Poof! Computer gone.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poof! Computer gone.

Well, my work pc just crashed. I think it's a power issue. It might be a blessing in disguise though, because I've been wanting to use one pc with separate hardrives & os for work and play (I hope the hardrive is salvageable).

I'm googling right now as I have no idea how to do this. If anyone here has any experience using multiple bootable drives I'd love to have some links or other advice. Thanks in advance!

edit:
    I would be trying to add a 30 gig IDE with XP home sp2 from the fried box to this:
    A7n8x-e dlx
    AMD 2500+ barton
    1gig ddr
    Maxtor 250gig SATA (partitions: 3x50, 1x100)
    xp home sp2

Would I be better off just trying to copy the old data onto one of my partitions of the SATA and using the old drive as a backup? hmmmm
    Last edited by USN_Squid; 12-29-2004, 02:51 PM.
    New to TG?

Re: Poof! Computer gone.

Originally posted by USN_Squid
    Well, my work pc just crashed. I think it's a power issue. It might be a blessing in disguise though, because I've been wanting to use one pc with separate hardrives & os for work and play (I hope the hardrive is salvageable).

I'm googling right now as I have no idea how to do this. If anyone here has any experience using multiple bootable drives I'd love to have some links or other advice. Thanks in advance!

if the computer can boot from a usb drive.....

just get external enclosures for the both of them. most amd athlon machines can do it.... p4's as well. I have 5 piii's that do it.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

yup, my bios has several USB boot options (fdd, hdd, etc>) That would help keep things cooler too eh?

I'm wondering if I could keep the 250gig in the computer as it is now, and just add the older drive as a USB external. Then select the bios to boot from USB first, if none found then the internal would boot?
      New to TG?

Comment

correct...
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Turns out it was the pwr supply that went tits up. I cannibilized one out of a box in the basement and it seems to be running steady now. I may go ahead and plan for the future with the external box like you suggested Dog, thanks for the tip.
          New to TG?

Comment

I have been unable to get the external HDD to boot. It's a vanilla ATA 30g drive in a USB2 enclosure. I can install it in the PC and it boots and all is well, but via USB in the enclosure it's a no go. This happens whether the other drive is connected or not. In my Bios boot priority section USB HDD is available.

A g33k friend of mine told me it can't be done because the USB uses a different control bus.....whatever! I searched the MS knowledge base and the most relevant article I find is from 8/04 also saying that external HDD with OS is not supported.

Any ideas? What do you think Dog?
            New to TG?

Comment

it is possible, but the drive might need to have windows set up while it is an external usb drive..... although the bios should just make the usb drive the c: drive..... it is obvious the computer is capable of doing it..... what happens when the external drive is the only drive? does it boot, does it say "no bootable device found"? I think there might be another part that needs to be taken care of... the enclosure might not support the function, or there might be another option in bios to enable usb dos functionality...........

I think what might also be happening is that the os is reading the boot sector from the internal drive. while this is unlikely, if the external enclosure is incapable of booting from itself, you could very easily reinstall windows on the external drive and use the windows boot manager to choose the os. this would keep you from having to change the bios, and would ensure that everything is kosher with both os'es.

also, the enclosure will most certainly need the drive to be set to master... setting cs or slave will mess things up... double check that too.

Comment

How do you set a USB drive to Master, Slave, or Cable select? The last time I looked these were not an option for external devices.
                I live in New Zealand, which is the home of horrendus hardware prices, but what is the problem with using a small, [10 GB], internal drive to run the OS, and chuck all the applici
                ations on the removable drives.

Keeping life simple may well save yours.

Comment

the drive itself has jumpers to choose between the three.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X