installing bf2/poe/pr/2142 without reinstalling/downloading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing bf2/poe/pr/2142 without reinstalling/downloading

I have to reinstall windows. How can I save some time by not reinstalling/redownloading everything? How do I back it all up and move it back? I've got a 750gb hd so its moving the folders around isn't a problem.. but what else needs to be done?

Re: installing bf2/poe/pr/2142 without reinstalling/downloading

Don't install everything on your windows drive. Install your apps and games in a separate logical drive. I have 2 extra drives. One for games one for apps. that way i can redo windows all i want and not have to worry about the games and programs ive updated.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I just copy out all of the folders I want, out of Program Files. Then with the new install of Windows, I copy them all back then run the installation file for each of them. Typically the installation will go very quickly as all it's doing is restoring registry entries and file associations and skipping a lot of file writes because the target file already exists and it's newer or exactly the same as the installation file.

This doesn't always work, and it's a hackney way. But it's the best way I know and it works for me.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        I just copy out all of the folders I want, out of Program Files. Then with the new install of Windows, I copy them all back then run the installation file for each of them. Typically the installation will go very quickly as all it's doing is restoring registry entries and file associations and skipping a lot of file writes because the target file already exists and it's newer or exactly the same as the installation file.

This doesn't always work, and it's a hackney way. But it's the best way I know and it works for me.

Interesting! I didn't think of that, I'll try it. That is if I can't get this blasted ac'97 to work.

Comment

Why don't you just backup your Profiles folder? That's all you really need. Then when you reinstall your games, just move that profiles folder back over, and it'll be just like it was before.

Comment

I put all my games on a separate drive. I'm pretty sure after a new OS install BF2 and 2142 required a reinstall because of the cd-key. Any settings saved in the registry won't be saved but you can try backing up the relevant registry settings. Other games may work though. I remember Raven Shield not having a problem because it can prompt in game for the cd-key.

Give it a shot though so your settings are saved.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
              Why don't you just backup your Profiles folder? That's all you really need. Then when you reinstall your games, just move that profiles folder back over, and it'll be just like it was before.
              I forgot about that, nice catch!

If you have XP, do the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (in addition to moving Program Files)

or do the Windows Easy Transfer, with Vista
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Well guys, I reinstalled. I backed up my entire EA GAMES and electronic arts folders (and wow) and copied them back. I have yet to restore the registry entries though.. and yet to see if it'll run at all. I need to get a pci sound card tomorrow, because even reinstalling hasn't fixed my problem. (yet, its still not hardware related because zenwalk runs fine)

thankfully I do have the PR and 2142/2 patches on my hd.. so if need be i can reinstall it from scratch.. I just hope i dont have to.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X