New Nvidia 260"+" officialy announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nvidia 260"+" officialy announced

As we have talked about, Nvidia is hurting due to the 4870 running so close to the 260, so they have decided to come out with an updated model. Yeah, more confusion for everyone! :madsmile:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216: Competition for the 4870

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216: EVGA, Zotac

BFG follows with new GTX 260

Plenty of other articles out there as well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: New Nvidia 260"+" officialy announced

Whew... my 4870 is still competitive ;)
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Couple more with some good reviews:

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (216 SP) Superclocked Edition Review

Zotac GeForce GTX 260 Amp˛ Edition 216 Shaders --This one is one of the best reviews I have seen. It is 30 pages and goes though tons of games even at 22" screen rez

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Even though this new card is slightly better then the 4870, think I am still going to go for the ATi offering. I think that this will lower the price on the 4870 a bit making it a great value, again.

I'm blown away by their lack of unifying their naming scheme

Comment

The funny thing is, the 260 started at what, like $399, and is now as low as $230.
          The 4870 has always been below $300, depending on what model you get, and is as low as $230.
          But now Nvidia introduces this new one that bumps their price up another $50.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            The funny thing is, the 260 started at what, like $399, and is now as low as $230.
            The 4870 has always been below $300, depending on what model you get, and is as low as $230.
            But now Nvidia introduces this new one that bumps their price up another $50.
            Thats the thing that kills me. It so blatanly obvious that nVidia tried to gouge people, then got caught. Now their trying desperatly to reclaim top spot in the mid range but in doing so have introduced confusion into the market. I think they should have called the new card the 265 to keep it clear. Again I just hope this drops the 4870 price a bit to keep it a good value (and so I can buy one :row__593:)

Comment

you guys told me the 4870 steps all over the 280..! I am getting more and more confused..!!

I was thinking of getting a 1GB 4870 from the "egg", but now..should I wait..again..?

Comment

No, the 4870 is about equal to a 260 in a lot of games. The 280 is faster than the 4870, but it can also cost about 2x as much, and started out at close to $600.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  No, the 4870 is about equal to a 260 in a lot of games. The 280 is faster than the 4870, but it can also cost about 2x as much, and started out at close to $600.
                  Yep, and right now the GTX280 also costs about the same as the 4870 X2. Which makes it something of a wash. Why would you buy a GTX280, when for about the same, you get the higher performing and dual-GPU X2?
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

ok..so.."do" or "don't" get the 4870..? the 1GB that I want is under $300..

Comment

I would. I have the 4870 1GB and I love it. I had the 4850 512MB and felt the GTX260 wasn't enough of a step up, and the price difference between the 4850 and 4870 512MB was less than $50 (even though I bought the 1GB...) I should have bought the 4870 in the first place, but that was my goof.

Correct me if I'm wrong but here's a vertical chart of performance, top being the highest performer. Based on reviews and shootouts I've read, and discussion in this forum...

4870 X2
                      GTX280
                      GTX260

Comment

I'm getting a headache trying to sort out the slight difference in some of these new cards. I wish they'd just settle on one naming scheme instead of added +s, -s, and coming up with names like: GTX8000+100438492+0923920934502wL33T.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I dont think that extra $50 for the 260+ is going to stay. For the immediate future the original 260s will drop in price but wait a few weeks after all the benchmarks come out saying that the 260+ isnt that much of an improvement and that $50 will drop as well

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                            Thats the thing that kills me. It so blatanly obvious that nVidia tried to gouge people, then got caught. Now their trying desperatly to reclaim top spot in the mid range but in doing so have introduced confusion into the market. I think they should have called the new card the 265 to keep it clear. Again I just hope this drops the 4870 price a bit to keep it a good value (and so I can buy one :row__593:)
                            This is nothing new. They did the same thing with the 8800 GTS model when they went from the G90 to G92 core. If you didnt look real close during pruchase you could have paid for a G92 core and received a G90.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                              Yep, and right now the GTX280 also costs about the same as the 4870 X2. Which makes it something of a wash. Why would you buy a GTX280, when for about the same, you get the higher performing and dual-GPU X2?
                              1. Not all games take advantage of dual GPUs.
                              2. Space inside of gaming case.
                              3. Brand loyalty.
                              4. I couldnt think of a fourth reason but the above three seem like pretty good reasons.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X