Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COMCAST to cap monthly bandwidth at 250gb in Oct.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMCAST to cap monthly bandwidth at 250gb in Oct.

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/08/28/2339207.shtml

"Comcast has confirmed that all residential customers will be subject to a 250 gigabyte per month data limit starting October 1. 'This is the same system we have in place today,' Comcast wrote in an amendment to its acceptable use policy. 'The only difference is that we will now provide a limit by which a customer may be contacted.' The cable provider insisted that 250 GB is "an extremely large amount of data, much more than a typical residential customer uses on a monthly basis. ... As part of our pre-existing policy, we will continue to contact the top users of our high-speed Internet service and ask them to curb their usage,' Comcast said Thursday. 'If a customer uses more than 250 GB and is one of the top users of our service, he or she may be contacted by Comcast to notify them of excessive use,' according to the AUP."
    Can FIOS come any slower?

Re: COMCAST to cap monthly bandwidth at 250gb in Oct.

So I guess I can't back up my remote server more than every other month. :p
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

well i love comcast, had them for 10 years now and a very good service, but if they cap me then I will let them know i am GONE... so we will see. thx for the info.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I have had DSL lines up until I moved into this apartment, where it was so slow on these old lines (1.5MBits called, they want 1999 back....) I just HAD to go with Comcast. I like the speed, just not everything that goes with it.

Fortunately I'll be moving out soon, and will no longer need to subject myself to Comcast.

Of course, that also makes me want to open up and rant about the telecoms in the WORST way, and how really, we haven't made more than squat toward any REAL telecom progress in years.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

You should see what it's like in Canada...

Rogers has a 60GB cap for regular high speed Internet subscribers.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

250gb doesn't sound like much to me. I'm not a big torrent guy, but I'm on line all day working, playing, streaming, etc. I have no idea what I use on a monthy basis.

I just installed this to see if I need to worry about this or not:
            Netmeter
            New to TG?

Comment

Without getting into the whole "that's not really the point" thing, I think it's ridiculous that I'm getting LESS intertubes than I did five years ago, for basically the same price, and not that much of a speed increase overall.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

It sounds like this was always their cap, but the FCC is now making them expose their capping policies instead of surprising you with them after you've exceeded some unstated limit.

Note that 250 gigabytes is 2 terrabits. That seems like a lot. Over USB2, it takes my server about 4 hours to transfer 150 gigabytes.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  You should see what it's like in Canada...

Rogers has a 60GB cap for regular high speed Internet subscribers.
                  From the comcast article:

The cap is also above those of some other ISPs. Cox Communications' monthly caps vary from 5 gigabytes to 75 gigabytes depending the subscriber's plan. Time Warner Cable Inc. is testing caps between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes in one market. Frontier Communications Co., a phone company, plans to start charging extra for use of more than 5 gigabytes per month.
                  New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                    From the comcast article:

The cap is also above those of some other ISPs. Cox Communications' monthly caps vary from 5 gigabytes to 75 gigabytes depending the subscriber's plan. Time Warner Cable Inc. is testing caps between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes in one market. Frontier Communications Co., a phone company, plans to start charging extra for use of more than 5 gigabytes per month.
                    5GB is crappy. Bell Canada did this several years ago and it didn't last long. Of course, they didn't offer alternatives going up to 75GB. It was flat out 5GB per month.

250GB is a lot. For gaming, audio/video streaming, and even downloading large files, 250GB will be sufficient. I do all that and don't break 60GB. Only a small percentage will upload/download more than a harddrive's worth of data per month. The real issue is we were used to unlimited access and it's being taken away. I think part of it is to ensure reliable service for all subscribers and the other part is to make money of those that love to transfer huge amounts of data.

Honestly, I don't think at this point there should be a need to transfer more than 250GB/month. It's a lot and would require a huge amount of constant downloading. I doubt this is data being uploaded either since upload speeds are nowhere near to download speeds on most residential connections. What are people downloading?

I like the idea of unlimited usage but is it only because of the thought of unlimited usage or do I really need to download the entire Internet?

Or is this a fight to prevent a cap when someday 250GB will not be enough with increasing popularity with data streaming?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If i were to use my connection at full bandwidth (3 megabits/sec) for 5 hours a day for thirty days, that would be around 198 gigs. I don't know about the rest of my family but thats pretty difficult to pull since school started.

But, like cell phones, i certainly don't want the feeling in the back of my head that i'm going to cap my budget.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

250 GB is still crap. If you're paying $50 a month for a 6 MB line, they shouldn't be capping you because of a minority group of users who use a lot of bandwidth to illegally acquire files.

Yes, 250 GBs is a lot of bandwidth, but once it gets shared with 4-5 other users in the family, it doesn't come out to a whole lot. I've used 100 GBs a few times before, so multiply that by even 3 other people and you get 300 GBs a month.

I would be more understanding if the limit was 500 GBs or 1 TB. They seem to come up with these figures when they are figuring that only 1 person uses the whole line a month.

Hopefully, AT&T will not start adopting a similar policy. $30 a month for just a 3 mbps connection is quite a bit when I compare it to what other people are paying around the nation. Add on to it a bandwidth cap and I'll start screaming "rip off".
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For Shaw communications (the ISP I have) they limit 1 GB of bandwidth per month but it's not enforced... ever.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Bell Sympatico had a 10GB cap up here a couple years ago (maybe 6 or so). That didn't fly for long. I am currently with rogers on a 60gb cap, and I think I have only used it once (my pc is on 24/7, not downloading always naturally, plus 2 others used casually). I don't know how you can complain about 250 :P (although I wish that I had none). Some people must download alot of legal stuff like linux distributions :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I was just listening to Leo Laport and he was talking about the ISP that hosts his streamingn video show. I think he said they give him free bandwidth and he asked how they could afford to do this. They told him bandwidth costs are plummeting. They are half of what it was just a year or two ago.

I think that what is happening is the FCC and the public criticisms are forcing them to explicitly state their internal policies. And they are an effective monopoly is many cases. Sure, you can get dsl but it is only a fraction of what cable offers.

Monopolies allow you to do pretty much what you want.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X