55nm GeForce 9-series cards to get new names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55nm GeForce 9-series cards to get new names

Oh my god, right after we just had that thread talking about renaming their cards comes word they are about to do it all again.

55nm GeForce 9-series cards to get new names

The effective naming change will reportedly apply to all 55nm GeForce 9-series cards, which will Nvidia will re-badge as GT 100-series offerings. TG Daily elaborates, "By the end of 2008, Nvidia will be offering today's 9000 series as G100, GT120, GT130, GT140 and GT150 models."
    but the good news:

As a side note, TG Daily mentions that Nvidia also has newer GTX 200 cards lined up for a launch on October 15. That's all the article says, but if we had to guess, we'd bet the launch has to do with that 55nm GT200 die-shrink we've been hearing about since May.
    One of the comments after the article sums it up nicely:

ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121266
    Multiple choice:
    a) it's a 9800GT
    b) it used to be a 8800GT
    c) it's an ultimate so it's a 9800GT+ , or maybe an 8800GT+
    d) it's really a 8800GTS with 128SP, flashed to a 9800GT
    e) it's a 9800GTS
    Nvidia what has become of you?
    The answer btw is all of the above
    collapse

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 55nm GeForce 9-series cards to get new names

Somehow I don't feel so bad about acquiring an ATI card.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

nvidia isnt taking the recent dethroning lightly, its like a technological version of a celebrity going insane... its quite entertaining to watch
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

They most certainly are not naming these cards in any way I would call logical.

On the plus side, this may result in some good deals for people who are in the know. Then again it may just result in having to look at too many benchmarks.

This isn't the first time this kind of stuff has been done. The last time before this I believe was ATI renaming the 1300 to 1550 and 700 to 1150. So I wouldn't expect this kind of behavior to end any time soon.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
          They most certainly are not naming these cards in any way I would call logical.

On the plus side, this may result in some good deals for people who are in the know.

And on the downside some poor SOB's are going to get ripped off buying an old version of a card or paying top dollar for the not so top of the line cards.

It seems like nVidia is going insane rather quickly. However I bet that from a sales stand point, simply calling the cards something else with a spiffier name simply spurs on sales for them. So for people in the know it appears like their bat $hit crazy, but for your average person just trying to get a newer card it makes perfect sense.:row__635:

Comment

The ASUS EN9800GT Ultimate isn't a hell of a whole lot different than my 8800GT.

Oh wait, they'll be calling those 9800GTs: GT180s.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll try to keep on top of this mess and see if I can't sort it all out when it is released, including which ones are marked up.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

All this would have made me want to do, is just wait for the next generation cards and make sure the core is a different model. -and then verify that the chip is in fact new or at least significantly revised.

In fact, this makes me SKEPTICAL and SUSPICIOUS of anything NVidia puts out now...
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

the en9800gt is a flashed 8800gts g92... overclocked from 650 to 725 cpu and 1950 to 2000 memory.... thats it, if i flashed my 8800gts to act like a 9800gt, i could a 9800gt along side mine and run them in SLI