6 Must Have Replacement Tools when Fixing a Computer Infected by Virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Must Have Replacement Tools when Fixing a Computer Infected by Virus

This article was posted a couple days ago, and is a great bookmark to keep. I have never caught a virus that was so bad it was able to pull off some of these things, but I have heard of friends who have.

6 Must Have Replacement Tools when Fixing a Computer Infected by Virus

When a good and powerful virus infects a computer, most likely it will disable you from running Task Manager (taskmgr.exe), Registry Editor (regedit.exe), Command Prompt (cmd.exe), System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe), configuring Folder Options and hide the Run from Start Menu. Reason the virus does that is because most of the time it is “possible” for computer experts to remove the virus by using the built-in Windows programs without any third party tools.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 6 Must Have Replacement Tools when Fixing a Computer Infected by Virus

For a second there i thought that was my computer I am using at work, i got some horrible virus/spyware from downloading an MP3 of all things and Macafee didn't find it or alert me to it until after the damage was done, i initially used a pc tools thingy, but the recent release of that product (can't remember the name) isn't as good as the initial release.

Basically what has happened:
    I am no longer able to go into control panel
    I am no longer able to add/delete programs
    Basically control panel doesn't exist
    Basically Win32 doesn't exist

Now I am in the process of backing up a lot of my files via emailing them to my gmail, i have cleared my computer successfully, and i run spyware programs etc every day which takes forever bc my computer is very effing slow.......but bamboo i will def try this to see if it works.

If anyone has any solutions/suggestions for me other than telling my boss i effed up....let me know.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Combofix, runs off your desktop.No input required, you just run it and let it do it's thing. There is about a 1% chance it'll crash your OS though, so buyer beware. It's generally a last resort before reformatting type program that usually works quite well.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thank you for this.

Comment

They missed HiJackThis. Its a very nice program to use for creating logs of whats running on your system and in registry. Then you take these logs to http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/ . Read the forusm there to make sure you have completed the prereqs and they will help you recover from even some of the nastiest infestations.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

They didn't mention HiJackThis I think because the article was about tools that replace commonly used Windows apps that a good virus will try and block, not 3rd party tools.

Also, while I do use sites like techsupportfourms to post HiJack logs, don't forget about this thread I posted back in Feb., before I was even in an IHS.

5 Ways to Automatically Analyze HijackThis! Log File

One of those might help you catch something quickly without having to wait on help from the forum. They are pretty busy over there right now, and it can take days to get a reply sometimes.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The best-written virus is one you don't know you have. It completely conceals itself. That generally means a rootkit that gets in below the layers where AV software works.

Fortunately most viruses are dumb, and reveal themselves in various stupid ways. (The better ones reveal themselves because something outside the system doesn't like the way the system looks to the world, such as the excess mail that's spewing out of it.) That's why removing a virus is even possible while running Windows. But it's not possible for a properly-written virus.

In the server world, if a server is usurped, you never trust it again. You wipe the server (from independently-booted media), get your data from your backup and load it on a clean re-install of the OS.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X