Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800gs combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127365

Comes with a free game combo, check it at the bottom of the page. A pretty good deal for anyone gaming around 1280X1024.

Rebate neccessary, but free shipping.

EDIT:for clarification 8800gs and 9600gso are the exact same card with different names
    Last edited by Namebot; 09-24-2008, 08:15 PM.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: 8800gs combo

I'm confused. Your link is to a GeForce 9600 GSO.
    While $45 is pretty cheap, that is still a weak card, lower than a 9600GT and well below a 8800GT. I understand your point about low rez gaming, but most newer games even at that rez would crush this card, and forget any future games.

I actually find it funny though that the normal price is $95. They should be charging like $60 normally at the most.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

For $95 you can get a 512 9600GTS.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Oh yeah, silly me. 9600gso is the exact same card as the 8800gs, just with a different name. There is 0 difference hardware wise or software wise for that matter.

Oh it is a bad card? How is it bad? Could you show me some reviews or benchmarks please? I am having trouble finding these reviews.

Spulat, do you know the performance difference between the cards? I'll give you a hint, it is less than 95/45. In fact neither card is straight up superior. They are in a strange position to compete with each other while in the same price point.

Why then does the 9600gt cost more? because people keep blindly suggesting it to each other which raises demand.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

A slip up on his part, but ditch the attitude man.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

There is no ill attitude intended toward anyone posting here. Could you highlight the areas that make it appear that there is? Perhaps send me a pm.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/151...ard/index.html
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Actually, I'm confused. I know the card is just a renamed 8800, and I'm pretty sure I posted an article about Nvidia's renaming scam that talked about it. I asked to make sure you posted the correct link since your title did not match.

From just one article on the subject:
                However, not everyone can bother with keeping track of the numbers, as some actually do have a life, and these companies not only know it, but count on it. But what if we looked a bit closer? Doesn't it seem that they simply capitalize on confusion and lack of knowledge?

At the same time the rebranding tactic shows a signs of a weak roadmap and a strong competition and you can be sure that if a company would have a new chip it wouldn't simply reuse its old chip and rebrand it. This is also an important piece of the puzzle.

I’d say that this is probably the easiest way to build a sleazy reputation for a company, as many enthusiasts are simply disgusted by such tactics. On the other hand, it’s the unsuspecting non-experienced end-users that pay the price, and who are we to deny these companies their cash inflow?
                Another
                The pre-overclocked XFX Geforce 8800GS XXX card runs at 680MHz core and 1700MHz for Shader processors. 8800 GS XXX core speeds are the highest among the cards we tested today, but the crippled G92 core is just not enough to fight 8800 GT or 8800 GTS cards. 96 Stream processors and 192-bit memory interface with 384MB of memory made this card clearly inferior to 8800 GT.
                and

Nvidia's Geforce 9 generation features a couple of low-cost cards, among which you’ll find 9600 GSO. This card is positioned above 9500 GT but it sells at a price similar, or a bit lower than 9600 GT. We’ve seen many new cards this month, but many of those were just rebranded old stuff. Sadly, Geforce 9600 GSO is not an exception to that rule, as this card is nothing but the old Geforce 8800 GS with a fancy new name.

Many of you probably never heard of 8800 GS, as only a couple of partners such as Asus and XFX incorporated it into their offer. We tested it and you can read the review here. Not long after it was announced, 8800 GS was rebranded into Geforce 9600 GSO.
                Here is some actual review numbers
                http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...1&limitstart=1

Notice it only beats a stock 9600 if you overclock it and only if you stay low rez. And for the testing, they are playing Crysis at LOW.

And what I am saying above, since it seems to have struck a nerve with you, is if if I'm going to spend money on a card, I don't want to buy something that is going to make me wish still wish I had bought something better 5 mins. after I get it home. I can say that speaking from experience, and I do NOT "blindly " suggest cards to people. And you know I also do not suggest people buy top end stuff either, as that is just as much a waste as buying low end.

But your point is valid that this is a very affordable card. If a young guy reading this forum and really wants to upgrade his card, he could cut a couple of lawn and afford $50.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The comment about blindly suggesting cards was supposed to illustrate why the 9600gt was more popular and therefor more pricey. It was not meant to be directed any persons in particular.

There are many people out there who this would be a great upgrade for and I don't want them to miss a deal because they are being influenced to think that it is "weak" and will be "crush"ed.

It isn't personal, I just feel very adamantly that this is the right right card for a certain group of buyers like myself who want to pay as little as they have to to play as happily as they can. From my research this is the best price performance available. I'd be happy for someone to disagree. But, if they do I want them to back it up with something.

Re branding the card doesn't directly make it bad, nor are cards always re branded when they are bad. I might think it is lame, but that doesn't stop me from considering the card. The middle one is true enough, but it doesn't really give you an impression of how much better/worse they are. 25/35%(gt/gts).

I hope this is cool?
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Unfortunately the link you gave doesn't give a price? It indicates it is an inactive item? Perhaps the deal has passed.

I took a quick look through Newegg and most of the similar 9600GSO cards were just shy of $100. Now I also looked at similar cards in that range and the 9600GT is just over $100 and there was a 8800GT for $110 from PNY. If was to recomemend a gaming card in the $100 dollar range and had those three choices I would pick the 8800GT. It would be the best performing for my money. I would argue that the $10-$20 you save purchasing the GSO is not in step with the performance hit you would take and hence make the GT a better value, especially if you plan to hold onto your card for a year or more.

It's not always about the cheapest best performing card but the value to performance the price gets you IMO :) Interesting discussion.

Comment

Yep deal is over(card may just be out of stock at the moment). The card was $45 AR, nowhere close to $100.

The 9600gso(s) around 100 are not a good deal, do not buy them.

However, there is this deal as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130356

$5 more but has a bonus item as well.
                      Last edited by Namebot; 09-25-2008, 11:29 AM.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Well for $50 that is a great card. Nothing else at that price would even play a game :row__593: However if you are buying a card to play any games from 2007+ I would say that it would be better to save your $50 until you can afford a card in the low $100 range.

Comment

UPDATE:

Use coupon code VGA92613 to get an addidtional $14 off.

This brings the price to $36 AR.

This is for the EVGA model in post #11.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

It's not a bad card if you're running older games and something like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, but have no plans to run anything else (at medium to low res).

Going to put it in a rig for a friend (the same XFX card).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the evga 9600 GSO can be overclocked to be faster then the 8800 GT but then again you can just overclock the 8800 GT...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X