is a 47'' monitor too big?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a 47'' monitor too big?

so im picking up a 47'' Insignia LCD HDTV on tuesday. insignia = samsung screen and parts.. but private name for best buy only... its 1080P, 3 hdmi inputs, i have a DVI to HDMI cable already, so connecting this beast to my computer wont be a problem.. thing is, is this too big? the main purpose of this is NOT for use as a computer monitor, but for use as a television, connected to a ps3, HD directTV box for watching HDTV and blu-ray movies. but i have a big bit of HD movies on my computer, so it will be connected to my computer anyway, just wondering if it would be good to game on LOLOL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1194052042360

im pretty set on this specific tv, so no need to talk me into another model....
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: is a 47'' monitor too big?

here is one of our guys that plays on a 42" LCD..

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/call-du...new-rig-2.html

Comment

Every so often, I play CoD4 off the DVR, which is attached to a 36" 1080i TV.

I found it to be pretty enjoyable, actually... except when it comes down to actually trying to read text.

Which VoIP should eliminate the need for that anyhow ;)

It'd probably be alright for PR too, but not for 2142 or Warhammer or a couple of other games. For those, I need to be able to pinpoint things on a minimap, or read reams of text.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

um....no. in fact im jealous.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

For watching HD video from the PC, this should be fine. The readable text is probably the biggest issue if you're web surfing or gaming but I think that would be alright at 1080p. I don't see any other problem other than having high enough FPS during gaming. My 8800GT seems to be able to handle games so far at 1920x1200.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Use the zoom function on your browser to blow the text up to something readable or just adjust the default font size.

If you can find someone using a super-duper-1000-inch Super-Magma-HDTV++ for their rig, 47" won't even come close to being big enough. ;)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
              here is one of our guys that plays on a 42" LCD..

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/call-du...new-rig-2.html
              hey birdie does the 42" help him see anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                so im picking up a 47'' Insignia LCD HDTV on tuesday. insignia = samsung screen and parts.. but private name for best buy only... its 1080P, 3 hdmi inputs, i have a DVI to HDMI cable already, so connecting this beast to my computer wont be a problem.. thing is, is this too big? the main purpose of this is NOT for use as a computer monitor, but for use as a television, connected to a ps3, HD directTV box for watching HDTV and blu-ray movies. but i have a big bit of HD movies on my computer, so it will be connected to my computer anyway, just wondering if it would be good to game on LOLOL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1194052042360

im pretty set on this specific tv, so no need to talk me into another model....
                Hate to break it to you but the current lineup of large Insignia TVs are made by Apex. Last years models were made by a Chinese company called XOCECO. They may use some parts sourced from Samsung (pretty much every manufacturer sources parts from either LG or Samsung) but the quality of the TVs (and particularly the picture quality) does not stand up very well to more expensive TVs. The Insignia plasmas are decent (rebranded LGs) but still not great. Best Buy's private label stuff is really a crapshoot. For example, their Rocketfish cases (made by Lian Li) are wonderful. Their Rocketfish power supplies (Huntkey) are crap. That Insignia TV should work just fine (I have a 27" Insignia CRT that I bought for $50 when I worked there that has been solid for a few years) but their quality really isn't up to par with most of the name brand electronics they carry.
                sigpic

Comment

I hooked my computer up to my new Philips 42" and WHOA! It was like real life! But I disconnected it because I don't want my computer in the living room.

Comment

Thats fine as long as your not right in front of it if you know what i mean

Comment

I went back to my 21 from the 36. It was just too much for me to get everything in my peripheral vision without having to glance all around. Beeutiful though. My kid thought the same..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X