Wish I had come here first...help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I had come here first...help!

Earlier today I ordered an Alienware. I know...I know...after looking up some reviews and the research I really should have done in the first place, I discovered that Alienware means a neat looking case that turns everything inside it more expensive. I was reading a thread on here about 9800GT vs GTX260 and saw some people who had posted that you guys are more than willing to help people set up/build their own, buying parts for MUCH cheaper, and I then realized the mistake I had made. Well, it's only been 7 hours since I placed my order and I am already frustrated with AW. NOWHERE on their site can I find any information on canceling my order (based on what I've read, there's no way they have even thought about building my machine yet, so I imagine I should still be able to cancel, yes?) Does anybody have any experience with canceling one? I come here humbly asking for assistance, please don't make fun of me for stupidly rushing into a purchase without researching it first. Thank you in advance!

Re: Wish I had come here first...help!

Alienware is now dell, btw.

I would call them and tell them to cancel the order. there is a chance you are going to get stuck with a 15% restock fee, even though nothing has been done yet, but if you really want it canceled, you might have to suck it up.

and yes, we would be more than happy to steer the purchase of parts and build of the machine. Several members have recently built computers, and quite a few are up to date on the latest tech... almost all of us know our way around the inside of a computer, and I will be happy to act like I know what I am talking about... hehe.

btw, welcome to tactical gamer.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Great 1st post :D

And as Dog said, welcome to TG. We'll be happy to help.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Good luck and Mr. Bamboo will one of your best resources here for just such a question.

Comment

Oh yeah, cancel it. And then let's build you a power machine so you can rock the TG servers silly!!

Comment

Indeed. There's plenty of us who are knowledgeable, in all stages of the building process, who are more than happy to help.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Wow, thank you all for the kind welcomes! Apparently my order is now in the "cancellation" process, phew! They didn't say anything to me about a restocking fee, but I'm going to make sure to keep an eye on my account just in case. Again, thank you!

Without the financing option, it's going to take me a while to be able to do this, I'm going to have to go piece by piece. I'll start a new thread at some point for questions I have when I get there (soon, I hopes).

Comment

how old are you?

and what about a newegg credit card, its basically the same thing
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

yeah, Newegg's line of credit setup isn't bad. They often offer 6mo and 1yr no payments no interest (so long as you have it paid off in the timeframe) type deals which I've used in the past.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'm 22. I'm a bit out of the loop on....well, everything. I've been a gamer my whole life (first memories I have are playing Adventure Island and Zelda II :P ) I had no idea Newegg offered a credit line, this is great news! After thinking about it more I'm still going to take the purchasing process a bit slower. I'm in school right now, and while I probably could buy a complete rig now, I'd like to eat something other than ramen every now and again!

I would, however, like to start this "frankenstein" computer. What is a good place to start? Is it weird doing it like this, ordering one piece at a time? I know it would probably be easier to save up and buy everything at once, but...well, I'm not the best at saving :P Should I make a new thread for this?

Edit- I realize it would probably help you guys if I TOLD you what I was looking for in my computer :P Basically, I want a beast. I've always been basically on the tail end of tech leaps, having computers that ran games well, but not great. Well, i want to run games great =D I'd like to be able to run Crysis on max settings. That, and something that is EASILY upgradeable. Thank you!

Comment

Ordering piece by piece really isn't the way to go. You end up with a bunch of outdated crap that you paid too much for by the time you put everything together. You can buy things like cases and optical drives and let them sit but for the rest of the computer, it really isn't a great idea.

As for your wish list, I don't think anything out there that is within a semi-reasonable price range will run Crisis at max. The game sucks anyhow so it really isn't a big loss. Anything you build should be more upgradable than something you buy but with Intel releasing a new socket at the end of the year and AMD lagging behind in performance right now, you won't end up with infinite upgradability (is that even a word?) unless you want to replace major parts.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                        Ordering piece by piece really isn't the way to go. You end up with a bunch of outdated crap that you paid too much for by the time you put everything together. You can buy things like cases and optical drives and let them sit but for the rest of the computer, it really isn't a great idea.

As for your wish list, I don't think anything out there that is within a semi-reasonable price range will run Crisis at max. The game sucks anyhow so it really isn't a big loss. Anything you build should be more upgradable than something you buy but with Intel releasing a new socket at the end of the year and AMD lagging behind in performance right now, you won't end up with infinite upgradability (is that even a word?) unless you want to replace major parts.
                        Well then, that solves my problems. If it's going to definitely benefit me to wait, that's what I'll do =D Thank you all again for the help, now if I can figure out how to save my money ;)

Comment

parts to order now (in order from most stable - less likely to change over the next 6 months - to least):

case
                          os
                          DVD drives
                          keyboard / mouse
                          speakers / headphones
                          sound card
                          monitor
                          power supply
                          tv tuner card
                          heatsink / cooling (water?)
                          hard drives
                          ram? (depends on how fast you think you can get the other 3 major parts... ddr3 is expensive at higher frequencies, and they should come down by January)

this only leaves motherboard, cpu, and video card.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

The guys above gave you some great info, and buckets is right about crysis. There are $4000 computers that don't play crysis with everything maxed. And the game still isn't great no matter how high you have the eye candy. Yes, it is ok to play though, but doing it on HIGH is just as good.

And I actually bought my computer bit by bit over about 2 months, and kind of funny but pretty much in the order Dog posted above. I waited for each piece I wanted to go on sale, and saved overall about $300. My case was on sale for $20 off, plus it had free shipping, which saved $35. I waited till my ram had a good rebate going, and my monitor was on sale at bestbuy for like $50 off. Then my last order had the CPU, GPU, and Motherboard all in the same order, and I put it all together. I also used onboard sound for about a month till newegg had the sound card I wanted on sale for $50, down from like $90. It is hard for anyone to drop a couple grand all at once, and I don't use credit so I stay out of dept. But that deal with newegg with no interest is really good as long as you are sure you can pay it off in 6 months.

Another guy is building a killer rig right now, so be sure to follow this along:
                            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1083061

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well there isn't much left here but a few scraps to comment on, though that won't stop me :icon_lol:

Few things on Dogs list I would caution you on would be the Heatsink. With the new Intel socket coming out current heatsinks *might* not work, I can't confirm if they will have the same mount?

The ram, according to new info only DDR3 800 and 1066 will be supported (credit Bamboo for the info/link). Keep that in mind.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X