The Fastest 3D Cards Go Head-To-Head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fastest 3D Cards Go Head-To-Head

This article was just posted, and is one of the most comprehensive I have seen in a long time.

The Fastest 3D Cards Go Head-To-Head : Taxing Modern CPUs With Powerful Graphics

To find the best performing and least expensive combination, we put the fastest graphics cards through a series of tests consisting of 60 benchmarks, numerous side-by-side comparisons, and a price analysis.
    The thing is, in many of the game fps tests, it has a crossfire setup scoring below a single card. Now, I know a lot depends on drivers and things and what game it is, but all the ones I looked at had it showing that. I know I have seen other crossfire reviews where it did good in a game like COD4.

And I can't believe they didn't test a 4870x2.

But, it does have a really great part of the article on pages 30-32, where you can gauge your current card against most other modern cards. As I posted here before, I can't believe my 8800GTS 640mb is so weak now.

In the end, they declare the new ATI 4850 the winner.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The Fastest 3D Cards Go Head-To-Head

Wow, i didn't think my 8800 GTS OC 320mb does that bad. I thought it was around the same level as a 4850 actually.

Comment

Stilll quite happy with my 8800GT that I over clocked to GTS levels (600MHz -> 675MHz) and it still runs coolish for a G92
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Your right Bamboo, COD 4 was one game that the ATI cards absolutely loved, especially in CF. Those benches don't reflect what I have seen in other benches for the same scenario. Strange and mis-leading I think.

This generation of CF has shown that it is a viable option if you need to run higher resolutions. It's just a matter of waiting on drivers which appears to be moving along nicely.

Comment

Wow, the 8800GT (Crysis, High Settings) is pretty on par with the HD4850. They both perform pretty close together and sometimes only differ by a frame or two.

Hmm, but in CoD4 (1280 x 1024, max quality), the HD4850 blows away the 8800GT by about 20 fps. Kind of shocking the results between the two games.

At the same time, it's hard for me to place my 8800GT SC version on that chart, since I have the clock speeds of the GTS, but it's a newer core.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ATI's new stuff doesn't run Crysis as great at Nvidia, but then again the game isn't that great, so no big loss.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well, I'm not really a fan of Crysis either, but using it as a benchmark is pretty good testing. It does look like the 4870 holds out pretty well against some of the low-to-midrange GTX200 cards. That definitely looks like the card to purchase for a new rig nowadays.

I'm also (like Reaper) happy with my current 8800GT SC. It's still a great card. :)
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you check the comments at the bottom of the article you will notice a lot of complaints about their methods. Mainly that they used the newest Nvidia drivers and oldest drivers possible to support the 4800 series for ATI.

While they did declare the 4850 the winner that was with a number of subjective areas taken into account(sound, heat). Using the prices they found when they made the article they declared the 8800gt the best price/performance. I suspect this was without taking any slick deals into account.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The 9800 GX2 is seriously taking some cake in those tests. Price to bang for buck it's looking very appealing.

- -

Comment

For most of the tests I've seen, the nvidia cards do better when raw processing power is needed. When you start throwing in AA and AF the design of the ATI cards is better and they tend to win.

Best card right now I've seen from the benchmarks is the ATI 4870 X2 followed closely by GTX 280. The GX2 is great for raw processing power but drops alot when turning on AA and upping the AF.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                      For most of the tests I've seen, the nvidia cards do better when raw processing power is needed. When you start throwing in AA and AF the design of the ATI cards is better and they tend to win.

Best card right now I've seen from the benchmarks is the ATI 4870 X2 followed closely by GTX 280. The GX2 is great for raw processing power but drops alot when turning on AA and upping the AF.
                      Just depends on the game. If you take an engine like assasin's creed, it's comparable to AoC and a few other games around that use the wide expansive engine with sm 3.0.

Some of those engines seem to have been seriously optimized with certain models/companies.

- -

Comment

I had actually thought of ditching my 8800GT and possibly getting 2-4850 cards and trying crossfire(since my motherboard is crossfire ready). I haven't really been keeping up on the tecjhnology of computers as of late so unsure of this. My PSU is only set up to run the power for 2 of these cards as well. It has the 2-6 pin power connectors.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X