Firefox Lies.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Lies.

A screenshot of FF 3.x eating well over 600 MB of RAM on my system. Thereby moving my RAM usage from 33% to over 60% at the moment.

I discretely remember reading several tech sites reviewing FF3 and saying that it eats only 200 MB of RAM. Bogus. I call it a lie!

So there ya go. Firefox eating over 3 times the advertised amount.

P.S. I do have 26 open tabs right now. That number usually jumps between 14 and 48.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Firefox Lies.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

I discretely remember reading several tech sites reviewing FF3 and saying that it eats only 200 MB of RAM. Bogus. I call it a lie!

So there ya go. Firefox eating over 3 times the advertised amount.

P.S. I do have 26 open tabs right now. That number usually jumps between 14 and 48.
    Naturally they can't calculate your particular usage based on having an excessive number of tabs open and unknown plugins running. Those benchmarks are usually made based on basic use.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Uhm yeah, maybe close a tab or two!:row__635:

That is a boat load of memory usage though, just need to run X64 and more ram - problem solved :row__593:

Comment

Only 26 tabs? You amateur! :D

I routinely go to the TG "New Posts" page and open every thread that looks interesting to me in a separate tab. Then I mark everything read. Then I go across the tabs, reading and responding. Rinse, repeat.

That's not counting tabs for other forum sites, for games, and the ones I open to follow links on those pages without closing the linking page (so I can get back again to comment).

Oh, and "discreetly"? ;) (I think you meant "distinctly".)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

What on Earth does anybody need more than a few tabs open at a time for??
          I usually at most have 4 tabs open and then it is only so I can double check what I may be reading from a different page.
          No wonder your RAM is getting used up.

Comment

While reading this thread, I have 7 tabs open and am using 201,332 K of memory. I did have like 20 tabs open a few moments ago when I was replying to the DVR webcam thread while I was looking through my bookmarks.

I closed out my Netvibes homepage and memory dropped to 185,143 K.
            Just for fun I opened up the same tabs in IE and it is using 195,700k.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
              What on Earth does anybody need more than a few tabs open at a time for??
              "640K ought to be enough for anybody." (often wrongly attributed to Bill Gates)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

Of course, having multiple Windows is equally foolish. Let's just go back to one application at a time, taking up the full screen. And instead of having thousands of files on a disk, let's just have a few.

Tabs are a way to organize windows, and windows are a way to do more than one thing at a time. I typically have at least 4 tasks going at a time (often much more) and each task requires rapid switching among many documents.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have 7 tabs right now at 81,000K and 2GB of extra ram right now.
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Just for the heck of it I opened IE7 and then continued to open tabs at that moment I have 37 tabs open an viewing different pages of all sorts and only using 429,848 K. As I browse and do muiltiple resfreshes on different pages and open sifferent sites as quickly as I can I seen it go from 429,848 K down to 407,300 but the CPU usage jumped from 0 to 14% briefly.
                  Seems like FF3 is still more demanding than IE7 on my computer and still opens pages more slowly than IE7. Don't get me wrong, I have been using FF3 quite a bit since my experience with IE8b2 and like it a lot but still it seems like it is far slower at opening a lot of sites as quickly as IE7 and definitely slower when more tabs are opened compared to IE7.

Comment

Funny you should post this today. Look what just came up in my RSS feed:

How Much Memory Does a WebPage in a Tab Take Up in Web Browser?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I know, it doesn't take into account how much larger webpages are these days. I wonder if the x64 "Minefield" build handles things any differently. Maybe not? Don't know I installed it but haven't had the time to use it yet due to my desktop crashing unexpectedly.

I think it's maybe more cause for alarm and "ah-ha!" if the memry usage just kept creeping up up up showing that they didn't fix the memory leaks after all.
                      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

maybe you need to be more concerned with the fact you have 70+ process running...get that down to like 30 then worry about fire fox
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

I just opened 27 tabs and tried loading stuff in each one as fast as I could and could only get it to 131mb.

Comment

I just opened 83 tabs in xp home 32 and got it up to 243 801
                            Maybe it isn't very good with vista?
                            When I closed all those tabs though it only went down to 181 452 so I guess if you do a lot of tab opening and closing it can stack up like that. It seems FF doesn't get rid of unneeded memory very well.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                            In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

i usually have 20 tabs open at startup, and gain another 10 more or so during my browsing. and i run about 1.5-2.5 GB because i dont use a swap file and i have 8gb ram