In light of a recent crash...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In light of a recent crash...

I struggled with my old 250GB Hard Drive in light of a recent Google Hijacker. Then, when windows was installed fine, the registry got corrupted and made a mess of the hard drive. Ubuntu reformatted it for me (where windows could not).

I ordered a new 500GB hard drive over night (sitting beside me, god bless new egg), and want to put windows on the 500GB.

When I swap in the new 500GB, will it want to name itself "D:"?

EDIT: My old 250GB was put for quite the ride with the whole windows mess (probably not the most stable anymore) so until further notice, it's a data slave. No, I will not be running raid.
    Skud

Re: In light of a recent crash...

As long as you unplug your current 250 the 500 will still be C, but it has to the the only drive connected.

you can then of course reconnect the other drive after the 1st is set up.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

however you configure the drive in bios (with SATA drives, there are no master / slave options - the bios sets the boot order.) then how you install windows will determine which drive is c:
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I think I'll do things manually - if I want to use ubuntu I'll unplug my 500 windows installation and plug in my 250 ubuntu.

cheers, (and greetings from the new hard drive)
        Skud

Comment

You couldn't do RAID if you wanted to. You have 2 completly different drives.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
            I think I'll do things manually - if I want to use ubuntu I'll unplug my 500 windows installation and plug in my 250 ubuntu.

cheers, (and greetings from the new hard drive)
            thats a horrible way to do things. install windows, then install linux, and use the boot loader to manage the installs.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

maybe he mixed raid with jbod