power supply needs for a video card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power supply needs for a video card

i am thinking of buying a new video card and want to make sure my power supply is big enough to handle it.

my power supply is 420 watts
    the video cqard i'm wanting to buy is this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121272

Re: power supply needs for a video card

It would be very tight. What brand of PSU do you have? Is it a stock one that came with your computer?

Might just want to drop about $65 or so on a new PSU just to be safe.

Edit:
    Wow, here is an OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W for $55 and it comes with a free 4 gig flash drive.

And any reason you want that exact card? I am really considering one of the just released but hard to find HIS cards with the ICE coolers:
    it is the blue ones, and there are 4 different models:
    http://search.zipzoomfly.com/?Key=48...ory=00&x=0&y=0

One of them is even $176.99 after rebate
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0009R 420W ATX12V Power Supply
      thats my current power supply

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Meat View Post
        i am thinking of buying a new video card and want to make sure my power supply is big enough to handle it.

my power supply is 420 watts
        the video cqard i'm wanting to buy is this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121272
        I had that very same exact card (and in fact, my 4850 is for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade section... ;) ha!) on a 450W stock Antec PSU. It ran just fine. However, I tend to agree that 420W is really pushing it. I would also recommend a more powerful PSU.

Especially considering I tried the 4870 on the same PSU and it would konk out. So I needed to buy a new one. I only bought (felt I needed) a 500W PSU but there are better deals out there than the place next door to my apt. I was going to go for a CoolerMaster 520 (or so Watt) one, but the two 12v rails the 4870 needed didn't have enough combined amps to run the card reliably. This one had the necessary AMPs

That's just me relating my experience. I don't have a PSU recommendation that's what everyone else here is for ;)
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Here is a review for a sim. card's power needs
          http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...D_4850/24.html

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Dead_Meat, could you post what the amperage on the +12V rail(s) is on your PSU?

Amperage is what you need to concentrate on more when you try and decide if your current PSU can handle a new card.

Use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to help you get your possible amperage needs on the +12V rail(s). It's fairly accurate if you select the right settings.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

if i get a 600w power supply will that be big enough for me to upgrade my system to a quad core with vista and 8 gigs of ram here in about 6 months or so?

Comment

how about this card
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161246

this is the output amprage
                [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];
                [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Comment

when i use that calculator it says 306w when i configure it with the 4850 video card
                  whada yall think if i try it will it hurt anything

Comment

I'm not one to gamble with them but my brother is running an AMD 6000+, 4GB of RAM and 2 8800GTs on a 550 watt Antec so you might manage to get by. Just don't get too upset when your PSU goes out and takes half of the rest of the computer with it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I am running a quad with 4 gigs of ram and an 8800GTS on 620watts Corsair PSU, so I think a 600watt OCZ should be good.

As far as the card at newegg, I posted the link to ZipZoomFly because they have all 4 models to choose from, and actually have them cheaper than Newegg. ZZF is a very good company right up there with Newegg. Newegg did have all 4 models, but for some reason they cut it down to 2 models now.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Meat View Post
                        when i use that calculator it says 306w when i configure it with the 4850 video card
                        whada yall think if i try it will it hurt anything
                        I forgot to mention that the "free" version doesn't give you amperage for the +12V, +5V, and +3.3V rails.

If you can jot down in a post the exact parts you want in your new rig, I can post the amperage and wattage you need for that particular rig. I'd be calculating based on a worst-case scenario (100% system load and 100% CPU load).

I can say right now that 18A on the +12V might not cut it especially if you get a X2 card or SLI/Crossfire. (Those rigs can draw somewhere from 19A to 30+A on the +12V rail(s).)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

my current system is
                          Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0009R 420W ATX12V Power Supply
                          ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
                          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
                          Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
                          HIS Hightech H165PRQ512N-R Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
                          NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM
                          Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
                          Microsoft B7G-00004 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse 6000
                          old ancient keyboard whith half the letters worn off
                          SENNHEISER PC 155 3.5mm/ USB Circumaural PC Headset

now i'm pretty sold on a new power supply i just want to make sure its big enough i dont have to replace it again to soon
                          need a new video card now i just bought the new stalker game and this card wont run it

later i may go to vista and a quad core processor (which i may buy a new mobo when i do) and go for the 8 gigs of ram but i probly wont do this for at least another 6 months (i want to get a 24in monitor first)
                          so if that 600 w will be enough its a good price or should i get a 750 w supply

here is a 750w psu i was looking at
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Comment

As Bamboo said, the Corsair PSU's are very nice. I have the same 620w version in a Quad core system.

The one you linked to is nice and will run most moderate to high end systems fine. It has a nice big fat 60amps on the 12v rail. The 620w I believe has 48amps and has been shown to be able to handle 8800GTX's in SLI. The difference though is the 620 model is modular where as the 750 is not (cables detach that aren't used). Not a big deal though.

Comment

LongBow is correct, the Corsair you linked to is pretty popular.

Thing is, you are thinking about getting a 24" monitor soon? The native rez on a 24" monitor is pretty high. You might really want to be looking at a 4870 or 260 gfx. card, or you are going to be hurting when you get the 24". If you do end up with the 4850, you might want to consider getting the 1gig memory version of the card, as running a high rez screen is the only time it shows what the 1 gig is helpful for. If you stay with like a 22" or smaller, the 512mb ver. is fine.

There is a 1 gig version of the HIS ICE card we talked about above.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X