X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of good deals at Frys.com

Thought I would pass these on real quick for those interested:

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Case $70 has free shipping too

eVGA 9800GX2 1GB PCI-Express Video Card $206 After $100 MIR, eVGA 8800GT 512MB PCI-Express Video Card $96 After $50 MIR

I can't believe they 9800GX2 is down to $200. Thats just crazy.
    And I know a few people here are looking at the Antec900

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Couple of good deals at Frys.com

I've been watching the prices of the 8800GT for a while now but sub $100 is a killer. I was going to hold off until Xmas for one of the new ATI 4870's or 4850's but I'm a sucker for a good deal so I just ordered it up. Thanks for the tip Bamboo.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

the Antec 900 is a great case..seems bombproof, but is weird having the PSU at the bottom..but it comes with LONG stuff so things can reach with no problems..

Comment

I have been REALLY trying to hold off on getting a new/different case, but I just keep getting pulled further and further along the path to one. I have been a big fan of having more compact and smaller cases for a variety of reasons. Mostly because I don't need 4 drive bays... :D

http://shop4.frys.com/product/527118...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG that is what I currently house my system in.

I don't really care for having clear acrylic, and in the case of this... case... it causes the outer shell to be flimsy and on the whole the chassis itself is somewhat flimsy and doesn't do much to muffle sound. However the single 120mm exhaust fan and the fact that the PSU fan draws air up from the expansion slots and exhausts them, is a huge thing that really cuts down on noise and heat. Another caveat of the case structure, is that you can't put a much larger-than-stock CPU fan and heatsink in. Meaning you can't use a larger (and arguably quieter) fan/heatsink setup. The drives sit in their own chassis perpendicular to the ground on the side of the case, which is only good for a two disk configuration. Though I have looked and it seems to me it can be modified to accept four 2.5" drives for a RAID 10 setup.

In the same token, my system (now my DVR) was/is housed in this case: http://shop4.frys.com/product/550589...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG it's much quieter and a bit smaller, but the thermals are bad if you run too much stuff (pulls heat through the PSU exhaust fan, but the intakes are very small and there's no other exhaust vent), and there's not much room to work around in, plus the PSU is only rated at 300W (375 for the up-model). It does a fairly good job as it runs Cool'N'Quiet and only has to vent a 2.2GHz AMD X2, an 8600GTS, and a single 500GB drive but my current system would overload it, and the HD 4850 card would never fit.

I guess I should just leave the tiny cases to use in simple things like the DVR and backup, and have a mini-tower for the desktop and gaming system. Hell I may even replace the DVR case with something of a different style, like the home-theater style, because it'll more easily fit in an entertainment center and the thermals MAY be better plus more room for things. I just don't like having the 65mm fans they typically come with as they run louder. I'd like to get an external 7" display on it too, though really, I am trying to move away from that because that's what the OSD is for.

Lastly, I don't know if a liquid cooling solution is ever in my future. It just somehow seems overkill-like, and I can't really swallow spending $150 for cooling despite it's near-sile nce. But I can't fit liquid cooling in either of these cases.

Decisions decisions... but I'll probably just "deal" with my existing setup, because in the near future I may need the portability.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          And I know a few people here are looking at the Antec900
          thats what i have and am very happy with it :)

Comment

sold out
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

I have been VERY happy with the Antec 900. The air-flow is outstanding and very adjustable. I got mine last Dec for $99 which was a steal at the time so for $70 you cannot go wrong. Lots of accessories to set it up different ways. At first you think you have all this space and by the time you get everything in with aftermarket CPU cooler like a big Zalman and you run sound and go 2X video it is just enough to keep cables clean and keep the airflow running smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                I have been VERY happy with the Antec 900. The air-flow is outstanding and very adjustable. I got mine last Dec for $99 which was a steal at the time so for $70 you cannot go wrong. Lots of accessories to set it up different ways. At first you think you have all this space and by the time you get everything in with aftermarket CPU cooler like a big Zalman and you run sound and go 2X video it is just enough to keep cables clean and keep the airflow running smooth.
                I wonder about the venting in the front and side, though... with all of that open space isn't nose an issue?

I understand by physics and design, 120mm (and 200mm...) fans are VERY quiet, and can be adjusted (a reason for that 2.5" manual fan adjustment panel I was eyeing...) It's just that with wide-open space and lack of thicker materials (I'm assuming), what noise that IS in the case, has an easier way of leaking itself out...

I'm also not entirely sure about the top vent... won't work very well if it's in a computer hutch...

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                  I wonder about the venting in the front and side, though... with all of that open space isn't nose an issue?

I understand by physics and design, 120mm (and 200mm...) fans are VERY quiet, and can be adjusted (a reason for that 2.5" manual fan adjustment panel I was eyeing...) It's just that with wide-open space and lack of thicker materials (I'm assuming), what noise that IS in the case, has an easier way of leaking itself out...

I'm also not entirely sure about the top vent... won't work very well if it's in a computer hutch...
                  Do you mean the 2 fans on front as wide open space or the clear panel left side or both? With all fans running high, this is not quiet by any means, but running low, I would not consider it noisy. They give you extra rubber lined inserts for the front panel in case you only want to use one front fan. Both front fans are pulling air in so it they are not noisy. Exhaust runs mostly out the back with a little through the top.

The left side is some kind of plastic or plexi-glass. There is an open circle vent for a fan if you choose to add one or you can close it. As for the top fan, it works fine on low and just pushes rising heat out the top quietly. Even if you have have a little clearance the airflow is good although personally, I would never put a gaming computer in a hutch or any confined area that would restrict air flow or cooling.

Comment

I see. So there is an insert for the front, but is there explicitly an insert for the side and/or top?

I currently have my PC sitting in a rolling computer desk I won't be taking with me when I move back to Detroit, so when I arrive home I'll be looking at more open and clean-looking computer desks than the POS I have now... metal and glass... I really like the metal and glass. The current setup the back support wood that's parallel to the ground, doesn't clear the last 2" of the top of the case so some of the exhaust air gets pushes against that wood on the back of the desk. Design flaw...

Other than that, the computer is situated in such a way that there's one-way airflow from front to back with minimal clearance on the sides; the existing case has side intakes but very small slats that are only on the front of the case.

Once upon a time I had a full-tower case (what possessed me...?) with an AMD Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird (and then a 1.4GHz 1700+) ... and with the way that CPU case was so open in the front and back, you could clearly hear the jet engine that was the CPU fan... I am just loathe to get another case as large as the mini-tower I had because I don't like the real-estate it takes up I suppose. Hell I had to bring my box in to work a couple of times to get some stuff done on it, and I thought it was quiet... well... it KIND of is... except in my quiet office it had a definite "SWISH' noise compared to the low-speed office-designed cooling in the Lenovo and Dell desktops we use.

Though I guess that's just the tradeoff you make. About 1.5-2.5 years back I didn't play any PC games whatsoever, so I even had a P4 with a Shuttle case at one point (talk about a shoebox PC...) so I never needed the components or the power. Now that I play games again, and I use my PC for everything under the sun more than ever, I guess I really have outgrown the "small case". I find myself wanting for just ONE more PCI slot due to the ATi card being one-slot, but really taking up two, and really not being a good idea to put anything in the PCI slot next to it barring the slot exhaust fan that's there.

Eventually I'll be picking up an MSI Wind for school, and hooked up to my LCD for just general easy surfing and light duty with fast access... so I won't have to turn the rig on so often.

Comment

I ended up buying the Coolermaster GLite 331. I took a look at the Antec 900, then the 300, then looked at the 900 long and hard before deciding it was too large of a case.

The case I bought is somewhat smaller, not as small as I'd like but the smaller cases had fewer expansion bays. This one utilizes 120mm fans as well. Funny enough, it's quieter than my old case and keeps everything cooler. The 3.5" panel with eSATA, USB, and card reader is a $15 expansion I had from before. The panel below it is what comes with the case. I didn't get the optional Firewire, but this board doesn't have onboard 1394 (the DVR does) so I'll just use that if I need to. The blue in front is a carryover blue LED 120mm fan from my old case

Comment

Damn, missed another one, I just paid $139 for my Antec 900.

It is a good case, with super cooling, but it is very, very tight on space inside if you are putting in a full size ATX board.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker424
                          It is a good case, with super cooling, but it is very, very tight on space inside if you are putting in a full size ATX board.
                          Most ATX cases will become cramped once you decide to put in a full-size ATX motherboard. If you want room, you'd better look for a SOHO-like case (or a server case).

Spulat,

I was going to point you to one of my posts in another thread where I went into some detail about the P180/P180B, Twelve Hundred, and the Nine Hundred cases.

Other than the P180 series, the other Antec towers aren't made to keep noise inside the case. If you get a fan controller, most 120mm fans will spin up and cause just about as much noise as a 80mm on medium.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

p182 *cough cough* ;)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I used to have a full tower. never again :)

Especially when nowadays you can find a full-features board in mini-atx.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X