Crackling sound.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackling sound.

I'm having a problem with my computer that is causing sound to become crackily regardless of what I'm doing. It happens when I boot up with the familiar windows sound, boot down (occasionally it won't happen during these two things, but usually). It happens when I use winamp, foobar, anything involving sound. The entire parts of the sound aren't broken up, but it seems as if theres a problem with buffering... yet adjusting the buffer in whichever audio application I'm using as well as in windows sound control does nothing to solve it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers.. even video drivers, to see if that had anything to do with it, but no luck. I know that its simply software related because everything works fine when I boot into zenwalk (slackware based distro) on the same computer.

Chip: AC'97.
    Mobo: ECS 761GX-M754
    Annoyance: severe

Re: Crackling sound.

have you tried a different set of speakers or headphones to eliminate them from the equation?
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
      have you tried a different set of speakers or headphones to eliminate them from the equation?
      yes, of course. has nothing to do with hardware. apparently the problem resides around a driver called portcls.sys

Whenever I uninstall and then reinstall the realtek drivers, I get a BSOD that is caused by that. However, I've pretty much given up trying to fix this. Does anyone know how I can backup my bf2/2142/pr/POE installations and restore them without having to go through the redownload/reinstalls?

Comment

What OS are you using? Which (onboard?) audio chipset does your mobo have?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          What OS are you using? Which (onboard?) audio chipset does your mobo have?
          Both of those items are listed in the OP.

Comment

ac97 is not a chipset

what is the "brand" on the driver? (mine is sigmatel)
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Realtek.

Comment

I have had an issue with that same sound device and new cd drives causing interference. When I mute them it goes away. I also have issues with the device in LOTRO, It crackles when I have it set to hardware. if I put it on software it's fine. I don't like the AC97. Will not use another one once I upgrade the one I have.

Comment

Am I to understand that there is no soundcard? This is with the onboard sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Shottglass628 View Post
                    Am I to understand that there is no soundcard? This is with the onboard sound?
                    Yes, and that is absolutely the problem: expecting decent sound from substandard hardware.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Yes, and that is absolutely the problem: expecting decent sound from substandard hardware.
                      Heh, my onboard HD audio chipset is on par with my old Audigy 1. That's not bad.

Mentho

I see you're using Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs. May I ask the reasons you're using that particular version of Windows XP (other than the supposed performance increase)?

Have you ever had a full install of Windows XP on that machine? If you have, have you had a problem with the audio chipset?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Heh, my onboard HD audio chipset is on par with my old Audigy 1. That's not bad.
                        Perhaps mainboards have seen the light, but I somehow doubt that your onboard audio has an actual FET anywhere in its circuit. They're just too expensive and onboard sound is supposed to be a cheap way to get people mediocre audio. "Audiophiles" are going to put a sound card in anyway, so why try to make 'good' onboard sound?
                        Last edited by CingularDuality; 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Cingular Duality
                          Perhaps mainboards have seen the light, but I somehow doubt that your onboard audio has an actual FET anywhere in its circuit. They're just too expensive and onboard sound is supposed to be a cheap way to get people mediocre audio. "Audiophiles" are going to put a sound card in anyway, so why try to make 'good' onboard sound?
                          I don't know if it would have a FET or not, since the audio chipset was specially made for ASUS by Realtek.

I would love to have really high quality sound coming out of my system, but most of my music is in MP3 format not uncompressed WAV. In addition, the best pair of headphones I have is a Sennheisser HD210 (lowest end circumaural). My $50 Logitech 5.1 speaker set isn't going to give me great sound either, more overbearing bass is more like (sometimes).

So unless I change a few things, my onboard audio is pretty nice since I haven't experienced anything nicer than some high-end Senns and a few pairs of Bose and Sonys.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X