Help in finding out if someone is using my connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in finding out if someone is using my connection

Ok, I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my connection.

I have a very nice 10Mbit connection (reduced from 16) to save a few bucks, but my ping recently, even before the switch, has gone into the crapper..

Now, make fuin of me all you will, but I used to get high 20's to high 30's ping to our CoD4 servers, and now I am up in the 70's..

I switched routers, reset, reboot, re-everythinged that I can think to do, but I think I need some sort of bandwidth monitor..

I see lots of "gizmo's" for Vista, but I am using 32-bit XP Pro, and I find nothing..

Surely there is a tool that I can use that will tell me what my router is actually doing, and who is actually connected to it etc..

A call to the cable company met with no real results, as the person I got connected with after being on hold for 24 minutes, did not seem to interested in hearing my complaint.

I even hooked my old modem back up with the same results..I updated the firmware on my Linksys N (the gigabit one), and nothing..turned off all the other computers, nothing..

I am kind of at a loss..the one thing useful I did find out from the cable person was that the rains/storms we had about the time all this started happening had nothing to do with it..I assumed they had some equipment damage or something, but the guy says all is well..

Anyone...? Anyone..? Bueller...? Bueller...?

Re: Help in finding out if someone is using my connection

Your router will probably have a list of MAC addresses that are currently connected. Check that to make sure that there isn't something in there you don't recognize.

You can also use tracert to check the hops to the server for problems. Open a command prompt and type "tracert xxx.xxx.xx.x" where the x's are replaced by the ip address. If you post the tracert response in here be sure to hide the ip address's that can point to you if you wish to remain anonymous.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I ran that here at work..there was a LOT of hops..several don't seem to be "anything" but it shows from the host here at work, to the provider, to 2 different just plain ip's that I have no idea about, to dallas, then to houston, then to the server host..

I have no idea which numbers are accurate or which to go by..

I will also do this when I get home and see what is going on..I have noticed that in the rcon tools there are a couple of players that have ip's from the UK even though one is in San Diego and the other is in Denver..so who knows what in the world is going on..

Comment

Ok, what cable company do you have?

I have comcast here in kansas & had the same problem a few months back. I had new cable, new splitter & new modem installed & still the same problem, they finally realized it was an amplifier node down the street set way too high. They ajusted it & it works great now.

Comment

I also just had Comcast out to fix a disconnection problem I was having here in Colorado. It was either a bad amplifier, or an amplifier that needed adjustment. Not too sure. But the tech was telling me that since the internet signal comes across the wire, and the wire has to come from the closest hub, and then through several amplifier pedestals, things can change for everyone's service on the line depending upon how many customer's are connected to that same line as you, how many are actually accessing the service at one time, changes to wiring and amps the cable company has made on that line, etc., etc.. He told me to simply think of it as one big network with only so much bandwidth to go around.
          |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

Originally posted by machineofdeath View Post
            Ok, what cable company do you have?

I have comcast here in kansas & had the same problem a few months back. I had new cable, new splitter & new modem installed & still the same problem, they finally realized it was an amplifier node down the street set way too high. They ajusted it & it works great now.
            Charter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
              Your router will probably have a list of MAC addresses that are currently connected. Check that to make sure that there isn't something in there you don't recognize.
              Here's one to make you laugh...

Hadn't checked for 'unauthorized' connections in a while and I haven't locked down our new T-Mobile router (a souped up WRT54G with more RAM and flash) by MAC address so I went and checked current connections and freaked out for a second. Saw 5 but then realized 3 of them are our WiFi phones.

Thanks for keeping me honest Wimp. :)

Comment

I ran that tracert at the house last night..there are 6 "hops" between me and the server, and I ran it like 20 times and it never came back out of the 30's..but my ping in-game has gone up more than double that..

So now I am more confused than ever...

I also looked at every section of the router and cannot see a thing that shows anywhere what is connected..so I am still at a loss to see if someone is using my connection..the wep is on, but only at 64-bit..

Comment

You can look at the "filtering MAC addresses" function on your router to see what wireless signals are active in your area and you can filter them to either allow access or block them. Page 12-13 in your manual if I looked at the same Linksys N router (the one with 2 antennae and a paddle looking thing in the middle) Usually, even basic WEP encryption keeps most out because there are so many other open systems to access.

If you are using XP you should check your RWIN settings by using the tweak test and drtcp tools at www.dslreports.com. You can increase your RWIN to a higher range or even beyond the zone to uncork more bandwidth. Keep in mind though that the more you uncork the more your Windows Scaling number increases which may lead to significant packet loss. Higher is not always better because some networks to not support Windows Scaling. First check your RWIN to see if it is in the suggested range and go from there. After each change you will need to restart and you can run a speed test to see if it made any difference.

PS: My ping to the servers can fluctuate from time to time and it is network related somewhere between me and the server. I usually average 70, but right now it is 105. It may last several days or a week sometimes but it usually gets back in order. Once you have checked all of your machine settings that is all you can control. Network performance on the internet is a different animal.

Comment

Sweet..more good stuff to try..! Thanks man! mine is not that freaky 3 antenna'ed dude though..mine is kind of flat and has no antennae sticking out of it at all, and it is a [email protected]!

i think the model is: WRT310N

link to product is:
                    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2528039789B02

I am trying to find a download of this LELA thing, as it proclaims that it can monitor all of the activity invoving the router...I guess I did not save the disk when I got mine out of the box, as I cannot find it at the house :(

Comment

Are you on wireless or wired?

If you're on wired, how long is the ethernet cable you're using?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have you tried hooking your computer directly to the modem to see if your router is at fault?

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Are you on wireless or wired?

If you're on wired, how long is the ethernet cable you're using?
                          Wired, and about 5 feet, even made me a couple of new cables to see if that was the problem as well.. Also plugged in a USB "N" plug, and same thing, but strangly, my up is better on wireless of all weird things..:row__736:

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          Have you tried hooking your computer directly to the modem to see if your router is at fault?
                          Yes, and unfortunately, no difference at all, but tried new router anyways just to be sure..:row__541:

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post

You can also use tracert to check the hops to the server for problems. Open a command prompt and type "tracert xxx.xxx.xx.x" where the x's are replaced by the ip address. If you post the tracert response in here be sure to hide the ip address's that can point to you if you wish to remain anonymous.
                            Did this yield anything useful?
                            Retired 6th DB

Comment

Could just be a spike or two along the way from your PC to the game server (easily identified through the trace route results).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X