Catalyst 8.9 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 8.9 Released

They don't seem to QUITE have the download link working yet, but...

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...common-vista32

I've had to run the 8.6 driver for my 4870, due to flicker problems in Warhammer and (infrequently) in 2142 with the 8.7 and 8.8 drivers. Plus there's some bad texturing in Warhammer (can see through some textures, like being able to see the teeth and jaw through the face) that didn't show with the 8.6 driver with either the 4870, or my previous 4850.

Maybe this will fix it.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Re: Catalyst 8.9 Released

Why is it that the video card manufacturers are so obsessed with getting newer cards out instead of actually working on better drivers for the cards they have out now. Seems like Nvidia is getting as bad as ATI used to be with poor drivers. That was one of the reasons why I switched to Nvidia but now it seems the drivers for Nvidia aren't to good either, I think I am readyto go back to ATI again.
    I guess I just expect way to much from a product and the support for that product I have.

Comment

I haven't really figured out for myself why I've purchased ATi cards, but I think that's mostly because I have an AMD board and somehow think it all works better that way.

That, and I like to run the underdog from time to time. I've owned 3 generations of ATi cards (9800XT, x1950 Pro, HD4850, and now my HD4870) but had quite a run with 4 generations of NVidia cards (Ti460 which replaced my 3dFX VooDoo2, 5600FX, 6600GT, 8600GTS)

This time though I simply wanted whatever was the top performing single card solution currently, at or under $300 because I've never owned a high-end video card. Which is the 1GB HD4870. My next card will probably be another mid-range card. I had good luck with the 9800XT and x1950 Pro, so I thought the driver woes were gone and gave me the opportunity to move to a non-Nvidia card. I read glowing reviews on the 4850, so I bought that... only to discover that for just $50 more, the 4870 really would have been a somewhat better deal for a brand new retail card.

Plus, moving from the 4850 to the GX260 would have been something of a strange buy. It performs better than the 4850, but not as well as the 4870, so why bother with the middle child?
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I think I need a whole new PSU if I wanted to run crossfire on my MB. I have 2-6 pin connectors coming from my PSU that are supposed to be for video cards. I am just not sure what I can run from those 2-6 pins connectors? I am running Nvidia right now single card and have had some issues with my video card and had to uninstall and reinstall my drivers to get things working, so far I have had no problems yet but these were the same prblems I had from the older ATI cards I had before. Of course with the X800XT AIW card I had at that time I could not run any newer drivers cause some of the games I played didn't support the newer drivers such as Oblivion.
        called ATI support a few times and they told me that I had to run older drivers that were more stable and when I had these issues with my graphics fouling up on me I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. ATI support was the ones that came out and said the drivers for that particular card sucked and they had to be reinstalled for proper video performance.
        So, I keep current Nvidia drivers saved for later reinstalling since i have had problems. Figure I don't have to waste time downloading the drivers again unless newer ones come out that may help with my problems. Maybe I can contact EVGA and get a RMA, even so I would probably get a card that has the same problems as I did with ATI. I RMA'ed that X800XT AIW 3 times and still ahd the same problems till the ATI support told me it was just that card and drivers conflicting with one another.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X