3+gb image just to find out something is wrong sucks (like I had with a kubuntu image :/).

For those wondering, I am not personally interested in the legal side of things (only as far as it has to do with forum rules).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

a vista key is valid for both the 32bit and 64bit version. If you can get a 64bit install disk, your key WILL work with it. there is no differnce in oem and retail keys in vista. upgrade keys cannot do clean installs, but even that has ways around it (do a clean install and do not enter a key, then install again and vista will see the second as an upgrade.)
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                      Ya, but downloading a 3+gb image just to find out something is wrong sucks (like I had with a kubuntu image :/).
                      I don't know how to say this without offending you but kubuntu is free and has official torrents. It's not hard to get the wrong image unless you mean something goes wrong with the install. In that case, I'm not sure why you even asked about where to get Vista through a download because something can go wrong with that install too.

If you or you know of someone that has access to MSDNAA, you can download Vista Business 64-bit legitimately. You'll also get another product key for Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                        I don't know how to say this without offending you but kubuntu is free and has official torrents. It's not hard to get the wrong image unless you mean something goes wrong with the install. In that case, I'm not sure why you even asked about where to get Vista through a download because something can go wrong with that install too
                        Yes the download was from an official source. Ya the installer just hanged, so either the image was corrupt from the download, or the installer just bugged out (the more likely culprit). I was too lazy to look into it and installed ubuntu from a cd instead :P.

Either way, I don't ever recall having problem with an official cd (that wasn't scratched). I guess that's not a prime example, it was more aimed at torrents, with which I have had issues on several occasions.

If you or you know of someone that has access to MSDNAA, you can download Vista Business 64-bit legitimately. You'll also get another product key for Vista.
                        Interesting, I will have to ask some old university colleagues about that, someone has to have one :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Torrents are reliable in getting the correct bits downloaded. It's not like it doesn't to any checking. You're more likely to get a corrupt download from MSDNAA since it's just a regular ol' download.

With any disc image you download, it's good to check the bits with whatever available (CRC, MD5, etc.) and also the media you're burning the image on. Sometimes you can get an error free burn but crappy media can cause problems in reading the data.

Comment

So, I now have a question on this. I have an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate 64 bit. By the way I am reading it I can download a copy of 32 bit and use the SAME key and all will be good to go???
                            The way I understood it I would have to purchase a seperate copy if I wanted to downgrade to Vista 32 bit cause the CD Keys were different. Something to do with the OEM I thought.

Comment

the keys for x64 and x86 are the same.

I have a Vista Ultimate DVD that I use to install all my computers with, and every key (except the basic's obviously) I put in gives me both options. It is meant to be a free and easy upgrade to go to x64 with your existing key.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X