Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? <Critical Error> ::shakes fists at mircosoft:

*ahem*
    .. For quite a while, my computer has stop whatever its doing, screen turns black, and then.. it restarts
    when i log on i get a pop up that says, your computer has recovered from a critical error, or something like that
    Now im saying to myself, crap.. but then it has recovered.. so yay!
    But a couple weeks ago it did this a couple times, then it stopped and just now it did it again.
    It doesn't do this while im playing a game, just listening to music, surfing the web, or chatting on IM.
    Specs:
    XP home
    AMD Duron 1.2
    256 Ram
    Radeon 9600 128 mb

Should just forget about this and continue with w/e
    or is there something that can be done to stop these errors?
    Thanks
    jackel~

Random restarts most likely have a cause. The last time I saw them was due to the 3.7 Catalyst drivers, but XP was actually claiming an issue with them. If XP isn't pointing to a specific cause then it's going to be difficult to track down.

What's your power supply, if I may ask?

Comment

Well i think i have 3.9 catalyst drivers
      and..my power suppy, i really don't know
      it came with it, and i think the only way for me to read whay it is, is to take it out.. :\

Comment

Take it out.... should be easy.

Comment

Could be a overheating problem, your system gets to a certain temp. then closes down to save your hardware from frying.

Comment

The majority of cases come with 300W power supplies. I know my Radeon 9500 pro specifically asks for a 350W just to insure there are no power shortfalls in the system. I'd guess the 9600 has a similar power requirement. This means that if the power coming to your system drops slightly, your machine is likely to reboot.

You can imagine the entertainment when out of the 5 computers in my house, my machine was the only one rebooting during the sometimes frequent brownouts.....

Comment

"offical" 3.9 cats arnt out yet...
              From Adam Webb

Comment

"offical" 3.9 cats arnt out yet...
                lol, i've got he bootlegged junk :P
                .. i have something between 3.8- the unofffical 3.9
                anyways, i'm pretty sure the power supply is 350 or higher
                i don't remember what exactly but its pretty big
                Once i have a chance, i'll open the machine up and have a look

Comment

yeah i think i have the "something" between 3.8 and 3.9 too ;)
                  From Adam Webb

Comment

every random boot problem i have ever encountered was due to a bad Power Supply. if you have an extra, or know someone willing to let you borrow theirs, might be worth a try.
                    flux
                    [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by [gc]flux
                      every random boot problem i have ever encountered was due to a bad Power Supply. if you have an extra, or know someone willing to let you borrow theirs, might be worth a try.
                      Yep, although there are other things that can cause unexpected reboots... Haven't had any in XP, though... I would think that it would definitely be a hardware problem. Just to be safe, I'd run a thorough virus and spyware scan.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

well, i think one of the little fans in the back burnt out
                        1 of a total of.... 5
                        i'll try and get another fan, and run some check ups
                        thanks
                        jackel~

Comment

Does windows make a log of what happened?
                          i mean, if there was a file that said what happened, i could figure out whats the problem.
                          is that possible?

Comment

event viewer, in admin tools...
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by jackel
                              well, i think one of the little fans in the back burnt out
                              1 of a total of.... 5
                              i'll try and get another fan, and run some check ups
                              thanks
                              jackel~
                              This is probably your problem. 5 fans???

I have 6 but i have a bigger system. I had to upgrade my 350 watt power supply becuase of random graphic blackouts.

Power supplies can be theoreticly be engineered to give out a possible 350 watt peak with less amps(which is what your comp needs) If you check the amp ratings at different (volt)levels of a good quality and a bad quality PS you will see a good difference.

Then there are other PS that dont do that. This is the reason why one PS is 120 and another is 60 for the same watt rating.(YAY i learned atleast one thing in school) Quality on PS of premade machines are usually poor. Plus you PS does take beating after a while and cannot produce the needed power that your computer needs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X