Vista 64-bit help please..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64-bit help please..

Well, I cannot get CoD4 to run on this new box...everythign has installed fine, updated fine, all seemed well until trying to fire up the game..

What is weird is that the single-player is fine..works like a champ, but I hit the multi-player, and it crashes with an "iwd3.exe has stopped working" message..

I do not know where to go and try to turn off the UAC thing, but I need to find out and try..

Also, it asks if I want to "Allow" that exe to run after clicking on it..it does not ask me this for the single-player..

Can anyone think of anything to try?

I right-clicked on the icon and there are a lot of choices for "compatability modes" etc, and I spent a couple hours trying different settings, but same exact result each time...

it is 64-bit Ultimate with SP1 and every update...

Any help would be greatly appreciated fellas..

Birdie :)

Re: Vista 64-bit help please..

Birdie, I am not in front of a Vista machine right now, so I can't tell you exactly where to turn off UAC.

Search in the Windows help on UAC or "turn off UAC" and it should give you a link that will take you to the right place. I'm sure it is under control panel somewhere.

After you turn UAC off, I would turn your virus scan off, turn windows defender off, turn the firewall off.

Try seeting your shortcut to "run as Administrator"

I have Vista 64 as my second dual boot. I will try to load COD4 this weekend.

Comment

I run COD4 on Vista64 with no problems. Try what beaker424 says and let us know.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

I will find that UAC thing and turn it off..although Bronco leaves his on and has ni issue starting the game.

I have tried the "Run As Administrator" as well with the same result..

I also will turn all that other stuff off as well and try again..:)

Comment

I have installed and ran COD4 on my friends Vista 64 box. I would try the UAC (think like beaker said it's under the control panel area?)

Try re-installing the software but when you run the install .exe install as administrator. That may help?

The first time I installed COD4 on my friends box it was a mess, it froze on me and I ctr + alt + del to get out of it. Needless to say it was messed up and had to be re installed to work properly. Did you encounter an weirdness during install? Note: this was pre SP1 though.

Comment

I did as you suggest Longbow..ran the install .exe from the "Run as Administrator" and install seemed flawless..the single-player works flawlessly as well..

Comment

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Turn User Account Control on or off

At that point it will pester you, telling you UAC IS OFF OH NOEZ! Follow these steps to set the security shield notifications how you want it: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-xp-and-vista/

I run Vista x64 and have not had issues with CoD4, and UAC is always the first thing I turn off when I build a new load of Vista. So far as I know that's the only difference right now in your running x64 versus mine.

Edit: I see you replied just before I did. -but if you want to get rid of UAC, this is how you do it :)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

thanks brutha..! I will get on it when I get home..:)

Comment

Do what they said UAC=fail.

Comment

A search on the net shows that it's possibly related to a sound card/setting issue. Most of the threads I read mentioned Realtek onboard sound cards, but I couldn't tell if it was exclusive or not.

Possible solutions (I'd ignore that it's for a slightly different .exe error):

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firing...hread.id=11337

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=457676&page=2
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I had no problems with running CoD4 and UAC turned on, however I do have it turned off now. If I remember correctly I had the same problem. Make sure all is up to date drivers for all the cards, may even need to use an older driver for a certain card. I do think it was a sound driver issue with mine as well but so long ago I can't remember exactly what it was, may have even been a memory issue.

Comment

Thanks Tarpan..I will try all of those when I get home this evening..I am using the built-on Realtek sound, so hopefully one of those "fixes" will in fact, fix it for me! :)

Comment

I think Windows Firewall might be blocking "iwd3.exe" from running.

Go into your CoD4 folder and look for the "iwd3.exe", right-click on it, and press the "Unblock" button, then "OK".

That should probably fix your problem.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

When I was turning off the firewall, it had a list of things that it would let through the ports, and CoD4 was listed, but I turned the whole thing of anyways as the machine is only on when I am setting there using it.

I also found that "unblock" thing in my fumbling with the desktop icon and it still yields the same result of the program stopping..

Comment

Are you running a third-party firewall? If so, have you set it up correctly to allow outgoiing connections?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X