This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Speed Question?

Hi Folks.. I am buying a new Motherboard and was wondering.. I have RAM sitting here..3-4 gigs which were pulled from a Dell PC.. Synchronous 667Mhz Dimms..

If I put this in a DDR2 Motherboard which is rated to run a DDR2 1066 or higher.. will it work.. Just at the Slower Ram speed? I know Ram and Motherboards are kinda Flaky and tend to be Vendor Approved RAM only kinda deals.. but I have Free Ram.. and what else will this Optiplex be good for except tearing apart and parting it for my new machine.. eh??

Thanks
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Ram Speed Question?

It should run. Most ram is compatible unless your motherboard wouldn't support the voltage or timings. Easiest bet is to check your motherboard's website and see if they support the ram. Since it's free, it wouldn't hurt to try it out when your new mobo comes and if it doesn't work, then if you can wait, you just have to order the ram.

Comment

Without having any specific info, such as the model of motherboard you intend on buying, what processor you have that you're using, etc...

It's one thing that the board supports 1066, quite another if you have or plan on purchasing a processor that will take advantage of it. You can probably find a board that is just as feature-filled that is slightly older with a DDR2-800 spec, for a bit less money.

That will determine your choice, really. If I had a processor that supported 1066, and I was buying a 1066 board, I wouldn't gimp the performance and just drop the $100 or so for the 1066 and put the 667 into a cobbled-together DVR machine or a home file server. 667 is a little over HALF the performance.

I do have a board that supports 1066 myself, but I only have an Athlon X2 processor and already had DDR2-800. I plan on waiting a few months before upgrading to a Quad-Core Phenom, and by then, 1066 will have come down in price.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Basically I am taking a Dell Optiplex PC which has a C2D E8400 CPU and the RAM it shipped with in the optiplex and running them together... I just need a decent Board that will support the two of them and NO SLI... That seems to be the kicker... I will newegg this tomorrow... so any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Oh..btw.. I wanted to buy a Sound Card, a Creative labs Xfi.. but I have heard horror stories with the drivers and vista and BF2... Whats the deal there... ??
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

From what I've read (as I'm an AMD guy... ;) the E8400 supports that speed, as well as DDR3 so DDR2/3 motherboard should be compatible. Be sure to double-check the board's specs when you research them. It will support any RAM under that, so if you want to use 667 then by all means feel free.

You'd have to wait on some other replies, on the XFi... or you may want to do a search in the Battlefield forum for it. You can google XFi on this site and get some results back. I use the RaZer Barracuda AC-1 card.

I tend to be amused by how Dell builds their boxes, sometimes. I understand that the 667 option is there for a reason... such as some of our clients who just use their PCs are glorified POS machines, and that's fine for a low-cost standard business machine.... but... the price difference right now between 667 and 800, is negligible at best. Some places may only have a $20 difference at the most, for a 4GB pair.

Just my own gripe. At least my boss was kind enough to order my D620 with the Nvidia graphics instead of the crap integrated GMA.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Agree Re: Dell.. but when you can get an Optiplex/Vostro with a 22" LCD for under $600.00 they got to be skimping on lots of the internals.. It's crazy how cheap they can pump these out tho.. They just suxS for Gaming and such... Funny thing (or sad.. ) I wanted to throw in a 9600GT Vid card but of course the stock 300 Watt PS won't support the card..and the PS only had 4 SATA Power cords and a small floppy power connector... no standard IDE power at all... Talk about low end custom..

Dell CHEAPO BOX DEAL
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
              Agree Re: Dell.. but when you can get an Optiplex/Vostro with a 22" LCD for under $600.00 they got to be skimping on lots of the internals.. It's crazy how cheap they can pump these out tho.. They just suxS for Gaming and such... Funny thing (or sad.. ) I wanted to throw in a 9600GT Vid card but of course the stock 300 Watt PS won't support the card..and the PS only had 4 SATA Power cords and a small floppy power connector... no standard IDE power at all... Talk about low end custom..

Dell CHEAPO BOX DEAL
              That's just the thing, peardog: the Vostro and Optiplex are Business-Standard machines. The Optiplex is your EveryOfficePC, and the Vostro is their new line of Small-Business-centric systems. They are standardized on certain chipset platforms that change very little between model succession (GX620-GX630 or D620-D630) and only include platorm updates to support the next technology that goes in them, and the chipsets themselves most likely will not include anything cutting-edge or brand new; it has to be a proven and reliable platform before they release. Keeps support and warranty cost down. The Vostro line even have their own care and maintenance plans available.

"Home consumer", and higher-performance, would be your Dimension and XPS systems which also will have more recent, and more frequently revised and updated platforms.

I'm frankly surprised your box had 4 SATA power connectors; if it is a Small Form Factor machine, you would be lucky to have two of them, much less four (one HDD, one DVD, period). The chassis might be usable, but a 300W power supply will not, as you've already found out. You would have to research Dell to see if they would even offer an upgraded power supply that will fit, have the proper connectors, and have enough OF them for your use. -and if not, you would have to find one that fits. If Dell uses an industry-standard type/size, then you're in luck. The chassis is also set up for a particular airflow design. The new motherboard may not have the processor slot in the same physical location as the Dell board did, and that will move your heatsink. Then the heatsink may not fit, and you'd have to get another heatsink. Once you do, if you don't have some sort of inatke or exhaust fan on the chassis, you'll have to install that provided there's room on the box for such things. If not, you will have a jacked-up airflow issue on your hands. Dell very specifically designs their cooling to be high-efficiency and with low fan speeds to keep it quiet.

What you're trying to work with, is your Accountant's computer.

Comment

Heh yep... a Corporate Freebie essentially..given away during a tech training program this summer.. I just throught I would make the best of the parts in a new build...

I went and ordered the Foxconn P45A-S board... decent reviews and since I am not pushing the clock I shouldn't have too many issues,, Fingers Crossed...

Thanks for all your input.
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

No prob. Again, be sure to watch the heatsink placement and whatnot, and make sure you get the graphics board/power supply issue addressed. You're not going to get very far with the onboard graphics, discrete or not....

Comment

Ya.. I already have a 9600GTO sitting here waiting.. and an Antec 800 Watt PS in my New Case.. Not cutting edge but a step up and away from my Shuttle Box which is power supply short..
                    Thanks again..
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse