Bootable benchmark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootable benchmark

My boss is highly disappointed in his Dell T7400 running XP64 in 16 GB of memory. He reports that it's slower than his laptop.

To confirm this, I'd like to run some benchmarks. And I'd like to eliminate the OS as an issue by running benchmarks from a live CD.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'd also be interested in knowing of any good benchmarks that I can run from XP64 and XP32 Pro to compare his machine to mine.

Principal use of the machine is for CAD work, mostly using 64-bit SolidWorks.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Bootable benchmark

Sometimes you might be able to tell which system might be faster (or slower) by looking at the hardware specs of the two machines being compared. Additional info could be helpful too, like HDD RPM, RAM timings, etc.

Do you know the specs of the machine and your boss's laptop?

As for a boot time benchmark, I don't know of any that exist for Windows-based PCs. I know some avid Mac users who have boot time benchmark tools and I've heard that Linux users can often write a program to measure the amount of time it takes to boot up from a cold start.

I just tried a search through Google and didn't turn up anything helpful for "boot time benchmark tools" or "PC startup benchmarks".

Maybe some of the other guys here knows of such a tool/tools?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

not quite sure you understood that I believe monkey is looking for benchmarks that would run independent of the OS of the machine and test the hardware only.

I am of no help with this, I'm not even sure that there is such a thing to run
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

He's asking for a benchmark that would be able to measure a machine's loadup time from the minute your press the "power" button on the case to when it has fully loaded into Windows.

I just don't know of such a tool for Windows-based machines. I've never been able to find one myself. What most review sites do when they measure sometime like this is sit there with a watch/timer and see how long each machine takes.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          He's asking for a benchmark that would be able to measure a machine's loadup time from the minute your press the "power" button on the case to when it has fully loaded into Windows.
          Not so. I'm looking for a benchmark that boots, not a benchmark of booting.

The best I've found so far is the Ultimate Boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Oh, misunderstood you.

You probably won't find a better collection of benchmarks than the one you found (Ultimate Boot CD).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As a good benchmark, I would try this:
              x264 HD Benchmark

SiSoftware Sandra

PCMark®05

Actually, I think it would be cool for everyone here to run those. I would like to see some other people's scores from PCMark.
              http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmark05/
              I got it really quick from MajorGeeks site.

Also, with the x264 benchmark, there is a huge list of other processors and set ups so you can compare yours/ your boss and see if there is a difference.
              Last edited by Bamboo; 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X