VMware problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware problem

i am trying to run "VMware Server" on my vista x64 machine. i have not been successful because it defaults to a remote host and not a local host. i can get this to work on XP pro, but i am not installing an OS just for one program. i was wondering if anyone has been able to run VMware Server from a vista x64 machine.

it asks for these 3 inputs:

Machine or server name.... i tried the name of my machine
    username i put the name of my acct on my machine
    password... i put my password in

nothing....

and also: if you see this as an opportunity to bash vista, save your breath... its my only problem so far
    Last edited by Tonk; 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: VMware problem

nobody? =(
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Have you tried just using "localhost" for Server Name?

Sometimes a program won't recognize your own system name if it runs on the same system.

What is the username and password for? It is for a admin account on the VMWare software? Or is it for a database user?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What version of VMware server are you trying to run?

There were recent issues with VMware server (GSX) and Vista where it just wouldn't work at all. You could install it just fine, but there were always authentication issues with Tomcat when you tried to get into the console.

I've not tried running GSX on my Vista machine since then, but that was close to a year ago.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

the first install was 1.0.6, but just yesterday, i installed 2.0RC1, it installed fine, and when i clicked on the shortcut it made on the desktop, it opened firefox and a new tab, it said the certificate was self made and invalid, so i bypassed that. and it opened what looked almost exactly like vmware server, but prettier. i was happy, so i made a vm, and "inserted" an iso into the cd drive, and clicked the run button..... there is NO form of graphical interface unlike the previous version i am using elseware. just a list saying.... Virtual Machine has turned on... Virtual Machine has successfully Posted... Virtual Machine is loading Fedora Core 8 installation from drive E: but i cant actually get INTO the VM

i am downloading 1.0.7 in better hopes of it working this time

its either get this thing going, or do my homework at the labs at school after 4pm.... i dont want to stay late 3-4 days a week...... if all else fails, i am enrolled in a program that allows me access to every microsoft OS for free... so i could just download XP Pro x64 or something if i get desperate, but id rather not dual boot...
          Last edited by Tonk; 09-18-2008, 10:24 PM. Reason: first version was 1.0.6, not 1.0.7