Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for your brits about internet in the U.K.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for your brits about internet in the U.K.

I've just moved into a flat that Virgin doesn't provide internet access to via cable (in Brighton I believe Virgin is the only one providing via cable). It doesn't have a BT phone line either. What's my best option for internet access?

I've been looking at these wireless cards from Vodaphone/Orange/T-Mobile, but I don't like download limits, especially not 3GB ones. Any ideas or am I screwed?
    [volun]

Re: Question for your brits about internet in the U.K.

I don't think any of the British TGers look into the Hardware and Software section much.

Let me see if I can point Silver to this thread. He might be able to answer your questions since he lives in the U.K. as well. I'll also ask some other British online friends I know as well.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey man, first of all Hello :)

I use Virgin's cable for my ISP too and it's second to none. I suggest that you avoid wireless at all costs, it's so inconsistent that you will get horrendous lagspikes and choke (crappy internet consistency will mean gaming is hell).

Can you live with an ADSL line, does anyone near you supply ADSL?

I would suggest, if you haven't already, calling Virgin Media and asking them to provide cable in your area, tell them that you're fond of their unique service and that you would really appreciate them letting you become a customer ;)

In my experience these guys are pretty easy to persuade, I got 17 knocked off of my monthly bill just by ringing them up and mentioning to them that a package deal they were offering included everything I had and was cheaper.

Good luck mate, I will subscribe to this thread so that I can reply if you need me to.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

try you postcode here to find out about adsl / cable / satellite at your house
        The above website does not cover the mobile phone modems, which offers a good service, but not a service that is tailored at all to gaming, ie caps & lap spikes

otherwise out of the house, central Brighton and the beach area is a wireless hot spot area for public use

in the end you may have to get an old fashioned BT line installed but not make calls on it, just so you can have an adsl ISP

Comment

You could also look for unencrypted wireless networks. But we'll pretend I didn't suggest that.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Make sure you have a software firewall installed if you decide to use 1er's last time. Most of those networks have bugs zipping this way and that as if it was Virusland.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sound advice there, Acreo.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Out of curiosity...

Is cable and fiber connections very common in the UK now? And is DSL too "slow" for most users in the UK?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Mostly fibre-optic now, yes.

DSL is too intermittent with the bandwidth and you don't get what you're paying for if you're further than 2 metres away from the server.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X