No announcement yet.

Acer AspireOne with WinXP for $399.99!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer AspireOne with WinXP for $399.99!

Guess what I found at NewEgg? Acer AspireOne with XP for $399.99

Something I thought only Micro Center carried just a month ago, NewEgg now also carries, but with a $50 higher price tag.

NewEgg also carries the SSD-based Acers and ASUS "netbooks" with Linux installed.

:)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Acer AspireOne with WinXP for $399.99!

So Attack of the Show did a review on this last night and they liked it:

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/...-Notebook.html

The version with XP and 160gig HD would be pretty sweet for under $400.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

NICE! they dropped the price on them!

-and just in time for my move. I was informed that I can't take my laptop with me, and I need a portable machine as well as something to stream all that media on my trip.

Thanks for the heads up Bamboo, you did me a service today by posting this. I'm going to stop by Microcenter on lunch and buy one. If I find myself using it more, I'll look into the larger battery. I already have a 7,200rpm laptop drive in an enclosure, and I have some spare RAM laying around so I'll just get the $320 model.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

ok..so what the heck do you do with the little thing..? It seems completely useless..or am I just missing something here?

Comment

It is useless for gaming, but for just about everything else you do with a laptop, it is great. And it is about 2 pounds and tiny, so it is easy to keep with you all the time. A 6-8 pound laptop doesn't sound like much till you start carrying it around for a few hours.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It serves some utilitarian purpose, and beats lugging a 15" laptop out for some before-bed surfing or firing up the main rig. Plus for school or being on the road, can't be beat.

I can hook my diagnostics hardware/software from the car, to this computer, and do data and performance logging, too.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

D630
              Aspire One
              BB Pearl

Luvz it.

Comment

Nice! Did you go with the XP?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Nice! Did you go with the XP?
                  Yes. According to them, the RAM isn't upgradable and she wasn't sure about the hard drive (I'm sure it is, or both of them are, but either way)... plus it was only $20 and... well...

the Linux one was out of stock. So. That tended to help things.

Been in the process of uninstalling the usual extra crap that came with it. If it's too much of a pain in the rear, I'll install Pro over Home edition that's on it though frankly I have an external drive I can probably run Linux off of if I'm so inclined. We'll see. Found it kind of funny that it came with DVD playing software. Will have to hook up the external DVD drive and see how well it'd play an actual video. Probably pretty poorly given the processor and the fact that it uses onboard GMA graphics.

The fan's whirring along normally but it has a small whine to it. The initial setup of the thing took over a half hour because it auto-configures Acer software including McAffee and all that other garbage. It's zippy enough, but if I can replace the hard drive then I'm going to put my other 120GB in it which is a 7200rpm drive. Light as can be and comes with a slipcover soft vinyl "case". Has some neat features, and really does boot quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                    ok..so what the heck do you do with the little thing..? It seems completely useless..or am I just missing something here?
                    I plan on using to read all my various academic documents (Doc files, PDFs, etc.), surf the web, read eBooks, type down notes, and connect to the local DePaul network.

It'll basically replace my 6 inch stack of paper notebooks for the rest of my academic (and possibly professional) life, save me lots of money from having to print all those documents (paper and ink costs).

Plus it has advantages over just a grayscale eReader (Kindle, etc.):
                    • Color screen
                    • Wireless connectivity (for internet)
                    • Does more than display text
                    • Much better note taking (than Kindle offers)
                    • Allows me to move files onto a USB drive (instead of a SD card)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I guess since you guys actually have a use for them, then they are pretty neat..but for me, I just cannot think of anything to do with it that I don't already do with my old ancient AMD900mhz Vaio (stays near the uh..uh.."bathroom" so to speak:)) so I guess it fills the only real "need" I have for a laptop type thingy..

But it really is super cute little booger!

Comment

Ooooh...Spulat got it in BLUE! :D

Too bad they don't make it in black. :(
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Ooooh...Spulat got it in BLUE! :D

Too bad they don't make it in black. :(
                          Actually, they do. the colors listed on the side of the box (graphically) are white, blue, black, brown, and pink. However they MIGHT be different configurations somehow... because the white system is Linux.

Comment

Hmm, their official website only lists: White, Pink, and Blue.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's on the box though. Hm. Weird.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X