New PC, looking for help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC, looking for help

I am looking to put together a new system.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Intel Q9550 Quad Core 2.83GHz
    ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel MOB
    or EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel MOB
    OCZ DCh 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Nvidia SLI-Ready EPP Memory
    (4 x 1024MB) chips total
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W PSU
    BFTech Nivida GForce 8800GT OC w/512MB may add a second and go SLI

I am leaning more towards the EVGA MOB because it can do SLI and RAID on the SATA hard drives (I don't think the ASUS does RAID).

I would like to overclock, but have never done that before.
    Is one board easier to do that with?

Thanks
    Last edited by beaker424; 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM. Reason: added more items

Re: New PC, looking for help

That is a great start Beaker!

But most of us here prefer Intel chipsets to Nvidia. Just too many problems with them for not enough reward. Same story with SLI, just not enough of a bump to justify spending double on gfx. cards. Sure, some games see a 75% or so bump, but others see almost no bump at all. I would much rather spend about $200 now on a good gfx. card that would last 2 or so years, and then sell it and upgrade again. There are a ton of cards in the $175-$225 range that would be so much better than the 8800GT. With your setup listed above, the 8800GT would be a bottleneck to that great CPU. It would be just sitting around waiting.

consider a few things for your rig:

You have a drop dead amazing CPU listed (maybe too good for many), but went way way way overkill on the power supply, and a pretty low on the list gfx. card, when compared to the other recently released options. (ati 4850 and 4870, nvidia 9800GTX and 260, all of which can be found for $150- $235)

You could drop back on the PSU a bit and save some money to get a better gfx. card, and not have to worry about SLI.

Also, most of us here would recommend 4 gigs of ram, considering how cheap ram is right now. Really good high end stuff for with 4 gigs for like $80.

When were you planning to do this build? And what was your budget? That would give us a better chance to look at things.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hi Bamboo,

I will need to clear things up a bit.

I was originally looking at getting one of the new boards that takes DDR3 2000 memory, and overclocking it; and running SLI. That is why I went with the 1000Watt PSU.

Researching it a little more though, I have decided to stear away from the DDR3 for now. So, I could absolutely back down on the PSU, maybe go with a 650 watt.

The 8800GT is a card I already have, and was planning to re-use.

So, I think what I am hearing is, to stay away from the Nvidia chipset and do not run SLI.

What would be a good Intel chipset board to run with that CPU that offers RAID. That would be the X48 chipset, right?

And if I go with a new video card (I prefer Nvidia) what would you recommend?

My budget is right around $1400 and I was hoping to order within a week.

Thanks

Comment

I would suggest you hang on to the 8800gt until you find it lacking.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

ok, here is my new list.

Undecided on these two MOBs

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
          ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Q9550 Quad Core 2.83GHz
          4GB DDR2 1200 RAM
          Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
          CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 PSU
          GeForce GTX 280 1GB

That will break my budget of $1400 :( but I gotta do it

Comment

You don't really need DDR2 1200 that seems a bit expensive when DDR2 or even 1066 will do plenty fine, even at the speed your processor is at it will barely get over 800 (assuming 1:1)

you could get a NZXT Tempest and save $20

or get a 4870

as for mobo really the X48 offers only minimal extra features over the P45 so that would be my choice.

just me but I really don't think there is a need to spend 250 on a mobo when you can spend 150
            Last edited by Reaperassault; 09-05-2008, 12:12 AM.
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Reaper's right. And your $1,400 budget it more than enough. As reaper said the ram you picked isn't right for you unless you are going to do some crazy liquid or nitro overclocking. You would not notice a bit of difference going with a good high end kit of DDR2 800 or 1066. I would recommend this if you are going all out:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
              that is $109 after rebates, and I'm sure a heck of a lot cheaper than that you were looking at

The power supply you marked is a great one (I have that one actually :D) but there are others to choose from. If you are absolutly certain about getting at 280, might want to go one notch higher.

That brings me to the 280. Personally, and I think just about everyone here will sort of agree, you should never buy the top of the line gfx. card unless you have a money tree planted in your back yard. Prices on those cards drop so fast it is a waste of money. Most people will recommend you go one under top end, as you will get only about a 10-15% reduction in power but save a couple hundred $$. The 280 for instance started out at $550-$600, and within a month is down to less than $400. I would say go for either the 260, or even better would wait a couple weeks because the new 260+ version will be out very soon, as will the 4850X2 version, which will cost about the same but be way faster than the 260.
              The 4870 is also a very good option that you would be very happy with for a couple years as it is about equal to the 260 in most tests, and can be found for like $240.

There are a ton of gfx. cards to choose from, so if you need help picking a certain one, let us know and we can wade through a pick a few good ones out.

As far as the motherboard, the x48 vs x45 is up to you, but you need to take the time to do a side by side comparsion on newegg and read a lot of reviews to find which board has all the little features you want, like maybe e-SATA, a bunch of extra USB, etc. Both of the ones you mention above are very good, but very pricey boards. Make sure you arn't paying for features you will never use. A lot of the times the only real difference in the upper end boards you mention are little tiny things that only super tweaking overclockers need, while the average overclocker will never even notice but still get a good overclock.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Some great info so far.

I would highly recommend Corsair power supplies, I have the 620 currently and love it. However the 620 is right on the boarder, if you want to run two cards in the future it may be just shy of what you need?

I would strongly recommend 2x2gb of ram over 4x1gb.

Now I can't believe no one has asked but what is the native resolution for your monitor? Do you plan on upgrading your monitor to something larger in the near future? Assuming you game at 1680x1050 then the 280 would be a bit much, not a bad choice but simply a matter of value vs. performance needed. The 4870 is a really strong value currently but it is ATI. The new 260+ (note the + sign) will come with more shadders and should better the 4870 apparently but will cost a bit more. However I wouldn't rush to ditch your 8800GT just yet. I would ride it out for a little longer until this years new Q4 games are released, find the game you like and then buy a card that plays it well.

Your on the right track :)

Comment

Yes, I game at 1680x1050 on a Samsung 22" LCD.

I think I will go with the Corsair 2x2GB modules that Bamboo mentioned.

Right now, I do not plan on running two video cards, so I think I will stick with the Corsair 620 Watt. They have a 750 Watt, but it only has one rail.

I think I will get all my parts less the video card and see how they work with the 8800GT.

Then maybe go for a GTX 260 or GTX 260+ in a few months.

I am going to go with the ASUS Maximus II Formula based on the eSATA port.

I'll probably order the stuff up tonight.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll post again when I am ready to look at the video.

Comment

Just make sure you check online for power usage. The newer cards especially ATI can use over 250W of power at peak.

Power Consumption Chart:
                    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,1964-15.html

Temperature chart:
                    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,1964-17.html

Comment

Just be aware that using those power usage estimators are just that, a quick estimate. I have used about 6 different ones, and they all gave me very different guesses. I have been told anywhere from 400watts to 900watts for my rig. I don't trust them at all.

Also, about the 1 rail thing with Corsair. Lot of sites are saying that the 1 rail thing is a myth. In reality it is all about quality. Be aware that the 620 is a different line than the 750watt. I had a really good review bookmarked that I can't find right now that did some hard testing on the 620 watt, and it stayed rock solid with full load at the rated watts. The site even said something like if Corsair had done most companies do they could have rated it at 700watts and still been honest. It got like a 9.5 out of 10, one of their best PSU's ever.

But that is as high as that line goes, and the 750 and 650 are a different line. They also get good reviews, but don't have some things like mod. cables, etc.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have been checking up on the power requiremetns for the new GTX 200 cards. They are outrageous.

If I decide to go with one of those cards later on, I just may be at the limit of my PSU. I plan to try and overclock my Q9450 in the ASUS Masimus II Formula board, plus run 5 HDD, 2 DVDs, and 3 120mm case fans.

I think I will go water the money tree in the backyard and go with the Corsair 1000HX :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X