Just Bought The Parts to a Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought The Parts to a Computer

Just ordered the parts to my computer on Newegg. What do you think of this rig? If you can, rate it on a scale of 1-10 please. Also, add http to the beginning of the link.

i38.tinypic.com/2d9rhk.png

Re: Just Bought The Parts to a Computer

Cases (for me) aren't a big deal; I like them big and simple, and this one looks like it is, so you're fine there.

Video card is a G92. Nvidia has apparently taken a nose-dive quality-wise since the G80 chip in the first runs of the 8800GTS. You might get lucky, you might get a gremlin. -1 point.

Creative sucks, but whatever, it will make noise for you.

Power supply should be big enough.

2 gigs of ram is rather poor these days, and on a 64-bit archetecture you don't have the address limit excuse to not buy up, especially now that the RAM prices have been experiencing a price war. -1 point.

I am unfamilar with Gigabyte's mobo reputation. The processor's performance will be as good as your motherboard allows it to be. -0 if your mobo gives you liberty, -2 if your mobo is a fascist.

So, 6 to 8 depending on overclockability.

Comment

I would haqve ditched the Xfi (I have one and Creative' support sucks) and bought a 4850 instead of that 8800. I also wouldn't build a new box with less than 4GB of RAM, especially since it is so darn cheap these days. The rest of the stuff looks pretty good. Gigabyte makes pretty good boards. If you plan on overclocking, you're going to need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler.

That said, save for the RAM, your computer beats mine in pretty much every area. What kind of hard drive are you using?

As it stands, I'd give you a 6/10, mainly because of the video card and the 2GB of RAM. The rest of it looks pretty good.
      sigpic

Comment

Like Buckets and Magna have said, you could have gone with 4 GBs of RAM.

Due to the drop in pricing on quad-cores, I would have suggested a Q6600 instead of the E8400. Although the E8400 isn't bad (quite fast), a quad-core would have been nicer for me since I tend to mutlitask heavily and use processor intensive applications.

Also games are starting to support multiple cores quite well. A lot of the newer titles already have basic dual-core support and games like Far Cry 2 are going to support quad-cores as well.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The reason I got the sound card is so I could play Ultra High sound quality in Battlefield 2. You need a Soundblaster with X-Fi to do that, stupid and cheap in my opinion, but oh well. The only game I play right now is Battlefield 2, and Project Reality. I'll add 2 more GB of RAM when BF3 is going to come out. My hard drive and CD drives need to be upgraded too, I didn't bother to. I have 1x Seagate, ATA, 200 GigaBytes - 1x Maxtor, ATA, 81 GigaBytes for Hard Drives, and Sony DVD RW DRU-500A for my DVD Drive.

Comment

You didn't mention what OS you are using?

And the guys are right, the ati 4850 would have been the same price but faster.

And even BF2 will be happy to go over 2 gigs if you let it have room to breath. Go ahead and get the extra ram now while it is so cheap.

But it is a good build, and it will make you very happy with PR.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm using 32 bit XP.

Comment

Well, when you decide to make to the move to 4 GB of RAM, consider purchasing a copy of Vista x64 so you can take advantage of all 4 GBs.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I installed Ubuntu x64 to take advantage of all 4GB. Besides, you'd need 6 or 7GB of RAM to take advantage of 4GB when Vista is running. Well, "running" is too strong of a word...

Comment

Magna, how do you run "windoze games" like BF2 under Linux?

Do you use Wine or some equivalent emulator?

Comment

Originally posted by beaker424 View Post
                      Do you use Wine or some equivalent emulator?
                      WINE: Wine Is Not an Emulator

WINE maps the Windows APIs to their equivalent Linux APIs. In crude form, a call to WinDrawSprite gets mapped to LinDrawSprite. Except that the APIs don't match one-to-one, so in some cases multiple Windows APIs turn into one Linux one, or vice versa.

The machine instruction set is still the same, so the program runs at full speed.

At one point my game PC was unstable under XP64 with 2 sticks of memory, so I pulled a stick out. That made the system unbearably slow. So I switched from running WoW natively to running it in Wine under Linux. Linux has a much smaller memory footprint than Windows, so that freed up enough memory to get acceptable performance with half the memory. It ran as fast in that setup as it did with the original amount of memory under XP.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Magna, I have tried to use all 4gigs of my ram using every program I could open, tons of firefox tabs, and playing crysis on top of that, and still didn't reach 3.5 gigs.

It runs just fine on 4, thanks.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X