Check your network router firmware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your network router firmware

I've been running a Netgear WGT624v3 for about 2 years(?) now and we started developing issues with the network dropping out, sometimes every 15 minutes for hours! I was getting all kinds of pissed because I couldn't figure out what was going on. Everytime I log into my router's settings page, it automatically checks the Netgear site for firmware updates, and reports back that there are no new updates. So like a fool I took it's word for it.

Well, I hit the Netgear support site, and just happened to think to look at the downloads page. My router was SEVEN firmware updates behind!! So I manually downloaded and installed them last Friday afternoon and our network has not gone down ONCE since.

Just thought I'd pass on the tip
    |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Re: Check your network router firmware

I recently fixed a problem with my router similar to this. I had been having problems with Steam games off and on for the past year or so and could not for the life of me figure out what the deal was b/c all other games worked fine. I have an older Linksys wired router and found that the current version of firmware has problems with Steam and that simply installing the previous version fixes it.

Comment

I had a similar situation happen with the D-Link router I used to use. Starting 2142 (or most any game for that matter) would kick most if not all wireless clients off. Ran a firmware update, and the issue went away.

Then I bought a newer CISCO branded Linksys and everything has been fine ;)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

It's nice that they still release firmware upgrades for your product.

My Linksys stopped receiving firmware upgrades a year after it debuted. On top of that, a friend has told me that Linksys declared EoL on my router last year.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          It's nice that they still release firmware upgrades for your product.

My Linksys stopped receiving firmware upgrades a year after it debuted. On top of that, a friend has told me that Linksys declared EoL on my router last year.
          If it's a WRT54G, or one of a couple of others, you can always DDWRT or Tomato it.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
            If it's a WRT54G, or one of a couple of others, you can always DDWRT or Tomato it.
            Only if it's one of the older pre-VxWorks WRT54G's, or a GL. The newer ones don't have enough memory for a Linux flash. (Or has this changed? Has someone figured out how to put a skinny Linux image on the newer G's?)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Only if it's one of the older pre-VxWorks WRT54G's, or a GL. The newer ones don't have enough memory for a Linux flash. (Or has this changed? Has someone figured out how to put a skinny Linux image on the newer G's?)
              Oh, so yours is old but still new enough to be a VxWorks version?

Comment

A list of versions of the WRT54G:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

Apparently some of the 3rd party firmware has been slimmed down so that it can be used with the newer small-memory versions.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have an older network everwhere NR041 that I thought had crapped out on me, gone Tango Uniform, bit the farm, threw in the towel, etc... Turns out, during a phone call with tech support, that it just needed a firmware update. Now it works right as rain.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    True, but haven't tried it. Still afraid I'm going to brick the thing.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

True, but haven't tried it. Still afraid I'm going to brick the thing.
                      You need a new router anyway :D If it bricks, buy a new one, then KILL THE OLD ONE WITH FIRE!

Comment

I don't have a tree in the backyard with $100 dollar bills growing on it. :p

Besides, I've only had this one for about 18 months. I'm not about to consider replacing it unless the wireless N standard gets finalized.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't have a tree in the backyard with $100 dollar bills growing on it. :p

Besides, I've only had this one for about 18 months. I'm not about to consider replacing it unless the wireless N standard gets finalized.
                          You can get a new G router with current rebates, for $40. Barring that, I understand and agree with both of your latter points :)

Comment

Yeah, prices don't drop as quickly on wireless routers and such. I paid about $50 after rebate for my WRT54GL. It's a 54 mbps G/A/B router. I get pretty good range that covers roughly 80% of the whole house and manages to permeate the floor above and into the basement below.

I do have my eye on one of the nice black Linksys Draft-N routers now. Supposedly the QoS filter on the firmware OS is better than my 54GL and it does seem a bit smaller without the 2 antennaes I have sticking up out of the back. Faster throughput speeds, better range, and some optimizations for gaming.

The only cripe I have with it is the draft N. If IEEE finalized the N standard and Linksys produces a router like their current Draft N lineup, I'll look into replacing this one. I could always use longer range on my wireless seeing how a wireless laptop barely gets 10% signal strength to my current router upstairs in the front and in the back.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X