PC Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Problem

Ok I have an old rig, probably 6 years old, matbe older, which was upgraded throughout the years. I think the only think thats original is the mobo and cpu (maybe I even switched the cpu). I got a new rig last year, and gave this old one to my mother.

The problem is, when I have two hds hooked up (ide) I get a boot disk failure after a couple reboots (doesn't detect either drive), so it may or may not boot up fine a couple times. If I just leave the primary in there alone, it runs fine. I don't really have parts to swap out, but I was wondering what people thought could be the issue. I changed the ide cable thinking it might be that, no luck. I am fairly certain it is not the PSU, because it is only maybe a year and a half old (although you never know with PSUs). I put the secondary hd in another machine and it seemed to be fine for several days.

Could a failing mobo, or cmos battery be the cause? (but then wouldn't it occur with just one hd?). The mobo is the old piece in there, I could get some cheapo and stick it in there, but I don't want to spend a penny on this junker :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: PC Problem

I doubt a new battery would matter, but that is only like $2.

Have you done anything with the jumpers? The little pins on the back of the HD? And everything is set up in the BIOS right?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      I doubt a new battery would matter, but that is only like $2.

Have you done anything with the jumpers? The little pins on the back of the HD? And everything is set up in the BIOS right?
      Ya everything was fine for a long time, it started happening at the end of last year (so I ended up running it with just the 1 hd).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Replace the CMOS battery first.

If you still experience problems after that, your mobo is going down the drain.

The CMOS battery usually only lasts about 4-5 years before they have to be replaced.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Replace the CMOS battery first.

If you still experience problems after that, your mobo is going down the drain.

The CMOS battery usually only lasts about 4-5 years before they have to be replaced.
          I guess that would be a good start. I think I got the pc in 2001, and mobo hasn't changed since.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Is the second hard drives jumpers set to slave?

Did someone open the p.c and maybe fiddle with the drives?

Are all the cables fully plugged in?

Is the pc set up to boot from your primary hard drive? check the bios, someone may have changed something without you knowing about it.

Comment

If there's a second IDE channel, you can try using a second cable for the second HD.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                Is the second hard drives jumpers set to slave?

Did someone open the p.c and maybe fiddle with the drives?

Are all the cables fully plugged in?

Is the pc set up to boot from your primary hard drive? check the bios, someone may have changed something without you knowing about it.
                I check all connections, jumpers and bios, all seems ok. Although sometimes when I get the boot disk failure, it says the CPU/PCI frequenct is not set correctly (defaults to 100/33, should be 133/33). THats why I though cmos might dieing.

If there's a second IDE channel, you can try using a second cable for the second HD.
                There is a 2nd channel, but its used for cdrom. Can I have an hd and cdrom on same cable? Actually, maybe I can try running the 2 hds off the 2nd channel, and cdrom off the one that may be faulty. Will that work?

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Ok switching the hds to the 2nd channel leads to the same scenario. So I am leaning towards a failing mobo?

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Ok, now I have put the primary on its own channel, and a cdrom and secondary hd on 2nd channel. It has booted up several times. I will run it this way for a while see if the problem occurs again.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Just wondering, why do you need 2 HD running for your mom? How much space does she need? If it keeps happening and you need more room, why not just go with 1 like 500 gig HD?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well I would like to invest as little as possible into it, plus who knows what can crap out on the old junker anytime. For now it seems to be working with th 2 on seperate channels.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Well, it's good that putting the 2nd drive on the 2nd channel works. I'm not sure why it would be a problem when both drives are on one channel. If it happens again, I would suggest reinstalling the mobo drivers or checking if there is an updated set of mobo drivers.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sounds like the HDD is reeady to go out to me. I had a similar problem with my old computer I had. First few times it happened I overlooked it cause it wasn't that frequent but then as a few months passed by it got to where when it did start up it acted like the HDD would just freeze not allowing me to do very much, then eventually nothing, no start up or anything.
                            I even downloaded some tools from western Digital to help with diagnosing my HDD and they all would check out fine. A buddy of mine that was relatively smart about these things claimed that the diagnostic tools would not let me know if the bearing was bad and apparently that was the issue. The platters were testing fine but when the HDD acted up on me it would chatter really bad.
                            I ended up swapping the HDD out for a smaller one I had on hand till I got a bigger HDD. A computer that is a year and a half old is not too bad to invest in, especially for your mom. I would say get a new HDD that is fairly cheap and get it large enough for her to do what she wants, probably play those annoying games such as Mysteryville, Bejeweled, and Zuma. A cheap 160Gb would store a lot of those types of games, pictures, or whatever.
                            And you can always have the second good working HDD as a backup or spare.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X