Cisco Catylst Gurus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Catylst Gurus?

Hey folks and Network Guru's! I have this lovely Cisco Catalyst 2948G network Switch just humming away and I feel as if I gotta mess with it..

How can I Monitor the traffic (Bandwith and maybe protocol) coming in and going out of the switch? Is there something internal with the IOS that will allow me to do it? ... I have seen a couple of Network monitoring programs that state they will do it..but to a Newb they are a bit too complicated.

I wonder..since my Gateway is the switch....if I monitored all Trafffic in and out on the .1 Ip address (the Gateway..) would that be the same as the switch Traffic?

Thanks for any tips.. (My Next question will be when I unpack that PIX firewall..and how to get that up and running.. ;-) )
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Cisco Catylst Gurus?

why in the world do you have a 48 port switch! lol, i want one to tinker with. i feel like i will know this in a month since i am currently enrolled in a cisco systems course. do you have CiscoWorks 2000? i beleive that is the program that works along side this switch. that would be your best bet on tracking bandwidth, as for protocol, i dont know if you can track it per say, but you can limit it (to one protocol i think).. dont quote me on that tho
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Welcome to hell :)

Look into RMON for your monitoring purposes. An open source tool like openNMS, which is a little less obtuse than Nagios, should help with visualization/monitoring. You could shell script something around IOS, but, counter intuitively, something like Nagios or openNMS actually make this all a lot easier.

If you run Linux, nettop is an awesome utility for giving you way more info than you probably need against your network. It supports netflow, so you can set it up to poll the switch as well.
      Do or do not, there is no try....
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
        Hey folks and Network Guru's! I have this lovely Cisco Catalyst 2948G network Switch just humming away and I feel as if I gotta mess with it..

How can I Monitor the traffic (Bandwith and maybe protocol) coming in and going out of the switch? Is there something internal with the IOS that will allow me to do it? ... I have seen a couple of Network monitoring programs that state they will do it..but to a Newb they are a bit too complicated.

I wonder..since my Gateway is the switch....if I monitored all Trafffic in and out on the .1 Ip address (the Gateway..) would that be the same as the switch Traffic?

Thanks for any tips.. (My Next question will be when I unpack that PIX firewall..and how to get that up and running.. ;-) )
        You have a couple options. You can always configure and enable SNMP (SNMPv3 please) and use a program such as MRTG to graph utilization on the various ports.

CiscoWorks is another option, but it's a bit more overhead than you'll probably need.

When you're talking about monitoring traffic, do you mean the data itself or just the traffic flows? In one case you're actually mirroring all the data flowing through the switch and sending it to one interface to be analyzed and the other you're monitoring the fact that you're using 12/255 utilization on fe0/12 and 27/255 on fe0/13 and graphing the results.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          You have a couple options. You can always configure and enable SNMP (SNMPv3 please) and use a program such as MRTG to graph utilization on the various ports.
          I managed to get Cacti working on my Linux colo, using a 5 minute poll of the iptables counters. Works pretty well. Cacti is actually more natively targeted at SNMP and it took some figuring out to get it to query something else.

http://cacti.net/
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X