• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1Gbps Fiber-Optic Service Arrives in Japan, USA still sucks

This just popped up on Gizmodo:

1Gbps Fiber-Optic Service Arrives in Japan on October 1

Worst part is the price: $56 month

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 1Gbps Fiber-Optic Service Arrives in Japan, USA still sucks

OHWWHEWRWERWE

We pay 55$ for our Broadband! BAH!
    Skud

Comment

I pay that much for tin cans and string. At least, I think that's what I have, given the quality of my Comcraptic (TM) connection. Regular disconnects and stalls.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Roflcopter...tin cans and string. :p

Just wait for it to trickle down to the U.S. Japan is a pretty small country by comparison (and the population ration per square mile is higher) and is pretty high tech as far as countries go, so I'm not surprised they have 1 gbit/s fiber optic connections for consumers.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

and Canada is still a **** hole for internet...

C'MON !!!

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Canada's in about the same boat the U.S. is in. :p
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's going to bring up the whole argument of "well the USA is a zillion times larger and far less dense than Japan, therefore blah blah blah".

It's a combination of geography, and the companies who source the intertubes connections here, and all the politics and greed involved. End of story. :)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                It's going to bring up the whole argument of "well the USA is a zillion times larger and far less dense than Japan, therefore blah blah blah".

It's a combination of geography, and the companies who source the intertubes connections here, and all the politics and greed involved. End of story. :)
                I basically pointed to that in my first reply. :) Glad to see someone else sees it and acknowledges it.

Although, I think it's bound to happen, just that it will expand outward from coastal cities and from there it will hit other major cities more inland, then spread out to more rural areas.

The 1 gbit/s line brings up another point (referring back to the streaming HD content thread), if and when most countries have this line to consumers, HD streaming becomes a real possibility. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, it might already by a old standard.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I want Speakeasy over fiber. I'm betting most fiber ISPs will have a bonehead ToS that prevents one from running a server and discourages use of an alternate OS (like Linux). Speakeasy is friendly to both of these.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Canada's in about the same boat the U.S. is in. :p
                    Depends where you live. I'm out near vancouver and we get two options for internet. Dial-up or 512 kb/s...

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

HAH!! Try Northern Ireland....i get 0.5Mb!!! Although the fastest in the country is 6!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
                        Depends where you live. I'm out near vancouver and we get two options for internet. Dial-up or 512 kb/s...
                        And the same is true in the U.S. Some more remote places can only get 512 ISDN or 384kbps satellite internet. Others still rely on 56k. :p
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My provider in Norway recently started offering 50mbit/s.

Comment

Japan and I assume Norway as well basically have socialized broadband. If I'm not mistaken Softbank (yahoo) pretty much owns all of the digital telecom in Japan. The vision of Yahoo was pretty much to make one proprietary broadband connection for every household that handled the web, TV, and phone all in one. Looks like they're doing that and more.

The Americas have too much bickering and mongering to have that kind of progress. Kinda tough to fatten the pipe when there are like a dozen different leases you have to navigate just to be heard.

Personally I think the U.S. needs to socialize their telecom as well.

Comment

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame :(

Oh well at least we can still get this :D
                              http://gizmodo.com/5056828/panasonic...ruin-your-life

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X