Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directTV HD

love it or hate it?
    the reason i ask is because our DVR crapped out on us, it just clicks and the power button just blinks. so they are comming out on tuesday to replace the DVR in the upstairs wish the same thing.. SD DVR. i asked if it would be possible to get an HD box put where my 47" lcd hdtv is going (i pick it up on monday). short answer : yes.. altho a new triple of 5 LNB dish needs to be installed.

does anyone else have this? do they like it? what resolution do they broadcast in? i have heard that 720p is the standard for most of the 130(claimed) HD channels that directtv offers.

is there anything i sould ask or request from the installer when he is here?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: directTV HD

I love DirecTV and love their HD.

Most channels right now are 1080i and all are being converted over to MPEG4 a few are at 720p though. In a few months we will start seeing everything switching over to 1080p.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

current boxes cant handle 1080p tho right? so in a few months ill have to buy a 1080p box if i want to enjoy 1080p content? wont i need a 17 LNB dish? (just kidding lol)
      1080p in mpeg4 (h264) is probably smaller bitrate or similar bitrate as 720p, and a lil bigger than 1080i
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I was quite pleased to see a notice on my DirecTiVo that DTV and TiVo have renewed their relationship and will be coming out with an HD unit next year. My beef now is that it's not available today.

I have a regular Series 2 connected to a basic sat receiver, and a DTV TiVo unit that can record 2 programs at once (with dual LNB).

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/h...vo-on-the-way/
        http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4900010
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
          current boxes cant handle 1080p tho right? so in a few months ill have to buy a 1080p box if i want to enjoy 1080p content? wont i need a 17 LNB dish? (just kidding lol)
          1080p in mpeg4 (h264) is probably smaller bitrate or similar bitrate as 720p, and a lil bigger than 1080i
          If you're asking about HDTVs, most nowadays (42" and above) can display 1080p ("full HD").
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I suspect he's talking about the DTV receiver box. And as far as I know, the current boxes are only 1080i.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              I suspect he's talking about the DTV receiver box. And as far as I know, the current boxes are only 1080i.
              I've got a Direct TV HD DVR box that supports 1080p reception. Or at least it says it does... I can't tell because I couldn't afford a TV good enough to tell...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

yes i was reffering to the dtv box, im new to this, so everything i know is hearsay, and i have heard and read that most current boxes are 1080i, my tv is 1080P... im watching it right now (a blu ray... dtv will be here tomorrow) and its PURDY
                powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Let me know how you like it. We have DTV at the house but not the HD package, and a shiny new pair of HDTV's and we are looking at upgrading. $150 install fee kind of a put off at the moment.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I was thinking of getting the new "Turbo HD" package from Dish Netowrk because everything on there is supposed to be 1080p..but then I remembered...my Sammy is only 1080i..! LOL!

Time for a new 73" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP I think! :)

Comment

well, they came out and installed it..... it wasnt direct TV.. i was misinformed. we got turbo HD from dish. i had the most badass box put in for my HDTV.. the ViP722, normally a $500 item, only 5/month lease cost. it supports 1080p, but only for PPV and on demand stuff, i dont know why. but the 1080i looks crystal clear (most of the time, some of the HD channels dont have HD shows on 24/7 i noticed) we got the best package... all the premium channels, and the HD package, and it was 10 less a month than when they had direct TV until the DVR up stairs blew.

id say there are close to 100 HD channels
                      • local channels are all HD
                      • all premium (except 3 i think) are HD
                      • maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the normal channels are HD
                      • all of the discovery channels are HD (i love discovery and science channel)

i noticed that when sitting close (about as close as people are from computer monitors) it seems like it is compressed, but i cant see it from far away, but i think this is because of the component cables that they installed. i have a few HDMI cables commin from newegg, and a dvi->hdmi cable to connect my computer so in a few days, ill be as good as ever
                      Last edited by Tonk; 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM.