FF3 and IE8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF3 and IE8

I know, this is something that has been talked about before plenty of times on the forums the debates about FF and IE. Well, last night I decided to download and try out the IE8 beta 2. I played around with it for a while and I liked it to begin with but then I started going to some of the sites I typically visit and all was going well till I went to post a few comments in his one particular sites forum section and I couldn't do it. I had to use the compatibility mode cause the site didn't support IE8. So I did that but then I had a lot of issues with not being able to click on links and forums tools. So I had to switch back in order to use forums tools. I had one big headache after another trying to make a post that only should have taken me a minute but instead took about 10 minutes to accomplish. So I uninstalled IE8 beta 2, which had me thinking, it has been a long time since I have used FF and I downloaded FF3.
    I am very pleased so far with it. I have had no issues with any web site I have gone to, I have no troubles posting in the one particular sites forum section. That was a plus to me.
    I still like IE7 and even IE8 loaded faster for most sites I visited compared to FF3 but IE8 is useless if it can't work with other sites besides the latest sites that are compatible with IE8.

So, comparing IE8 to FF3 I like FF3 so far. Compared to IE7 though, I still like IE7 better but I think IE8 is going to have so much crap with it most people will not understand how to use it especially that compatibility crap. I still have some exploring and learning to do with FF3 cause it has been so long since I have used any other browser except IE. No other browser impressed me enough to continue using them till I downloaded FF3 last night.
    I figured I better start using FF3 a little more to understand it cause when IE8 comes out officially I don't want to rely on it for viewing a lot of the older web sites I go to that have not updated to use IE8 yet.

Was a die hard IE user till last night, IE8 I believe is going to convert a lot more people over to FF3.

Re: FF3 and IE8

It's probably because a lot of webmasters have had to use "hacks" and other workarounds to get their sites to render properly in IE7. That is probably why you've had to turn on "compatibility mode" in IE8b2.

Another reason is that some sites use a "browser detector" script. The script then renders a page with a browser-specific stylesheet. Again, the IE7 workarounds creep through on these special stylesheets.

The problem doesn't like just with IE8 but also with webmasters who either don't write markup according to standards (defined by the W3C) or who still try to write for IE.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You lost me, :). So this may happen with FF3 as well?

Comment

Not really. FF3 (or at least the Gecko engine) supports CSS 2.1 specification, so any webmaster who writes markup that are standards compliant will have no trouble with FF3 rendering their pages.

IE7, on the other hand, does not meet standards. Microsoft implements several parts of CSS 2.1 differently than what is defined by W3C.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know I will be ticked if a lot of my sites I like visiting don't work properly, the whole reason why I got rid of IE8b2. No need to have something that is more of a headache to use. I want simple, speed isn't really a huge factor to me as it is with some, I am just thankful I am no on dial up, could be slower with dial up.

Comment

I must be the only weirdo that uses Opera :D
            Last edited by TurkishDelight; 09-17-2008, 08:37 PM.
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

TurkishDelight you said "USED', so I take it you no longer use it?

Comment

Sorry, I meant "USES", as in currently.

Typo on my part!

I think it offers great features, and It works great for me!
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  It's probably because a lot of webmasters have had to use "hacks" and other workarounds to get their sites to render properly in IE7. That is probably why you've had to turn on "compatibility mode" in IE8b2.

Another reason is that some sites use a "browser detector" script. The script then renders a page with a browser-specific stylesheet. Again, the IE7 workarounds creep through on these special stylesheets.

The problem doesn't like just with IE8 but also with webmasters who either don't write markup according to standards (defined by the W3C) or who still try to write for IE.
                  That is a large part of it. Often developers look to see if it is the IE browser then write code for it. They assume that IE means IE.xxx.

We ran into that problem because we only checked for IE. The app looked horrible. All we had to do was check for IE 7 or less to do the old way. If > 7 then it simply defaults to the common code and it seems to work pretty well.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I use mini-opera on my blackberry, but nothing could drag me away from FF3 and my addons

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight
                      I used Opera for a long time exclusively when FF2 had first come out on the market (before the popularity of its add-ons).

It's a great browser, but it suffers from a fairly large memory leak that completely hampers browsing when there are more than a dozen tabs open to sites.

Originally posted by El Gringo Grande
                      That is a large part of it. Often developers look to see if it is the IE browser then write code for it. They assume that IE means IE.xxx.

We ran into that problem because we only checked for IE. The app looked horrible. All we had to do was check for IE 7 or less to do the old way. If > 7 then it simply defaults to the common code and it seems to work pretty well.
                      I haven't tested IE8 yet, but if they fully implement CSS 2.1 specification, I will no longer have to worry about my websites breaking or having to use workarounds because IE refuses to recognize some attributes.

Provided I mostly write static pages, I have the 5 popular browsers installed (IE7, FF3, Chrome, Opera 9.26, Safari) and regularly test my pages in each of them. FF3, Opera, Safari, and Chrome all conform to standards, so if one doesn't render my page the way I think it should, the rest won't either. Then I probably left out a closing attribute tag or missed a reference call somewhere.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

One thing I have noticed with FF3 since I have downloaded it, I have had quite a few crashes with it. Never had any of these issues with IE7, didn't use IE8 long enough to find out about it. What could be causing the crashes with FF3? I haven't done anything to it YET such as customizing it so it is as it was when installed.

Comment

Also have to remember that it's beta. I'll wait until it gets out of beta then try it. I'm currently giving Google's Chrome a try and so far I like it. A learning curve here though.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                            I use Opera as my main browser in OS X. Every once in a while, a website won't work correctly with it, in which case, I use Firefox 3.

Comment

there's also the IE Tab plugin for FFX. For those few pages that exist anymore that Firefox doesn't quite digest right.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X