Who knows about laptops.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows about laptops.

Well I am looking into laptops at the moment, nothing overly exciting just something to do some writing on and hook up to the internet to reaserch on, however i would like it to be reasonaly quick to use. One thing I hate is sitting around for alaptop to plod through start up, this has been my experience with them in the past that they take a while. Well I do not have alot of funds to spend but I think I could raise 300 pounds. Well I have been viewing a couple of these http://www.asus-uk.com/eeepc/about/ laptops what do peope think, any recomendation of your own?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Who knows about laptops.

If you do want to go with a netbook instead of a full notebook, a lot of people really like the eeepc, but tons of other people have new models that are worth comparing too. For instance:

MSI's 8.9-inch Wind U90 in the flesh, Linux version shipping for 339 Euro

Dell's Inspiron 910 netbook limps a bit closer to release

Demand for HP's Mini-Note growing fast?

Commodore hops on the netbook bandwagon with UMMD 8010/F

Raon Digital Everun Note gets a price, brochure

Those are all from the past few days.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

the biggest problem with any computer is the bloatware installed. I can get a 700mhz celeron with 256megs of ram to fly on xp, or I can buy a c2d 2.4ghz w/ 4gigs to crawl on vista. I would look into the acer one laptops, the MSI wind, the http://www.kohjinsha.com.sg/products.htm line of laptops, also, the fujitsu u810.

the asus 4g eee is a good option as it can handle xp rather well, and there are a lot of hacks available to give it more features.

I have a sony ux380n umpc and I love it. It is a little bigger than a sony walkman tape player, but is a full vista computer with more features than most laptops. I can run premiere on it without a hitch.

I have a lot more detail I can go into on most of these and a few others if you need me to, but for what you want, the msi wind is probably the best choice.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for the surgestions guys I will check through those, as I am here could anyone tell me what i am paying for with these machines ? Would it be cheaper to go with a full notebook over one of these netbooks? I certainly don't want to be paying more for it being 'trendy' that is not what I am after I just want something I can easily carry round and start up when ever to get some quick work done.

Edit: just to add I am not worry about having loads of storage space I notice some have up to 80gb well i do not need anything like that since I can transfer everything to my PC at home, this is just for quick use when I am away from the comp.

Well I looked at the pricing of the msi and it was 350 pounds I would rather not spend more than 300 myself but while looking I also saw a Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, anyone heard much about these? Same price as the Epc asus 901 and looks roughly the same spec (this is to my untrained eye), you guys tell me if I am thinking stupid.
        Last edited by Disciple; 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

A lot of people bring up the point about for a little more you could get a full laptop.
          But that is not the point of these. The point is like the the eee, it is about the size of a paperback book, and can fit in a pocket. Look around for some pics where someone is holding it to see what I mean.

I don't see it as paying for trendy. I see it as a good way to carry a small computer with a near normal keyboard around with you everywhere. Leave it in the car or your school backpack and will hardly notice it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

One thing to keep in mind with the smaller netbook style is that the keyboards are smaller as well, so I suggest you demo one and see if your hands are comfortable using it if you have to do a lot of typing. I tried to find one to check it out in person but couldn't.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Well, it mainly depends on for what you want to use your notebook. If you only want to do text work, you can buy pretty much any laptop available (though I'd recommend installing XP or Kubuntu as OS, since Vista runs extremely slow on even better-than-average laptops); if you want to be able to play games however, it'll look a lot more complicated...

Comment

I'd recommend an HP for price and support.

Dells are good but support is overseas after 5PM EST.

Macs are ok but tend to wear out faster than others.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I work in IT so I may be able to help you.

Comment

Go for a basic lappy within your price range. I know it’s hard to stay away from all the fancy ads and new tech, but there are lots of last year’s lappys still on the market. And its solid advice to get your hands on a few examples at the stores, get a feel for those keyboards before you buy.

I’m no expert about “bloat-ware” but I do know that after I did a fresh install of XP on my new new-ish lappy (with Vista) it was a whole new machine. I have been told that any new laptop needs a basic install right after purchase and not to bother with the factory install. Opinions on this?

Sarcoma
                  Sarcoma.

Comment

I would agree with that but many of the companies give you windows on a special install cd that installs all that extra crap or they will partition the hd with a special partition with the software on it and then when you reinstall it puts all the bloatware back on.

Now, if you have your own copy of windows, then you are in business. Just make sure you have the key too, because the laptop may come with an oem version of windows and the won't work with the non-oem version, or at least that is my experience.

Comment

if you get a computer with vista there are no "oem" and "retail" keys. but if you want to go to xp and have a valid key, pm me and I will help you get the media you need - because as I have said dozens of times, the media is unimportant to microsoft according to the eula. the eula, keycode, and COA are the only things you need to own a valid copy of windows.

as for the eeepc and the acer.

this is all shooting from the hip, so I could very easily be WAY off base here.

Acer = atom
                      eeepc = via?

if this is the case, I saw a youtube video (I think bamboo linked to it in this forum) where the eeepc's via chip played 1080p video without a hiccup and the atom stuttered like slingblade. I will dig and get the truth.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I believe they both use the atom, why is that not a very good chip ?

Winston Churchill

Comment

Atom Dual core is supposed to be out very soon, like any day now I think.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146464

I personally have a T61. Love it.

Comment

That is actually pretty expensive for what that Thinkpad offers.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X