been out of the new comp loop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been out of the new comp loop

Hey guys. I was at work and came across your forums on my lunch break. I decided to make a quick post and get some feed back about a new computer I want to throw together. I have a Dell XPS that I am going to take some components out of. These components are a E6600 CPU, 4gigs mem, and a 8800 GTX 768meg video card I am going to salvage from my current computer. I am going to add these three components to a new setup which I am listing below. I am a advid CS:S and Lineage2 player. I started trying CoD 4 lately as well, so keep this in mind when rating what I am putting together:

E6600 CPU
    BFG 8800 GTX 768
    4gigs Mem
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V PSU
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
    LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE Combo
    ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC Case

I know that the CPU is still a good all around CPU. I will keep my current E6600 unless I can find a amazing CPU thats better than what I have for a reasonable price around $200 or less. Any recommendations?

Re: been out of the new comp loop

Ditch the Zalman CPU cooler. They look neat but they are expensive and don't cool very well. Grab a better cooler (I reccommend the Xigmatek HDT-1283 but some on here swear by the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.) Both cost less and outperform the Zalman by a wide margin. Otherwise, without knowing the specs of your RAM, it lookms like a pretty nice setup. The Zalman cooler isn't bad but it is outperformed by parts that cost a good deal less. You should have some nice overclocking head room on that CPU.
    sigpic

Comment

Just a few quick thoughts:

The Maximus is a bit of overkill. Really, the only reason to get it is if you want to do some extremely hard core overclocking. You can still do great overclocking with a lower model, and without having extra confusing bloat in the BIOS.

Change the ROM drive to a SATA drive instead of an IDE. It will be so much easier to deal with and you wont have fat gray ribbon cables to deal with.

Just as a suggestion, but you are about to buy one of the fastest, but also most expensive HD there is. It is sweet, but might consider the fact that prices on Solid State Drives are dropping fast and speeds are going up. Within a year you will be able to buy a drive that is faster and cheaper than the Raptor. So you might want to consider reusing your old drive, or just going with a good normal WD or Seagate drive to tide you over. I admit I do have a 74gig raptor drive, but I bought it about 2 years ago, while SSD were still just a dream.

As said above, consider your options with the CPU cooler, but regardless make sure you order some of this:
      OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

And also as said above, you didn't mention what RAM you have. Make sure it is at least DDR2-800 speed.

But in reality, not sure why you want to do this upgrade. Really, in the games you play none of this is going to give you extra FPS at all, since you are keeping your core components. You would be SO much better off saving your money now and in Nov. or Dec. going with a new setup with an intel nehalem.

Intel Nehalem (microarchitecture)

What you need to know about Intel's Nehalem CPU

The low end of that CPU would blow yours away, and is supposed to be about $350 or so when it first comes out.

The Nehalem Preview: Intel Does It Again

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Dang, I don't know what to do now. My wife wants my box. That means I need to consider a new video card, memory, and a CPU. I am very interested in the Nehalem series!!! Does anyone have a better release date on the 2.66ghz Nehalem processor? Those notes Bamboo listed said November 2008, but you know how things can get pushed back.

I was thinking dual SLI 9800 GT's setup because it seems affordable. I see these new GeForce 260's and 280's out but don't know enough about them and their prices to really jump on board with them.

I honestly don't know jack about memory as well as I should anymore. I just remember the last time I built a system, Corsair was the best you could buy. Any recommendations on this?

Some people are telling me the Maximus is overkill. I like really good mobos and thats important to me for stability reasons. If I were to go ahead and get a new mobo and CPU, I need some recommendations on what to get thats better than what I have now and whats affordable. I could use a new setup until the Nehalem series comes out. Once the Nehalem series comes out I can just throw these stuff I am buying now into my wifes computer.

Comment

Would like to know a few things before making any recommendations. What is you price point or max amount of cash to spend? You have alot of very nice equipment in there with some substandard parts that might bottleneck the newer components.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Is your wife a gamer? And not just a casual gamer but a hard core DirectX needing gamer? Not trying to be mean or anything like that, but even if she is just a casual gamer you could put together a good cheap box with more than enough to let her do everything for less than the price of the upgrade you detailed above.

And NO to the 9800GT SLI. Horrible waste of money. The 9800GT is just a rebranded card with a new sticker, pretty much. Right now you would be so much better off going with an Nvidia 260 or ATI 4870 (either would be a bit of a step up from your 8800GTX). And besides, you couldn't run a SLI setup on the board you posted above, as it is Crossfire only. Another good thing about Nehelam is it will allow both SLI and Crossfire on the same board if the board maker wants to spend the money to get it approved by Nvidia. Which I am sure many will.

As for the release date, there have been a lot of engenieering samples floating around for a while now, and the date has actually been pulled in from an 2009 release, so I'm thinking Intel is pretty sure it is a go. There will of course be a feeding frenzy at first, because they are really looking awesome, but prices should start to level out in Dec. with people trying to get them sold for Christmas.

Let us know if you would want to go the keep your own box till Nehelam and hook your wife up with an adequate case for her needs route. Nov/Dec really isn't that far off when you think about it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Pretty much I was going to hand my current box to my wife and just take my 8800 GTX out of it and put it in my new computer I was going to build. My wife is not a gamer, but I use her computer sometimes to box other characters for lineage2. I am not worried about her. I did not know that the mobo I was choosing was just CrossFire only, see I am out of the loop over the past 2 years. I think my main goal right now is to figure out what type of memory the new Intel processors require, buying a psu, making sure I get a case that can fit 2 vidoe cards for SLI, and finding a good combo drive for dvd and cd burning and making sure that drive will allow me to play audio cds through it.

Comment

If you're willing to throw down the money on a Formulas Maximus, you could just get a faster dual-core for your new rig and leave the E6600 to your wife.

I'd throw money into new RAM as well and a lower end video card to replace your salvaged 8800GTX.

Dellsup, Like Bam said, SLI/Crossfire isn't worth it. You're spending double the money on two cards for about 10-20 fps more in some games.

Do you play anything else other than CS:S, CoD4, and Lineage 2? Any plans on playing some upcoming titles, like Starcraft 2, Far Cry 2, CoD5, Crysis: Warhead?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  else other than CS:S, CoD4, and Lineage 2? Any plans on playing some upcoming titles, like Starcraft 2, Far Cry 2, CoD5, Crysis: Warhead?
                  I have plans for all

Comment

I'd suggest going for a single card solution. Something like a 4850, 4870, or a 8800GT/GTS/GTX. They'll be able to handle all of those games with ease at 1280 x 1024 and beyond.

Most of the cards you can get online for about $150 to $250. It's a lot better than spending $500 on two cards only to get 10 fps more in a few of the games running on a resolution like 1920 x 1400.

You could save the extra money or spend it on a nice sound card, headphones, etc.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

actually, dell, you never did mention what size your monitor is and what rez you play at?

And to catch up on the newest CPUs, check out the e8400. It is an amazing chip for the money, and is quite a bit faster than your e6600.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                        actually, dell, you never did mention what size your monitor is and what rez you play at?

And to catch up on the newest CPUs, check out the e8400. It is an amazing chip for the money, and is quite a bit faster than your e6600.
                        I use a 19 inch flatscreen CRT Viewsonic monitor and play most my games in 1024x768. I play CoD in 1600x1200 because the graphics are just cool looking. I like using ReForce to unlock that winXP 60hz default bullcrap. It allows me to obtain a higher hertz that my monitor supports for a more fluid and smoother picture. It helps greatly in the FPS games I play. I refuse to use a LCD screen. I have tried 3 different times converting to a LCD monitor and I just can't get used to it! Hrmmmz, the e8400 you say? I will take a look at it on newegg.com and read some reviews.

Comment

I'm using a E8400 (look at my sig). I don't have a lower dual-core to compare it to other than my old Pentium D machine. I feel it's faster and some games don't have the momentary lag during loading.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Can't get used to LCD? Ouch. Were you trying good ones?

I still fondly remember the day I brought home my 22" LCD, and almost sprained my back taking the 21" Dell CRT off my desk. The very first day I realized how much cooler the entire room was, as the CRT gave off a ton of heat.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              Can't get used to LCD? Ouch. Were you trying good ones?

I still fondly remember the day I brought home my 22" LCD, and almost sprained my back taking the 21" Dell CRT off my desk. The very first day I realized how much cooler the entire room was, as the CRT gave off a ton of heat.
                              Hehe, my CRT doesn't do that lol. I don't have to carry my monitor around at all so I don't have to worry about the weight lol! I dislike LCD's for gaming for a couple reasons. I feel that CRT's will always be sharper image wise, with LCD's dark areas look washed out, and the LCD's I have tried won't let me use a program like ReForce to get a 100hz rate in 1024x768 for my games. I have tried 2 LCD's from Dell and 1 from Samsung. All had low ms response times and were highly rated monitors.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X