No announcement yet.

New Computer Build Completed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer Build Completed

Thought I post this summary in this forum for anyone looking for a set of compatible parts for a build.

Antec 900 Extreme Gaming Case
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Motherboard
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB Videocard
    PC Power & Cooling 750watt power supply
    Intel Core 2 Q9550
    Kingston DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB memory
    Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000rpm SATA drive
    LG 20X DVD Burner SATA
    Windows XP Home

This is my second computer build so I'm no expert by any means; however, they all went together easily. It booted up on first start and Windows loaded quickly and without initial issues.

I did notice a few quirky things as played with it - Windows not starting cleanly on reboot, games crashing and locking up. Sequentially I worked to try find the issues. I concluded it was the memory after everything I tried(BIOS update, newest drivers, ensuring BIOS settings were all correct, etc.,) didn't fix the random issues.

I replaced the memory with 2GB of Kingston DDR2 800Mhz from my old computer and everything lined out. No issues during three days of gaming and messing around. I am a little annoyed at this because I deliberately chose Gigabyte approved 1066Mhz to match the board. And, I know the BIOS was correctly detecting the settings.

I ran the free, default setting 3Dmark06 benchmark and it reports 15300. BTW, I get the same number with 800 or 1066Mhz memory.

All parts from Newegg except the case and OS from Frys. Total cost about $1750.

System runs nicely cool I think. The GTX 280 is 50C idle and reaching 70C after 1 hr of Mass Effect. CPUs show about 30C idle and reaching 50C after 1 hr of gaming - I noticed Mass Effect using all 4 cores while POE2, PR, WoW don't use them all as much.

All fans in the Antec case are on low(three speed settings).

Onboard sound piped into my Creative 5.1 speakers is excellent. Those bullets whizz by now in POE2.

POE2 at 8X AA, all video on high and 1600x1200 is 100fps stable.
    Mass Effect everything high 2X AA, 1920x1600 shows 70+fps stable
    Other games everything maxed out and smooth video.

I reused my G15 keyboard, G5 mouse and Samsung 24" panel to round out the system.

We will see if the system stays stable and lasts a couple of months before something fails. Will update this if something interesting happens.

Re: New Computer Build Completed

I'm thinking of buying the q9550, what do you have to say about it?

The memory problem, maybe as something to do with the fact, that windows xp only recognizes 3Gb.

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

nice machine bro :) i have a

Antec 900 gaming case

Intel x38 Extreme MB

EVGA 9800 GT

550w PS (lol cant remember the name)

Intel Q9450

Corsair DDR3 mem PC 10600 2gigs

Acer 22" widescreen monitor

Win Xp Pro 64

3DMark06 Score 12689 cpu stock setting 2.66 overclocked to 2.8 everything else is at stock settings.

everything maxed out on PR high settings on everything 1600x1200 res with 8x AA and avarage around 70-145 FPS lowest being when all hell is breaking loose and or alot of map clutter.

im happy so far with it :) havent realy started playing with it yet but i will this winter when things cool down :)

that is ONE SWEET BUILD m8,, very nice :) wish i could have afforded the 280,, nice card.
      Last edited by Cappy; 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM.

Nice build, should be good for the next 3-4 years without making your wish you had bought better parts. :)

My rig isn't as high-end, but still very nice (specs in my sig).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Sweetness! Enjoy!!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed